Print Story Too old for New York City.
By blixco (Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 05:48:31 AM EST) (all tags)
Too $something for $something_else.

Too Monday for polite company.

Trouble comes up slowly. Shit creeps up on you, yo.  Too many hours spent pondering the very nature, and all the detail just slips by.  My career is something really ornate and strange, like a fully bedecked Xmas tree in the middle of a dry lake bed, it doesn't fit with anything. I'm not sure why I keep going on with the things I keep going on with.  It's a lot of just, following the map.

And why not? This map has led me to prosperous places, and following has done so much more for me than leading. I work best when I am forced into a situation. That's where my head works, when I can't be held responsible for the things that got me to point D but I need to get to point E and beyond. My problem solving is best tested with trauma.

Watching a thing about New York City, and the thing is though I am a desert-raised mankind-hatin' MNS-tactic-lovin' subterranean malcontent, I would love to live in NYC just once. That big city anonymity, lost in an ocean of faces, life carved out of rivers run over with human stories, too many stories, nothing better or worse just stories raised up and put down by the steel and metal and noise.  Goddamn.  I'd love to scrape by in it, be faced with life and death in it, find some sort of path to some sort of life nested in chaos, balanced on a pin of hope and hard fucking work, and working forever to maintain.

Unlike the more personal versions in faceless suburbs with neighbors addicted to AK-47s and something that, when smoked, smells like burning plastic, making them crazy. Anonymous, sure, but not nearly packed with anything other than what can be purchased and, well, I guess I should get out more.

In my head I'm too old, already even at only the age I am, too old for New York.  I'd be swept aside and probably killed. My romantic fictionalized New York, it would not welcome. It would resist, and my back isn't strong enough.

Maybe there is more regret than there should be. What's the balance? I'm not the type to dwell for long on what I don't have, or what I don't know. I really don't.  But here, sometimes the rhythm finds me wanting.

Maybe I should get out more.

Here come the devil, prowlin' round
One whiskey for every ghost

< So a guy says to my wife on the elevator ... | at first i was afraid >
Too old for New York City. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How old are you? by theboz (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 07:19:20 AM EST
New York has old people too.  Much, much older than you in fact.  Haven't you see "Sex In The City"?  It's a show about some aging cougars trying to get some cock, and whining about life.  I know it's fictionalized, but there really are 50+ year old sluts in NYC.  Not that you would want to or have the ability to be like them.  Your NYC life would be more like Ricky Ricardo or The Honeymooners.  You could even post diaries at the end of every day saying, "Hey HuSi, I'm home!"

- - - - -
If I could do by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 07:28:12 AM EST
a fifties New York thing, I'd do it.

But I'm, like, not the right age to drop everything and go write an off-off-off Broadway play about a guy who gives up life in Hipsterville, Texas to go live the life of rat poison and dripping faucets in closet-sized apartments that cost a million dollars a square inch.

I need to be either much younger or much older.

I can wait.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
So there you go by theboz (4.00 / 3) #3 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 07:52:04 AM EST
I think the moral of the story is that you're too old to be a young dumbass, and too young to be an old dumbass.  Enjoy this time, and don't be a dumbass.

- - - - -
Hipsterville, Texas by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 08:54:33 AM EST
Since when does Tejas have, or tolerate, hipsters?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

never been to austin, eh? by clock (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 09:09:42 AM EST
that's hipster central.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

What clock said. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 09:57:34 AM EST
We're one of the ground zero locations for hipster.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
is there ANYTHING by gzt (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 10:48:12 AM EST
is there ANYTHING worthwhile in texas?

there's nothing i hate more than hipsters.

Good food, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 11:55:37 AM EST
decent honest folks, the native Austinites are awfully nice and cool. Great music, decent lit, a few natural attractions, and a sense of righteousness, cheap land, a whole lot of desert, and some very good places to hang out.

But yeah, we have the worst of it: fake Texans who end up in the white house, real Texas politics being carried into the mainstream, ugly weather, evil hurricanes, and a fake culture driven by hipsters, yuppie land grabbers, and "urban culture." An artifice that will stand as readily as any in this blistering wilderness; I suspect the Alamo is not well-remembered by the ironic T-shirt crowd.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
And floods and drought and wind and heat by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 01:16:51 PM EST
and murder and by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 03:43:25 PM EST
human trafficking and oil barons and wind power and multiple army bases and dead salt flats and

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Bah by Gedvondur (3.25 / 4) #11 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 07:30:40 PM EST
NYC is overrated, noisy, rude and crowded.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
Maybe, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 03:37:13 AM EST
but the fictional NYC in my head is not.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
All true by CaptainZornchugger (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 03:40:13 AM EST
I'd cut out my left nut before I'd live anywhere else, though.

"A Genius?! For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius??" -- Pablo de Sarasate
You'll have to forgive me by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 04:00:27 AM EST
Us Midwesterners don't ken well you city-folk.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
Too $something for $something_else. by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 04:26:58 AM EST
Too old for Florida.  Too liberal for Texas.  Too happy for Seattle.  Too American for Europe.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
I hear you by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 10:36:31 AM EST
I got to live in NYC vicariously through my sister.  Maybe when I was in my 20s I could have done it but now....I just don't have the patience or drive for it.

NYC chews people up and spits them out.  You have to get in early if you're going to survive, because that is a place where you have to work to survive.

Too old for New York City. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback