2 lbs Rolled Wheat
4 lbs Bohemian Pilsen (2 row)
4 Light Malt Extract
2 lbs Honey
1 oz Saaz
1 oz Kent Golding
I'm not sure what to classify this as. I was aiming for the territory of Weissbier/Hefeweizen but I'll have to make that call when it comes out of the bottle in a few weeks. The color turned out a bit darker than I was expecting. On the dark side of amber and that was after I had diluted out the wort with the ice/cold water. It may still lighten up a bit once everything has settled out. The Saaz really came through in the aroma department with a wonderful spicy hit that hung around in the kitchen. Speaking of the Saaz, the ones my store has are strong this year. Almost twice as strong as they have been in the past. AA = 7.5
Overall, it went very smoothly. Much more so than in the past. Before I have had some trouble with keeping a good constant temperature, so I wouldn't get everything I could out of the grain. But this time? I nailed the 120-degree F mark and held it steady for a good forty-five minutes. Slowly took it up to 150, and was able to keep it there for another 15. Then it was just a matter of taking it up to 160 over another 15 minutes. It just worked. A quick taste proved it to be very sweet and a few swirls around with the spoon brought up a nice head. I was quite happy with the way it just worked.
Also made a starter for the yeast and the bucket was burping within a couple of hours. This morning when I was checking on it, the pantry was filled with the sweet, sweet smell of brewing beer.
One other note about the beer. I have had the worst luck when it comes to decanting the beer once I get into the bottles. It has gotten to the point that I warn people I give bottles to about standing back once they open it. And considering the trouble I had with getting the mead to ferment, it occurred to me that I might not be getting enough oxygen into the beer during primary fermentation. So I did something different this time around. I took out an extra twenty minutes and agitated the wort. Hopefully, this will help keep my bottles from getting too stuffy this time around.
September has been my world-building month. So far, I've written up short biographies for the main characters and done quite a bit of note taking for the setting. But I hit a wall last week as I was working on the third edit of a character bio. Even with all of the background and attitude I'd put into the bio, I still didn't know how the guy worked. So I've had to jump into the October plan early.
The October plan was to spend that month writing a little bit each day and get a couple of short stories (around 10k words) to help fill in the world and characters some more. And to get the juices flowing. That sort of worked last year, spending the previous month making myself write a little bit each day. I'm hoping that the combination of world-building and writing a bit each day will make it easier.
Also, I plan on trying to get this NaNo published in one form or another this year, unlike the past. Which mean, I may have to do some heavy editing and rewriting. Not exactly something I've done in the past to any degree.
Efforts to convert A Haunted Night into boardgame form continue. I worked on the third revision while waiting for my beer to do its thing on Sunday.
Right now, I'm trying a sort of bottom-up approach with the game's rules and mechanics. That is I'm working on the basics: Movement, Encounters, and Resolution and getting them working well before moving on to add modifiers to those concepts. Been getting stuck on the Movement portion of the game. I can't seem to decide if it should be random or if needs to the same each turn or if some sort of token should be used. I could be play testing some more. Make that: I should be play testing some more.
|< at first i was afraid | Onward HO! >|