Print Story Like a donkey between two haystacks
By ucblockhead (Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 08:19:18 AM EST) (all tags)
Bleah.

Except I'm stuck between tedious task (a) and tedious task (b).

So I keep ending up at kongregate. Fortunately, I am currently the highest ranking person in the office.

It doesn't help that all the real work coming down the pike is described like:

1) Take our existing stuff.
2) [do something undetermined]
3) Demo!

Maybe I'll reorganize my email.

I really just want to go back to reading Anathem. I remember when I could read a book cover-to-cover in one sitting. What happened to those days? Oh yeah.

Anyway, I am quite enjoying the book. It's very different from the Baroque Cycle, or even Cryptonomicon. It reminds me a bit of Le Guin of all people, with its anthropological world building. I guess I should finish it before saying more.

The good: something we worked on was released today. The bad: an intermittent bug in something else that we thought we fixed was not. Damn you, random stack trace that didn't help! Damn you to HELL!

September sucks. The trains are always full and the parking lot is full. At least the number of idiot teenagers and lost tourists clogging up Powell street station has dropped.

I made the mistake of looking at the ol' 401k. I'm beginning to wonder if this "save for retirement" thing is a mug's game, and I really should just be spending all the money now while it is still worth something.

Oh well, back to reimplementing dynamic_cast without RTTI. Whee!

< What to do, what to do | The colour of money >
Like a donkey between two haystacks | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
anathem by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 08:21:04 AM EST
i'm refraining from posting about it because i can't figure out how to do so without spoilers. heck, even describing it accurately would be a spoiler.

kongregate by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 08:34:05 AM EST
I'm on there as millguy.

I've made it all the way to page 55 of Anathem. I don't have a kid, but I don't read much outside of the train anymore.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Ha by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 08:59:56 AM EST
Sometimes I realize that I don't miss C++ as much as I think I do.

these by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 12:10:16 PM EST
last 8 years of working and saving for retirement have not gotten me much, if any appreciable interest. I do have most of the principal I believe, but I'm too scared to actually check.

Saving for retirement by debacle (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 19, 2008 at 11:05:35 AM EST
Via a 401k that isn't managed sensibly is less intelligent than saving for a retirement under your mattress.

I am ok then by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 19, 2008 at 11:07:23 AM EST
Because the 401k people say that it is managed sensibly.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman