Print Story My Ocean City Trip.
Travel
By dev trash (Tue Sep 02, 2008 at 05:58:19 PM EST) (all tags)
My beach mini-vacation diary.

A few weeks ago, Philly friend asked if I wanted to go to Ocean City Maryland with him and his parents over Labor Day weekend.  Since every time he asks me something like this I beg off, I felt bad and said that yes, I would go.  I requested the Tuesday after Labor Day off, because I figured traffic would be lighter and all that jazz.

As the week approached I asked for directions but couldn't get anything concrete.  Seems they've been going there for so long they had no idea what the physical address of the condo was.  I did a search on Google for it and got an address of 11000 Ocean Parkway.  Except that there is no 110 Street in Ocean City, but hey that seemed like a minor issue.  The day before I left, Philly friend's Dad called and told me how they drove there.  I had my yh provided directions link and I was pretty confident in those.  When it came down to it, either way would be fine.

At first they were going to leave at 5AM Saturday, and i was going to leave a little later, so they could settle in before I got there.  They left late, at 9AM, and I left at 10.  My plan was to drive to the Allentown Service plaza on the NE Ext of the PA turnpike, pick up an EZ Pass, so I could navigate thru the express lanes in Delaware.  This plan was foiled because the vending machine as out of order.  No problem, I had cash with me.  The driving was okay until I got to Wilmington DE.  I was following US 13 south as I had planned, and then suddenly I came to a T intersection for DE 9.  Where, did 13 go?  I turned right, and knew i was in for a heap of trouble as I was now heading north.  i drove down 9 for more blocks than I should have before getting turned around, and coming out on what I thought was 9 south again.  It was not.  then i saw a sign for Rosa Parks BLVD.  hmmmmm, lost in Wilmington.  I did get onto another DE state road, heading west, and then suddenly there was a sign for US 13 south.  And just like that I was back on the way.

I got to the section o the drive that had confused me the most.  DE 1 is a toll road but is not like toll roads in PA, ie toll gantries at every exit.  The directions I had, mentioned taking the bypass around Dover to avoid the traffic, and that the toll was a dollar.  Silly me stayed on DE 1 from Smyrna til it joined up with 113.  That cost me 4 dollars in tolls, which was not so bad.  From 113, I was pretty confident on where to go, and soon I was turning on to Route 90 in MD.  And then i was on Rt 528, which is the main drag.  This was a little better, as I was heading north and that put the condo on the right no need to U-turn.  This had worried me a bit because in PA, U-turns like that are illegal, yet as I soon learned this is how they do it in MD.  Or at least in OC.

I missed the condo on my first pass.  I was driving along and I was at 115th street and knew i was too far north.  I had the GPS with me with the coordinates and it was pointing south.  Oops.  So I turned around at the next shopping area, then went pass the condo and instead of doing the U-turn turned into a parking lot for a motel and went back up the highway, this time getting to the condo correctly.

As you can imagine, parking is at a premium, and I was not allowed to park in the condo's lot, unless I paid $55 per day.  So the plan was to park across the street at the Gold Coast mall, where according to my hosts was where they had friends and family park for the past 7 years.  So that is what I did after we took my luggage upstairs.  Even doing this was risky according to my friend as they were very militant about towing.  Which seemed odd as about a 1/3rd of the spaces were empty.

Saturday night, I looked at the ocean from the deck.  I was tired and wanted to sleep.  Sunday morning I got up early and watched the sunrise over the ocean.  It was foggy, which was ideal, at least for me.  People were walking dogs, fishing and starting to get their spot on the beach.  Mid morning we went to the deck and sat in the sun.  I read Woodpecker in Stilllife by Robbins.  My friend had started to read it but couldn't get into it.  I boggle at this.  I got sunburnt, because I had left my sunscreen in the car.  But I was only burned on my right calf, from the edge of my shorts to the edge of my socks.  i was wearing m,y sneakers because I had forgotten my sandles at my apartment.

Later we went to my car to get my toiletries.  Before this, though we went to the Gold Coast Mall and I bought a pair of flip flops.  The gal at the checkout, with a Lithuanian accent (I think) tried to charge me $2 more than what they were listed.

Rested a bit, then took the big step of going on to the actual beach.  Then ventured to the  water's edge and then into the ocean!  I can't swim, so I didn't go in too far.  One second I'm in at my ankles, the next, up to my calves.  So very strong the undertow, and the sand under foot, it just kind disappears.  Even when the waves are receeding they looked as if they were still coming in.  And then I lost my left flip flop.  Silly newbie had not taken them off before walking in.  I did get the right one off before it too was lost.  And then a guy taps me on the shoulder and hands me the flip flop.  i spent ten minutes in the water, and then back to the deck for me.

We spent the rest of the weekend on the deck, I finished the book.  Robbins has a formula it seems, love conquers all.  I had wanted to go to the boardwalk, but things out of my control put that out of reach.

Monday we were up at 3:30AM, breakfast at Denny's and I was on the road heading north by 5.  This was way too early for the obvious reason, and because at that time frame, one hits the south of Wilmington and south of Philly commuter traffic, on I95.  Once i got north of that, and then onto I476 I was much more relaxed until I noticed my gas gauge was near the redline.

I made it to Lansdale, Kulpsville actually and got gas.  gas here is 3.55-3.65.  gas in OC was 3.39.  Stopped at the Allentown plaza to pee.  Got home in 4:07 minutes, trip down took 4:15.  Went to sleep til 2PM.

Uploaded videos and photos.  Some of the vids were uploaded yesterday.  Wireless was $13 for 3 days.  It sucked.  i couldn't connect to it at all with Windows XP.  And in Linux even when I selected the correct SSID, it was wonky.  On Sunday i think I connected to the condo's free wifi.  oh well.

Anyway, videos are at http://www.youtube.com/user/devtrash and the photos are at

They may be a little wide, I ran llgal without any command line, and I am too tired to re-do that again.  I have a few more photos to resize and upload, but there ya go.
< Behold Lochaber! | Attn: Missing diary infidels >
My Ocean City Trip. | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Mmmhrmmm. Yes. I see. Yes. Uh-huh. Right. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Sep 02, 2008 at 07:26:06 PM EST
Yeah, mom, I'm listening.
ok by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:11:04 PM EST
can I have a little context, sir!

Click
You took six paragraphs by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 02:31:46 PM EST

describing every single turn you made on your drive to your weekend, then four short ones saying what you did, before returning your attention to the drive home. Reading it reminded me of listening to my Mom's stories, thus, I made a funny in that regard.

not every turn by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:14:28 PM EST
I now know where ING Direct and Chase Financial are located.

Click
Is that the corner by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:25:41 PM EST

where hyperbole lives? Tell it I said "Hi!"

here. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:40:06 PM EST
This was the most exciting part of the drive:

Click
Don't get me wrong, driving behind chicken by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 06:22:41 PM EST

trucks is awesome, and all, but I think that's "Perdue" Processing Plant, the name of the Chicken tycoon, rather than "Purdue", the Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania native who founded the land grant college of the same name.

Huntingdon by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 01:27:22 PM EST
represent!

Click
ooh you passed by biden's man of the people hood by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 02, 2008 at 08:00:33 PM EST
oh wait, no you didn't. You got lost shithole that is wilmington proper. I do know exactly where you got lost though.

However, I don't know why you got off 95 so early. You should have just stayed on until exit 4a and taken 7 south/route 1 to Christiana which would have dumped you to the turnpike proper.
heh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:19:19 PM EST
I actually got onto 495, then onto 13.  Coming back I realized what I had done, which of course was too late.  I had your link, and the guy's Dad's instructions and while I was following the first I saw a sign and I got off of 95 too early.  Bonus, I know exactly how to get to the Mall now.

Click
I was going to by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:15:29 PM EST
Ask someone at a stoplight if they supported ol' Joe, but no that walked by looked like they voted anyway,

Click
You were only there for a day? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:29:21 AM EST
Too bad.  OTOH, Sunday was the best beach day last weekend.  Looking for good high surf this weekend. Along with several inches of rain.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh, and by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:30:04 AM EST
nice sunrise pics.  Somehow I can never get up early enough to get those.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

we know you aren't hung over by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:40:55 AM EST
so what's the excuse ?

Excuse for what? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 09:31:44 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

getting outta bed by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 10:36:04 AM EST
to see the sunrise, as you spent most of August (and dang near every summer weekend) there..

Up late by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:10:57 AM EST
Stay up until midnight, get up at 5:30, doesn't work.  Best I can do is get up at 7:00.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I wish by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:14:24 PM EST
I had gotten up 10 minutes earlier, I thought I had missed it, and then suddenly their it was.

Click
No by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:12:16 PM EST
Saturday Sunday Mionday and left on Tuesday.

Click
I see no bikini babe pics by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:26:13 AM EST
what sort of travelogue is this?

yet oddly enough by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:42:52 AM EST
he got the good humor truck...

None public by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:13:42 PM EST
NT

Click
Did you see the Good Humor pics? by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:42:06 AM EST
One of them had two bikini babes in it.

My Ocean City Trip. | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback