Print Story A Word In Your Ear...
By atreides (Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 11:47:05 AM EST) (all tags)
I guess this is where I say stuff and things. And even things and stuff.

Well, let's see... The new fancy boxes aren't bad, but I'm not sure whether they're my cup of tea. I'll think about it little while longer and get back to you on that.

I'm older than I've ever been and now I'm even older. So old that I'm about to have one of those anniversary of life things. I will soon be closer to 40 than to 30. Not quite sure how I feel about that.

Thinking about it, there's very little I want at this point in my life. Oh, sure, I'll never turn down 40K stuff, but I don't want gadgets and gizmos and other stuff like that. In fact, other than books, certain CDs and DVDs and possibly (because I'm lazy) a maid to come in once or twice a week, I don't really want anything at all.

Welsh Girl is doing well. Well, as well as someone who is pregnant can be. When I do deserve to be yelled at, she kicks it up a notch. When I don't, she finds a reason. But sometimes she's sweetness and light all up in my shizzle. And she can flip from one state to another with the snap of a finger. Frakin' hormones...

On the baby front, well, the spud is now officially a fetus. For you UKians, that would be "officially a foetus". No word on on whether it's despotes or despoina yet. That will probably be a few more weeks. No word on whether they'll let us drape the delivery room in purple yet, either. I don't think Welsh Girl knows I'm a little serious about that yet but I also don't think she'd oppose it if there's an option. I'm sure she'd like purple over sterile white if we can make that choice.

For you Austin or visiting Infidels: if you get a chance, try the Sunday brunch buffet at the Iron Cactus. I've never been terribly impressed with the place, but Sunday I went and it was awesome. It's a little pricey ($14 a person), but it's worth every cent. It's worth it to see the guy stand in front of you and make your omelet or watch them press the waffles. Add to that the steamers full of bacon and sausage and hash browns and migas and the entire tureen of maple syrup. Furthermore, farther down you find the lunch-ier selections such as various sandwich and taco/burrito makings (though I didn't get as good a gander at them because who's going to pass up breakfast?). At the end were the dessert tables. Bread pudding, flan, cheesecake snacks, mini-pastries... It runs from 10AM to 3PM, but it's pretty quiet and until about 1115-1130. Believe me when I say that my name is Atreides and I approve their brunch.

My job? Well, it's my job. I still don't love it but still don't hate it. It is nice to have my boss back after three weeks (two weeks in Germany and one down with bronchitis) because I need a little supervision and direction. If I have a boss, I do what I'm told. If I have an underling, I make sure they're still going, meaning I do what has to be done to keep them going. On my own, though, I get sidetracked too easily and eventually the distractions shut me down from being productive. Welsh Girl is in danger of leaving her job in the next few months. She and a friend of ours together do the job of three in her office. The friend, being fed up with the job, was thinking seriously about quitting. That would leave my pregnant wife, who for the sake of our child (and rightly so, I might add) wishes to avoid stress, doing the job of three people. And they'll leave her doing it because the friend did the job alone for a month until Welsh Girl got hired on. If they were smart, they'd hire a third right now to train because Welsh Girl is going to have to take off for a while to pop out a kid eventually. But they're not. But that's beside the point. The important part is that the friend is going to stay at least a little while longer. I'd support us both the best I could, but believe me, I certainly don't make enough to do it all myself. That would be a bitch and a half.

Any of you guys ever do business with AIT Domains? I bought 3 domain names through them last month a little while ago and it was easy and simple. Now I'm trying to hook up URL forwarding and it's turning into a nightmare. Couldn't get it to work online. Called Thursday and got someone who couldn't (or wouldn't) help me. Friday, I got someone downright rude. Yesterday, I got someone who helped and told me that technical help would contact me yesterday. They didn't. Today I spent 4 hours trying to get a human being and got the same guy who helped me yesterday. He kicked it up a notch to manager levels but basically, he can't help me either. That's good because at least one of the abortive attempts last week got charged to me. If I don't have a call by end of business today, I'm going to spend all night calling their support line if I have to. This is taking too damn long. If anyone has a different experience, let me know how I can make my experience more like yours. I know it isn't big money involved, but it's my and this has to be done.

Sarah Palin? Whaaaa? I know the McCain camp isn't totally stupid or anything, but I'm totally not getting it. What could you possibly get from this? You're putting up a pretty woman with some values and family pluses, but you're getting a crazy history that's giving your opponents a field day, pissing off some major movers in the party that you've manipulated (Romney, Pawlenty and probably other possible VP picks), ignoring far, far better female choices (Hutchinson, Rice, even Fiorina) and making a lot of people who back you question your wisdom. If you get something out of this, I don't see what. If it's true that you're a craps player, then I guess I can see how you're trying to roll the hard eight and get the big payoff. On the other hand, if you're going to treat government like a game, chess or bridge or go are far, far better analogies. If you're going to treat it like craps, well, I guess someone better pray for us all.

I've been leveraging a little synergy. Yesterday I got out the custom paint I had Home Despot mix up for me a few weeks ago and started painting my foamcore Thunderhawk Gunship. I'm thinking about taking it to an Apocalypse game tomorrow. It won't be done done, but it'll be done enough for these guys and this event. And when I'm actually done done with it, I have the feeling it's going to be great. :) The weapons look good and after a couple more thinned out coats, it'll look awesome. Of course, if GW actually comes out with a plastic Thunderhawk, I may still have to get one. :).

Actually, I take it back. I want a Dremel. Other than that, though, I'm good for now.

That, I think, is all.

< I'd already like to erase 2008 and it's not over yet | "Choking & Thinking in Osaki" >
A Word In Your Ear... | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The best case I can maek for Palin by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 11:50:03 AM EST
is that it energizes the radical right wing base, brings in lots of money, and hopefully the media will go overboard and she'll garner a large sympathy vote.

But it alienates so many... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:31:24 PM EST
...the fiscal conservatives and the centrists especially. Surely there's someone better with a little cred of any kind in fiscal, libertarian or other matters who the far right religious folks won't hate?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

The far right hates everybody. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:53:44 PM EST
They hate the sinner but love the sin... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:59:13 PM EST
...and that's why they can't stay out of trouble.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I said best case by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 02:10:27 PM EST
maybe McCain was so pissed he couldn't pick Lieberman or Ridge he picked a feisty lass he knew would piss off a lot of centrists.

Even Fiorina? by marvin (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 11:57:37 AM EST
Sure, she didn't manage to entirely destroy HP in six years, although it was not for lack of trying. Why not let her run your entire country for four years? What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:16:09 PM EST
Fiorina would have been a massive mistake, given what a public debacle her HP tenure was.

Rice would have been a very interesting choice, but I suspect she carries too many negatives. I personally believe Hutchinson would have been a much better choice, at least in the sense that it would have done better at peeling off the Hillary voters, but it obviously wouldn't have shored him up on the right.

It is, of course, unknown as to whether some of these people were asked and said "no". (Same could be said of Romney, Guiliani, Huckabee, etc.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

At least she has a better grasp... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:33:08 PM EST
...on things than Mrs. Palin seems to. Sure, Palin can learn, and get up to speed, but how long is that going to take? And can she catch up fast enough?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

A better grasp on what? by marvin (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:13:26 PM EST
How to wreck a corporation?

Government is different than a corporation. They operate under different rules from each other, have different objectives, and there are different skill sets. In government, you're working for the public interest rather than for your shareholders. In government, your goal is to deliver quality services at low price, rather than maximizing profits and shareholder returns. In government, you're writing and enforcing laws, not following them or evading them. In government, everything takes longer because you have to consult more, and deal with the slow movement of bureaucracy. Not so in corporations.

There are not many people I can think of who crossed over from one to the other who were superstars on both sides. David Emerson in Canada was well regarded as both the head of a major forest company and as Canada's foreign minister, but he is only going to last 4 years as an elected representative. He'd never become Prime Minister here, because of the decision he made to switch political parties.

I think that any Governor's position is better preparation than time in the Senate. The executive branch is different than the legislative branch. Sure, Governors are the bush league of the executive branch, Alaska especially, but at least they are playing the same game.

Someone who is outstanding in the corporate world will probably do quite well in government, once they learn the rules. Fiorina was hardly outstanding. While I am not American, and won't be voting in your election, I can say this - it's bloody difficult to maintain a 90% approval rating for two years. Palin has to have done at least a few things right in the past two years.

