Print Story pressups, books, and wings
Games
By gzt (Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 10:40:04 AM EST) gzt, WINGS NIGHT, rain (all tags)
As mentioned elsewhere, tonight is WINGS NIGHT. Husites everywhere are welcome to join in spirit by eating wings on your own.

Other things you can do with me, but on your own: hundredpushups.com or reading Anathem. NO SPOILERS.

So I've been trucking through the hundred pushups program this week. I was too ill to do my running or what-have-you, but at least I could still do pushups (or pressups, as you Brits would have it). The last set of each day has, typically, been trying, but I'm making it so far.

I left off Anathem at page 100 during lunch. NO SPOILERS. I suppose, all things considered, they're moving very slowly, since we're at page 100 and there's no hint about the plot of the book yet. I'm not complaining, since it's not dense prose. It's light enough to read on the train, while eating a sandwich, or before a nap, so it works out in the end. Reading Gravity's Rainbow fifteen minutes at a time while distracted just doesn't work. This works well enough for the moment.

Frig, it's raining. It looks dark out. It's 1:32. It's not supposed to stop raining. This means: walking to WINGS NIGHT in the rain.

There's cake over there to celebrate the birth of the $CORPORATION Value Chain. Wow. Truly an historic day.

Speaking of Gravity's Rainbow, I should be getting that in the mail any day now.

ASK HUSI: What's the youngest age it would be profitable to introduce Plato? I, quite frankly, think that some of his simpler dialogues could be presented to children as young as 8 with appropriate teaching aids and as young as 10 without any crutches - though with plenty of discussion. Is that pushing it? Then again, I'm the sort of person who teaches kids about induction no matter what age they are if I'm assigned to teach them some math (a first grader can understand induction, so why don't most college freshmen?).

Will I get any work done this week?

< Apparently I've gone back into autistic mode | I voted >
pressups, books, and wings | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
well, it depends by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 11:15:19 AM EST
there's a private school in town here, that I'm sure uses it. They are a bit strange, though. (School came from a bunch of conservative christian homeschooler types.. ). Call themselves a classical education, uses those types of books etc.

I looked at the curriculum... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 11:26:58 AM EST
...and saw no mention of any of Plato's works. However, I can't be too hard on them, since they have sixth graders reading Beowulf. Any curriculum that includes Beowulf at any age is fine by me.

I was just struck with the idea the other day of using some of Plato's easier dialogues as bedtime stories. That would probably only lead to trouble.

Initial test result: by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 01:50:42 PM EST
30 "good form" pushups.

But I cheated; I do a few sets of 20 a few times a week. I have a hard time seeing myself doing many more in one continuous set though.

People who need to push Plato/Culture on kids are by Clipper Ship (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:22:52 PM EST
no different than people who push religion on kids: they do it because their friends are watching.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I don't have friends. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:45:56 PM EST
Riddle me THAT.

I guess that explains this, then.... by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 06:20:29 PM EST

---------------

Destroy All Planets

My daughter was smarter at 12 than 15 by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 04:24:57 PM EST
She's better at retaining facts than she was at 12 but she seems to have lost a fair number of analytical talent. I suspect that this is, in part, a question of will.

Cicero, The Republic
and malls, and music, and hair, and clothes by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 08:54:09 PM EST
and boys. Prep the boomstick, lm.

Pressups by TPD (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 30, 2008 at 12:41:11 AM EST
Fitness October starts tomorrow I'll be aiming for 3000 by the end of the month (again).... and while in each of my other 2 attempts to average 100(+) a day over the course of a month, I ended up falling short...  THIS TIME, I am going to succeed :)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
way cool by gzt (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Sep 30, 2008 at 03:44:16 AM EST
What's Fitness October? And... can you do those 100 all at once?

Fitness October by TPD (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 30, 2008 at 04:42:55 AM EST
is the same as Fitness August and Fitness May, just another month (but with fitness prefixed to try and give me some kind of motivation)

And NO I can't do 100 all at once, I was approaching the 70 odd mark if I tried to push it but normally try  to stick to batches of 50.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM