Print Story oops, I guess I should've cleaned up a little.
Hardware
By gzt (Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 07:33:52 AM EST) gzt, mp3 player, scruffy (all tags)
So this morning, on my way to work, I ran into this buddy of mine on the train, he said, "Well, you're looking a bit scruffy there." I was wearing tennis shoes, a jean jacket, a polo shirt, and hadn't shaved in over a week. I said, "Oh, well, I'm not in the main office, all my meetings are by phone, it doesn't matter that much at the moment."

Then Iremembered I had a meeting later in the day in the main office with some folks I should look a little decent for. Oops. Whatever. They're client reporting folks. I'll see them in the afternoon.

So I got into the office and rode the elevator up with the CEO. I was like, "Yo." Then when I got to my desk, the $CHIEF_SOMETHING_OR_OTHER_OFFICER walked by and said, "Whoa, I guess I haven't seen you in a while, you've got quite a beard there," and I was like, yup.

I don't know why I'm wearing a polo shirt, it's actually cold outside.

I think I just bought Neal Stephenson's latest book. I don't know why. Maybe it was a case of hometown representation. I found Cryptonomicon mildly amusing, but not great. I should've bought some DFW instead. I won't have time to read it, I have 7 weeks until my next exam as of yesterday. Still, I will probably have some strong opinions about the philosophy involved, so there you go.

Something mucked up on my mp3 player this morning. It couldn't find anything in its library to play. Hopefully syncing it up will fix it. Or jiggling with things. I was looking forward to listening to the news at lunch today. Or at least some music while I walked around later. Oh well. We were not meant to be.

For some reason this expression does not want to work. The function is supposed to return currencies and it's not and that's mucking things up. I can't get it to behave properly so I'm trying to work around it. Oh well.

< Where did that ambition go? | Cars, Trains and Automobiles >
oops, I guess I should've cleaned up a little. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Stephenson book by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 07:36:13 AM EST
I'm on page 300. So far, it has been pleasantly free of many of the excesses of his other works.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
From the description... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:09:43 AM EST
...it seems excessive by nature, though I'm glad to hear it's not excessive in those ways.

The good news by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:03:05 AM EST
So far, at least, it is from the viewpoint of one character, named neither Waterhouse nor Shaftoe, has no flashbacks and only minor asides and has absolutely no cutsie references to actual historical figures.

It's a very talky novel and seems to primarily concern philosophy, but uses entirely different terms for pretty much everything.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Dude, upper management has taken notice by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:28:35 AM EST

of Beardage... Now may be the perfect striking time for implementing a company-wide mandatory beard policy!

Be careful by Herring (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 01:05:45 PM EST
You could get mistaken for an extremist.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
TOP TIP by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:31:21 AM EST
Tell them you're bearding for charity.

Then ask them for a donation.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
"What charity?" by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:38:27 AM EST
"Uh... Beards Over Babies (?). Yes, Beards Over Babies." http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000853.html

I would get fired soooo fast, but it would be worth it.

The list is endless by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:59:17 AM EST
Cryptonomicon mildly amusing, but not great. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 09:26:53 AM EST
Sadly, it was almost great, and in the same way as his other works. It stops rather than ending. Just like Snow Crash.

I haven't picked up System of a World yet, as it probably has the same problem.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

System of the World by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:05:28 AM EST
...is twice as obscure, three times as long, and has all of the faults of Cryptonomicon in triplicate.

I read the whole damn thing and while I enjoyed parts of it a lot, the thing as a whole was very tedious.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Reading Cryptonomicon currently... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:37:38 AM EST
and I find it very tedious. Just this morning read another 10 pages or so, of which 2 full pages or so was devoted to eating Capt'n Crunch. Sadly, this is something like me 4th start into the book, and 20-30 mins straight reading is all I can take of this book before I need to put it down again. Reminds me very much of Jean M. Auel in the sheer tenacity of capturing detail down to the minutia. Yes, I understand you have thought out/researched your world very well, now can you please make the story move along?

I remember reading Snow Crash but don't remember what I thought of it; so I must not have found it either horrid or brilliant.

if you didn't enjoy that... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:49:21 AM EST
The Captain Crunch scene is one of the highlights of the book. If you don't enjoy it, it's probably not worthwhile to continue.

Ugh... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 12:16:09 PM EST
I actually tend to like cereal and milk the way that is described, but golly gee wilikers, I'm depressed that I've got so many more pages of pain ahead of me. Although I really don't like the thing, it would be even more of a shame to not finish it.

That's how you lose yr house at poker by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 12:21:04 PM EST
Throwing good money/time after bad. Trust me on this one.

Did you bust out your 30-second elevator speech? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:03:46 PM EST
I'm guessing no.