Print Story Cars, Trains and Automobiles
By cam (Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:18:33 AM EST) (all tags)
 When a prius is really just a prius. And not a Toyota/Lexus/Volt.

Print money. Dammit. Paulson Doctrine? Investors show their confidence in bonds. Hooray. But dont worry. Obama had a dinner date with Barbara Strieasand and Palin continues to lie about a bridge.

Rotating electricity plugs (note to self buy some)

Sleek bathrooms.

Also, banks can use depositors accounts to fund subsidiary liabilities. More risk taking. Not a good thing.
< oops, I guess I should've cleaned up a little. | 35 Weeks >
Cars, Trains and Automobiles | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
the prius effect by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:28:58 AM EST
The Prius outsells virtually hybrid version of other models. There has been more than a little bit of speculation that at least part of the reason is that the Prius is instantly recognizable as a hybrid while the hybrid versions of the Camry and the Civic are not. If Toyota expands Prius into a brand, it will capitalize on this effect. As soon as the nameplate is seen, folks will know it is a hybrid.

Cicero, The Republic
That's easy, no speculation necessary. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:42:17 AM EST
The reason Prius is instantly recognizable as a hybrid car is that Prius does not exist in a non-hybrid form. Camry and Civic can be either (from what you say) so how do you know which is and which isn't without looking closer for some other less significant badging?

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
But in Europe, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 01:24:43 PM EST
The Civic hybrid is also distinct, as the regular model European Civics are some of the most distinctively designed cars on the market, whereas the Civic hybrid is the US/RoW model, and still the Prius outsells it massively. It's just the technology, the space age looks and the reputation, I guess.

My point, though by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 02:01:58 PM EST
is that one looks exactly like the other. If, from across the street, you could see a Civic and a Civic hybrid parked next to each other, could you tell them apart? I mean without looking at the badges?

So if someone wants to be seen driving a hybrid, would they buy a Prius (which can only be a hybrid) or a Civic that wouldn't turn a head? Say what you like, for most people, car buying is mostly about image. Otherwise everyone would be driving the exact same car. I mean, most US automakers make exactly the same car with at least three different badges (Ford/Lincoln/M ercury or Chevy/Pontiac/Buick), one for each image. If people didn't buy primarily for image, there'd be no point for different badges.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Well yeah, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 02:12:13 PM EST
There's no similarity in shape at all between a Civic Hybrid and a Civic in Europe, and you still hardly see any Civic Hybrids. So the Prius does have some intrinsic style to it as well, albeit idiosyncratic.

Not the whole story by ucblockhead (4.00 / 6) #3 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:50:11 AM EST
I can tell you why I bought a Prius and why I did not consider most other hybrid models, and it has nothing to do with the name. When I looked at the actual numbers, I was shocked that of all the hybrid models, most did not get significantly better mileage than their non-hybrid counterparts. The only two that did were the Honda Civic and the Prius. In all other models, they seemed to use the hybrid engine to boost the power rather than the efficiency. So, for example, the hybrid Accord got only slightly better mileage than the non-hybrid model, but had significantly more power.

The Civic and the Accord both claim over 50 mpg. None of the other models claim much over 30 except for the Camry, which claims 39 mpg. Given that our Prius is about the same size and comparable power to our '96 Camry, this is a bit silly.

We test drove both the Civic and the Prius, and honestly the Prius beats the Civic in almost every measure and just drove better. I say this as a long time Honda fan. (The Prius replaced a 19 year old Accord.) Before we started looking, I was all set to replace my old Accord with the new Accord Hybrid, but was shocked to discover that the claimed mileage for the Accord Hybrid was no better than the old one I was already driving! This, for something that wasn't particularly larger than the Prius.

Sometimes I think marketers (and the press) overestimate brand and underestimate actual objective differences.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yar by duxup (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 09:41:11 AM EST
From what I've been able to tell the Prius is the only such vehicle that at this point really offer significant mpg improvement.   When I see some sort of cool hybrid or related name I expect to see some impressive numbers.

____
Well by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Sep 22, 2008 at 09:47:30 AM EST
The Civic does, but it really is the only other one.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I can't see Toyota doing this by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 04:24:30 PM EST
The Prius brings people into Toyota dealerships, what would they want to do with a Prius brand?  Sell more Priuses?  That can be done the moment a Prius leaves the assembly line, if not before.  I think I've heard that Toyota wants to make all cars hybrids (or at least include that option).  If so, why seperate the Prius?

Analysts are so in love with branding that they can't see when it's pointless.

Wumpus

Ugh by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:52:27 AM EST
Those bathrooms are all ghastly.

They remind me of the sinks you sometimes see in trendy restaurant bathrooms in San Francisco that are 3' wide squares that are only an inch deep, making it impossible to turn on the water without splashing yourself.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Nothing says 'I disapprove of your bathroom' by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 5) #5 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:24:46 AM EST

quite like peeing in the sink.

Yes, but by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:46:56 AM EST
I'm not peeing in an inch-high sink with splashback issues.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
well, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:22:11 PM EST
peeing on the towels and toilet paper seems like a better plan to me.

just the assistant guy in there by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:25:09 PM EST
who gives you a towel. Make sure you tip him though on the way out.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Especially if he holds the towel still by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 01:00:40 PM EST

while you pee on it. Good help is hard to find.

ghetto 7 by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:22:37 PM EST
Shitting in the sink? [n/t] by Evil Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 01:00:25 PM EST

Touché. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (3.80 / 5) #13 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 01:01:36 PM EST

Unless the badezimmer in question is owned by Germans, in which case this sends a mixed message.

we have those at work by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 03:17:39 PM EST
i don't get splashed nearly as often as i get my shirt in it.

---------
The economy is fundamentally sound by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:52:30 PM EST
you whiner.

Here by cam (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 02:19:51 PM EST
have some yahoo email accounts.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
I really dread by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 02:33:41 PM EST
from: vp.palin@yahoo.com
to: CENTCOM

Mum's the word, attack at 5 am.

I think this is more likely: by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #20 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 04:55:28 PM EST
from: vp.palin@yahoo.com
to: CENTCOM

I've been hearing all this talk about the Monroe Doctrine lately and it is tiresome having to dance around it in press conferences.  Can you please have this Monroe guy call me?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

in her very first THM by garlic (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 03:58:05 AM EST
Q: How would you lay to rest the criticism that you're inexperienced in foreign policy
A: Senator McCain and I are ready and will be ready on 1/20 to lead this country. On foreign policy I'm ready -- you can play stump the candidate if you want.

noone plays stump the candidate.

Cars, Trains and Automobiles | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback