Print Story on two years
Love
By clock (Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 03:57:52 AM EST) (all tags)
or three and two and one all at once.

so as of today, i have been married for exactly two years.  i have been "with" my wife for three and we have had a beautiful son for one.  i thought that it would be a good idea to give a state of the marital union address.

i would say that the state of the union is fantastic.  we're a very low-key couple.  there isn't a lot of stress and most of the little stress there is stems from readily identifiable sources like "the hobo stand."  now, allow me to bring you up to date on what exactly a "hobo stand" is.  you have probably seen the movie "the incredibles."   if you haven't, drop what you're doing and go check it out.  it's amazing.  in it, there is a character named edna mode.  she refers to mr. incredible's original costume as "ah yes, the hobo clothes."  my beloved and i have a bit of a ritual where we dump clothes that are capable of being re-worn without washing onto a cedar chest near the foot of the bed.  it was, in our house, the original hobo stand.  our hoboness eventually spread to the entry hall where we have a small stand on which we keep the dog leash, keys, wallets, etc.  when my keys and phone migrated to the television, it was a new hobo outpost.  my books have since colonized an end table along with several cables and my ipod accessories to create the hobo table.  when the house reaches a critical mass of clutter and disarray, we wonder aloud where the barrels and bindles are now that we live in a train yard or "hobo zone."  and then, like a strange biological clock, once a month my wife goes insane and sends two or three bags off to charity so that the balance can be restored.  we are in an endless struggle against the hobo. however, the hoboness isn't all that bad, really.

most days we are much like we are in our discussions here.  there are a pile of jokes that seem to run forever.  we have deep interests in the same things and we are generally supportive of one another in those areas where we press on alone.  she's very good about my time in the studio and i try to keep my mockery to a minimum when it comes to the detailed research projects she takes on with regularity.  i really am amazed at how much she can learn about a subject with very little time.  the action plans are the best.  i do enjoy seeing theory go practical and we get that a lot around our place.  our next set of projects, for those keeping track, include the winter garden, the great cloth diaper experiment of '08 and backpacking with a little dude.

speaking of the dude...

of course we have added the dude to our menagerie.  he has brought a whole new level to everything we do.  i really understand teamwork now.  i have participated in large, carefully organized events that involve team members all over the world.  i have also done search and rescue work with self-organizing groups.  yet i have never participated in anything quite like a blow-out diaper in a public (family!) restroom and the unity that it creates between two people who desperately do not want to be covered in feces.  from bathing, to meals, to diapers and learning to get around we have become a team that works less on words than thoughts.  i wish i had a dime for every time we said the same thing at the same time.  and yeah, i'd like to have her out of my head once in a while.  it's a little creepy.  for the record: adding the dude to our family was the best decision we've made together to date.  every day is new with him around.

what's next?  i have no idea.  i do know that it keeps getting better and i'm happier now than i have ever been.  i love this woman more than i could imagine was possible a few years ago.  here's hoping it only goes up.  i love you punkin!  happy anniversary!
< Attn: Missing diary infidels | 32.1 Miles. 15.4 MPH. 170 BPM (at the top of the hill at the end of my ride...) >
on two years | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Happy Anniversary! by nightflameblue (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:09:05 AM EST
Congrats and many more!

Happy Anniversay Punkin!! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:47:35 AM EST
I love you so very much!

I'm surprised you didn't mention Ches Nous!

i remembered to mention it... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:50:12 AM EST
...right after i posted and got buried in meetings.  i'll review that separately...or you could do that.  you have the power to write a diary!  you do!

yay us!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

As of yesterday by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:56:34 AM EST
my parents have been married for exactly 41 years. So, keep up the good work.
Hey happy anniversary by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:59:34 AM EST
you weirdos.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
What's next? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:03:38 AM EST
More dude(tte)s! I mean really, what's taking so long?

Hear! Hear! by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:06:35 AM EST
I mean, come on, you have to at least reach replacement level or the tarists win.

Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Maybe clock and Stacky are in league by debacle (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:17:29 AM EST
With the turrrists.

Hmmm... good point. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:21:09 AM EST
I mean, no one named "Stacky" can be all bad but, when you get right down to it, what kind of weirdo calls themselves "clock"?

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:23:46 PM EST
No one says  How are the wife and kid?  they say how are the wife and kids.

Click
Yay ! by Phage (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:25:43 AM EST
Heh - Everyone has a hobo stand. Our problem is that it is turning into 'horizontal surface plaque' that threatens to engulf the house.
Only the threat of guests results in calling down the fire to clean it away.

IVMAWTP by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:33:19 AM EST
Ours is generally books, magazines and papers, which it seems like shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's a good thing we do have people visit from time to time, or we'll end up like those crazy people who've been reduced to wandering through a labyrinth of stacked books, papers, and things we should really get around to doing something with one day. Then, when we have guests or I just can't take it anymore, I throw everything I can get my hands on into a pile for ana, a pile for me, and a very large garbage bag full of stuff.

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Black bin liners by Phage (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:18:39 AM EST
Can be very theraputic.

i get mocked for mine by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 03:22:23 PM EST
both clothes and mail/assorted papers
Happy anniversary! by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:34:29 AM EST
I'm so happy for the three of you, that you managed to find (and create!) each other, and that there's clearly so much love and happiness in your little corner of the world.

Happy Anniversary you two by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:38:46 AM EST

Happy Anniversary! [nt] by R343L (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:48:24 AM EST

Happy happy! by ana (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:32:02 AM EST
It's sooo cool you guys managed to find each other. Ain't the intarwebs just the coolest thing evar? We should elect Al Gore something or other, just for inventing them.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Congratulations! by theboz (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:24:06 PM EST
I agree with the others on the having another baby thing.  You two should try for a girl (there's a technique to it.)  We're going to try for another baby next year, as are some of our neighbors, so if you all do it too we could start some kind of club for cranky pregnant women, beat down tired husbands, and neglected first children.  We can give the wives and kids those t-shirts that say, "Daddy drinks because I cry."

- - - - -