Print Story Pizza Cutter of Doom
By duxup (Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 09:55:31 AM EST) (all tags)
Topics:

US Politics
Computer Improvements
Song Lyrics are Dumb
Some humorous news stories
House Guests
Photography

That Palin

Obviously this woman should be a Vice President.  Who better than someone who doesn't know what a VP does? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro2Yh9HoEM (skip to 2:50)

Despite the speech last night I suspect these dudes aren't the only Republicans who aren't fond of that pick.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg

Anyway the real political issues aside I'm in the camp that I find it ironic that this private family matter with her daughter's pregnancy should be treated as private when she is happy to legislate how other people should deal with things when they're pregnant.  Not that I think anyone should be poking around her daughter or harassing her.  I agree family matters like this should be off limits for people to poke at.  I just find it odd that while my neighbor might tell me to stay out of their business, they would happily legislate how I can or can not handle (abortion) my business in the same situation.  I know she believes it is wrong and such, but that still strikes me as an interesting situation.

In the interest of being fair and balanced I think this tidbit indicates we need to look into Obama's history a bit more.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooKkyikXw0

Computers

I suppose Mac's already do all this but I don't care if they do (the iMacs don't count). I propose the following changes to computer monitors be made standard:

Add an integrated USB hub.  4 ports at least.  Preferably two facing to the side, two facing forward.  Some monitors have this, but not enough.

Add integrated memory card reader.  Must read the usual memory card formats.  This may be mounted on the front (best) or side.

In addition to a monitor power button for the monitor, there should be a system power button, and a reset button that can power on / off the actual system and reset when needed.

Yeah I know there will be more cables but a lot of that stuff doesn't need to be solely on the computer itself or hanging off some some USB hub and would be just as handy on the monitor.  Heck toss a volume control knob on there too.

US Election Coverage

Over the last few months I've seen repeated national polls within or close to the margin of error.   After the last few elections it seems silly that this is almost exclusively the data we're presented in terms of the McCain vs. Obama race.  A few nights ago CNN actually started showing some info with a map and electoral votes.  Even if it was for a few minutes, thank you CNN.

Song Lyrics

You know what is useless?  Song lyrics.  There are tons of web sites that have lyrics to songs that I'm curious about and most of the time it doesn't tell me squat about the song.  I'm willing to come up with my own meaning but sometimes I want to know what the artist intended.

Your Password Has Changed

I suppose if this happened to me I'd be disappointed that they can just SEE my password, but the act itself is kinda funny http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hereford/worcs/7585098.stm.

Terrorism

The day we abandon the Jerry Haaf Memorial Ramp is the day the terrorists have won http://www.startribune.com/local/27608044.html.  I wonder how people felt parking there while the HAZMAT folks were wandering in and out in their space suit like outfits.

House Guests

An old friend stopped by for the weekend with his wife and kids.  Children are 15 months and 4 years old (I think 4...).   Anyway the four year old girl was insanely well behaved and very talkative.  She constantly referred to Mrs. duxup as "your girlfriend" as she kept forgetting her name.  Talk talk talk talk, very cute.

The 15 month old is a little walking monster.  Babies seem so cute when they're helpless but given control of their bodies and a desire to do ANYTHING but sit in your arms and smile at you it seems they become something else.  That's not to say he wasn't adorable.  While playing a game of catch with him he spontaneously ran over to me and gave me a hug and ran back to his spot to resume the game.   At this stage of development he can only be called relentless and generally cranky as he is teething like mad and frustrated about his lack of communication ability.  Heck when offering him something while eating even the sight of something he doesn't want would disturb him.

Anyway much fun was had as we went to the Zoo and my buddy and I managed to squeeze in a Gopher Football game, it was a win but if they win 3 games this year they'll be lucky.

Pizza Cutter

I have this talking Homer Simpson Pizza cutter.  It sits at the back of our silverware drawer.  Inadvertently it makes for a fun surprise for guests who when closing the silverware drawer set off a muffled Homer Simpson comment about pizza.  If they're lucky a whole series of Homer quotes.

Photography

Word of the Canon 50D leaked and then was released.  Mmmmm tempting.  http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

Not to be outdone info on Nikon's 90D came out with the always inevitable video features for a DSLR. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/

Just like digicams video is going to end up being standard on DSLRS, it's just a question of when each model and manufacturer does it and how the worlds of video and photogaraphy come together.  I'm sure there will stll be specialy products for each purpose but IMO the video and still world will eventually for the most part end up being the same hardware product lines.

< Fear and Loathing in Voting | I was writing a diary about Doctor Who earlier >
Pizza Cutter of Doom | 52 comments (52 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Palin by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:04:32 AM EST
My mother is WILD with support for Palin.  I asked her about the whole pregnant daughter thing and she just replied, "sometimes these things just happen."  It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut and not remind her of everything she has ever said about young and/or unmarried pregnancies.

I just love how people are willing to overlook anything and everything when it suits them.

Daughter by duxup (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:09:22 AM EST
I don't really care about the pregnant daughter thing.  If that was all I didn't like about her there would be no big deal.  I did like the Daily Show video collection with Bill O'Reilly talking about how it is nobody's business, and then showing his show where he preceded to blame Brittany Spears parents for her younger sister's pregnancy....

____
I haven't talked to my parents yet by theboz (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:11:26 AM EST
However, they went to a god fucking John McCain rally on Saturday, so I am sure they approve.

- - - - -
on Saturday by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:14:10 AM EST
remind me to tell you about the near-argument I had with my father regarding the Secret Service.  it was amusing.

Heh, I can imagine by theboz (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:14:58 AM EST
I'm sure it's interesting.

- - - - -
Dear lord by duxup (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:52:59 AM EST
I'm lucky, my wife's father is all sorts of into the Democratic party playing the political games when he was younger.

____
well by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:51:33 AM EST
She is having the baby and getting married - which means she is not "escaping responsibility." That's what conservatives care about.

Then again, conservative voters believed that Bush had a more distinguished and dignified military career than Kerry, so any evidence can be used to fit the required views.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Babies by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:47:27 AM EST
I've been noticing that every time someone says something like "so, what about that trooper she got fired?" or "uh...husband belonged to a secessionist party!?" the immediate response is "STOP SMEARING HER ABOUT THE UNBORN BABY!!!"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i can't imagine by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #49 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 10:28:52 AM EST
what it would be like if the spouse of a democratic party nominee belonged to a separatist party.

I wonder by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 12:52:49 PM EST
if that marriage was known about before the nomination. Or whether the guy knew about it at all before it was announced. And why aren't they married already?

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I'm guessing by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 01:26:51 PM EST
it wasn't, and was subsequently demanded. McCain's campaign has been inept at best.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Good question by duxup (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 02:30:58 PM EST
The only thing I read was the father's mother saying that they were going to get married anyway and this is just a "bonus".  Some bonus.

Word has it the father's no private Myspace page said he doesn't want kids.

____
msrat's mom called her minutes after the VP by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:05:35 AM EST
announcement: "Well? What do you think of her?" msrat, being at work, had not heard about this and had no opinion (like she'd share one with her mom) anyway.

The Homer Simpson bottle opener is cooler. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:06:44 AM EST
That is all.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I have that! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:48:02 AM EST
"mmmm....beer....[drools]"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
15-month old house guest by theboz (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:13:21 AM EST
You know, the characteristics you wrote just about describe my daughter precisely.  She can walk, she can say some words, she is alternating between fiercely independent and fiercely clingy, and she wants things her way or she freaks out.  It's like, "No, you can't put daddy's shotgun in your mouth, now go finish your whiskey like a good girl" and it's the end of the world.

- - - - -
Must read the usual memory card formats. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:23:56 AM EST
So, CF, SD, xD, memory stick.  Etc. Etc.

I just wish the camera manufacturers would standardize on one or two formats.  Rather than the 7+ we have now.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Two are easy to avoid by marvin (4.00 / 1) #36 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 05:57:21 PM EST
memory stick = Sony

xD = Olympus

Just don't buy those cameras.

Can't avoid Olympus by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #52 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:21:12 AM EST
They are the only ones who make a camera that's robust enough to take out surfing.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Amen by duxup (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:36:16 PM EST
It is crazy but folk like Sony will always find a way to introduce a new formant to just rip people off.

Fortunately prices are getting so cheap that you're getting insane amounts of memory for cheap that it almost doesn't matter.

____
fivehundredthirtyeight.com by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:26:38 AM EST
is a geekier polling site, based on aggregate likely electoral votes.

didnt work for me by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:53:13 AM EST
its numeric equiv was a spam site too.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
www.fivethirtyeight.com/ by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:54:10 AM EST
no hundred, my bad

No worries by cam (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:04:40 AM EST
I subscribed accidentally to several different irreputable websites though. $5 for 25 websites is a deal right?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Sarah would allow BC and Abortion. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:40:37 AM EST
Just not to the degree that the baby-killers want, that's all.

abortion by garlic (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:56:22 AM EST
if you'll die without it. Otherwise, no abortion.

I haven't heard what she thinks about birth control.

She also is pro abstinence only sex education.

She's fine with barrier methods for other people. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:00:38 AM EST
Abortifacient chemicals, of course, are beyond the pale.
Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't looked into her stance on the matter.

I'm voting for the guy from my state. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:07:57 AM EST

anti choice was in depth enough for me.

the pill is not an abortificiant by R343L (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:12:08 AM EST
Whatever nonsense some groups spout.

The jury is still out on that. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:38:57 AM EST
Some studies suggest, in light of our non-complete understanding of how the Pill works, that oral contraceptives may prevent implantation of viable fertilized embryos in the uterus.

Yeah, yeah, keep backpeddling by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 11:50:36 AM EST
When President Palin succeeds McCain, I know what author to a Field Guide to D&C is headed for re-education camp.

so yeah maybe by R343L (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 12:27:51 PM EST
It might prevent implantation. But mostly you don't ovulate when you're on the pill. There can be no zygote implanting (it's an oocyte until it is fertilized and then it's a zygote until it implants) if there is no egg.

And anyway, this only "matters" because some people are irrational and somehow see a person's use of birth control, maybe, just maybe, inadvertently causing a zygote to go down the drain as somehow different from the many, many, many more zygotes (and actual embryos!) that Nature/God/Cthulhu has decided shouldn't become people.

This post was originally much longer and more vulgar because the attempt to push back "life" to the point of absurdity -- when real abortions are already incredibly difficult for the poor and young to get in many places and contraception (and knowledge about it!) is also hard to find -- is one of the few things that makes me violently angry.

Rachael

You're not *supposed* to ovulate on the Pill. . . by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:03:25 PM EST
There are loads of Pill babies walking around, drawing governmental assistance, so that's not a great point to rally around.
As far as your second point, that's dangerously treading upon God's domain. Who are we to play God at this serious junction?

yeah by R343L (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:11:21 PM EST
Mostly attributable to people who don't take their pills regularly or have some other medical reason why it doesn't work.

I know I'm not ovulating on the pill. I shall leave it at that.

Also by R343L (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:13:45 PM EST
The God I would believe in were I less utterly unsure about these things would understand why not having children is better for some people to have fulfilling lives. And welcome people making reasonable choices.

In other words, the God you're speaking of can go fuck himself.

I think God saw you write that bit of blasphemy. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #41 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 12:18:26 AM EST
No matter how long I've been here, some days I swear I am this close to
making  "REMINDER -- I AM A GIANT FUCKING TROLLY TROLL."  my new .sig.

i always sort of figured by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 02:23:38 PM EST
that medically making my uterus as inhospitable as possible wasn't that much different than people who are born with inhospitable uteri, except that mine was a choice (and a side effect of ending the terrible pain every month).  lots and lots of fertilized eggs never implant, even without the pill.

---------
Ones that don't implant naturally-- by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 02:59:17 PM EST
That's God's will, madame.

and if it's god's will by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:21:24 PM EST
that i be pregnant, i will be, pill or no.

---------
Pro maybe by motty (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 01:38:45 PM EST
Not very good at it, though.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Hey. There's valid reasons to diss her by marvin (4.00 / 1) #37 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:21:51 PM EST
Plenty of them. This, however, is not one of them.
Look at your own history, or your constitution. There is no defined role for VP other than taking over if your prez croaks, and breaking ties in the senate. Everything else is at the whim of the president. The VP didn't even get invited to cabinet meetings on a regular basis until well into this century.

It is entirely up to the president to determine the role of the VP. I wouldn't accept the VP job without a lot of assurance that it would be meaningful either. The VP slot is often a political dead end (Mondale, Quayle, Gore). You get that job, and your career is over. It is a better job to remain governor of a state than end up spending four years staring at the walls at Number One Observatory Circle. Kind of like the difference between managing your local computer shop, and being a night janitor at IBM. Sure, IBM is a bigger and more prestigious company. But who wants to be a night janitor?

I don't want to stop anyone from carrying on discussing perceived hypocrisy, poor policy, reluctance to mention the economy, failure to mention the subprime crisis, or any other valid complaint.

However, that this one out of context comment is even an issue speaks volumes about your media. I'd expect better on here at least.

As for the 50d, I'll keep my Pentax K20D. I don't need 6.5 fps. Built in image stabilization, and the ability to use my 30 year old manual lenses with in-camera image stabilization is waaay nicer. Also, have you read about Sony's new 24 megapixel full frame? That sensor should be showing up on a Nikon soon.

Cameras by duxup (2.00 / 0) #38 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:33:58 PM EST
There are a lot of cool cameras from different companies, let me know when you find a cheap way to switch between them without rebuying similar lenses.