A better grasp on anything... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:33:21 PM EST
I'm not saying Fiorina would be a good choice. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that she would have been a better choice than Palin.

Sure, Palin has been in the chair and had to make executive decisions. Unfortunately, she has had little to no active role or even interest in anything outside of Alaska. I think that she is a fluff choice, chosen for her looks and her moral values. That's great for satisfying the extreme right of her party, but I don't care what her values are. I care if she can do the job. Her past has shown neither interest nor ability that would make me think she could handle the position. And that's the problem. Whichever side wins, they have to be able to do the job.

I think Obama and/or Biden could do the job despite a lack of executive experience. I think McCain could do the job, I just don't think he could do it well or in a matter fitting with what I think our country should be doing. I think many of his former competitors and vice presidential possibilities could do the job under the conditions I just ascribed to McCain. I have yet to see anything that makes me think Sarah Palin is in any way prepared for the office of Vice President much less President. Even the GOP is having trouble coming up with her qualifications.

I really think McCain screwed the pooch and, barring the possibility that she might say or do something to be incredibly inspirational to the GOP, it's going to cost him dearly.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

None of the four are superstars by marvin (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:54:06 PM EST
There isn't a single person running for prez / veep in your upcoming election who would qualify as a superstar. I'd have to hold my stomach to vote for any of them.

Obama reminds me of Kennedy. He even has Biden as LBJ. Problem is, Kennedy sucked in many ways, but since he was anointed as a saint by your media, it is virtually impossible to find real criticism of him. Several of his decisions were unbelievably bad, though, and the USA paid the price for Camelot over the next 20 years.

Bay of Pigs? Check. Escalation of Vietnam? Check. Coup'd'etat in Vietnam? Check.

Once again, I'm not saying they're good... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 02:04:10 PM EST
Personally, I'm voting for Obama primarily because, as silly as this may sound, it would be nice to believe that the government is on my side instead of against me. I know that it's the wrong reason to vote for anyone, but I know that he can't be worse than what we have. And if he doesn't fuck anything up too badly (and every president fucks up), maybe things will get a little better. And that starts ending the current Republican administration and the Bush legacy ASAP (and for the record, I knew he would suck because he was my governor long enough to find out how badly he would suck as President).

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

You have to admit by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 12:54:17 PM EST
Don't forget Lucent. by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 09:32:43 PM EST
 Under her watch was a nice little scam in which Lucent would finance the sale of their own products to customers who were--how shall I put this--sub-prime credit risks. Those sales were immediately reported to Wall Street and Lucent's stock soared, while the borrowing needed to finance their basket-case customers was ignored. Fiorina convinced HP that they needed to compensate her for her unrealized Lucent stock options if she jumped to HP. It was only after she was safely ensconced at HP that the Lucent scam was exposed and the stock tanked. Lucent almost went out of business and had to layoff half their employees.

She would have been the perfect pick as McCain's VP running mate.

FYI by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 03:44:45 PM EST
L&D rooms are not sterile white.  They're quite nice, actually.  Ours may have been purple (I can't remember), and it had wood laminate floors and nice furniture.  The OR was sterile white.

I highly recommend taking a tour of your chosen hospital.  It will probably turn out to be far more useful than you originally thought it would.

Yeah, but that's Texas. by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 09:01:56 PM EST
 Your delivery room probably had a ten-point buck head mounted on the wall. Other places are a little more strict about maintaining a sterile environment.

L&D is not a sterile environment by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 05:33:39 AM EST
get with the times, yo.

In your experience... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:14:55 AM EST
If we asked to have a LD room that's purple, do you think they would or could oblige? Or is that a silly request?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

maybe by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 09:55:33 AM EST
it all depends on how crowded things are when you go in.  if they have 30 L&D rooms, and you're baby #29 in for the night....beggars, choosers and all that.  also, they may not have purple rooms.

we were allowed to do anything we wanted in our room, as long as it didn't involve open flames or pets.  if we had wanted to put up a bunch of purple stuff, it would have been allowed.

P Diddy did it better by theboz (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:19:53 PM EST
I'm not sure how to embed Youtube links in this new GUI thingy, but watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmueS0ngAs

I thought it was pretty funny, if just for how dumb P Diddy is, as well as imagining what McCain's response would be.

- - - - -