As for her statement it might just have been something to indicate she hadn't thought about it much without saying that exactly,  however yes some VP candidates are dumb enough to say that absolutely seriously.  I'm undecided if she meant it literally.

____
There's some adaptors by marvin (4.00 / 1) #40 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:58:51 PM EST
I know some people run the old Pentax Takamur glass on their Canons, but that might be the ancient screw-mount stuff.  For the in-lens image stabilization, you're probably out of luck on that fantasy of compatibility, though. It would be nice if camera lenses were standardized. However, Olympus just brought out a few new mounts in the past few years, and Samsung is promising a new SLR lens mount as well, so the future looks the same as the past. Vendor lock-in.

I stopped taking film pictures and retired my SLR in 2003. The digital SLRs in my price range didn't have the performance I wanted until just now, so I lived with point and shoot digitals for the past five years, and am delighted to be using my old glass again.

I'm too lazy to waste time attempting to future-proof my lenses. I'll be using this K20D until it falls apart, or I can buy something dramatically better as a cheap impulse buy. It is an excellent camera, and as I am merely a mediocre photographer, I don't expect to ever outgrow it. It has 14.2 mp, and I've never printed anything bigger than 8x10, so it's not like I need more pixels. An APS-C sized CCD sensor is already performing near the resolving power of the mediocre glass I own. A better camera would need better lenses, and I cannot justify dropping $1k and up on each lens. All of my lenses put together would sell on ebay for less than $1500. There is enough Pentax glass out there that someone will produce adapters well into the future.

If you put her quote in context, I think my interpretation stands:

What is it exactly that the VP does every day? I'm used to being very productive and workin' real hard and in administration. We'd want to make sure that the VP slot would be a fruitful type of position especially for Alaskans and the things we're trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the US before I can even start addressing that question.

Govs by duxup (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 05:36:15 AM EST
I think one aspect you're missing is that EVERY state Governor when asked early on if they'd like a new Federal job talks about what they're accomplishing for their state.  That part of the comment is about as standard as it gets.  They don't want to be seen as power hungry when in fact the opportunity for advancement hasn't presented itself.

Also I'm still not willing to pass on the idea that she is in fact a moron and doesn't know enough to comment on the VP position historically.

____
Don't pass on the idea by marvin (2.00 / 0) #46 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:26:56 AM EST
But one data point does not a line make. Two data points could still be a parabola or other type of curve, unless proven otherwise. You'll have plenty of opportunity to add data points and confirm your hypothesis in the debates and interviews over the coming two months.

VP by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #42 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 03:17:34 AM EST
I was under the impression that someone who is a VP is more likely, not less likely, to become president (compare the success rate of VPs who run for Office with the success rate of non-VPs who run for the same position).

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Could be, but doubt it by marvin (4.00 / 1) #43 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 04:42:41 AM EST
Not sure what the percentage is for VPs overall. In the last 50 years, Ford and Bush sr. made it. Nixon took a few tries. Not sure about before that. I think that Johnson is a special case, as he was re-elected as a sitting president. The last few certainly haven't pulled it off.

Cheney, for certain would have zero chance, at least without the assistance of Diebold.

Sometimes by duxup (2.00 / 0) #44 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 05:33:09 AM EST
Although she might not have to get elected with McCain's healthy history and age...

____
Looked again from a different angle by marvin (4.00 / 1) #47 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:44:09 AM EST
If you were to look at the percentage of VPs who become president, it is <50%.

If you compare that to the huge pool of candidates who run for the nomination, then I have to agree with codemonkey_uk, as only 10-20% or fewer of the non-VPs who start out trying to run for president (Hilary Clinton, Huckabee, etc) actually make it.

So my use of the term dead end is a bit harsh. For several of the past few VPs, that turned out to be true, but serving as VP does appear to offer a huge advantage when it comes to running for President.

Not really by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #50 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 11:16:53 AM EST
Only five Vice Presidents have gone on to be elected President, and three of those were before 1840. Of the last five VPs to run, two (Bush sr. and Nixon) won, which is essentially worse than average.

(Though nine have become President due to death or resignation.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

map with electoral votes by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #48 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 10:23:08 AM EST
try
www.fivethirtyeight.com or www.electoral-vote.com

Palin's Family by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #51 Sun Sep 07, 2008 at 05:28:42 AM EST
In general I think a politician's family is off limits.  In particular I think that if a candidate continually reintroduces their family into the campaign that the family becomes fair game.  Either the family is off limits or it's in limits.  You can't use you family as a political prop while telling other people that family is off limits.  Well, you can, but  then you'd be a hypocrite.

---------------