Print Story Where did that ambition go?
By nightflameblue (Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 05:21:31 AM EST) (all tags)
I know I left it around here somewhere!

I came in all charged up and ready to rock this morning. Mrs. NFB's computer was having fits so I spent the last two days doing a rebuild on it. Last night I finished the software load and got it all ready and somehow that got me fired up about getting work done when I got up in the morning.

I had one project that HAD to be done this morning. It's nothing major, just some crap to do. But, I get to work, get tackled by the biggest talker in the place right off, have to fix what he's bitching about while he's standing behind me buzzing in my ear like a pesky gnat, get the same story from him four times in the span of fifteen minutes, get tackled by the boss on the SAME subject right after finishing dealing with the babbler, then find out we have some outside salesman coming in, stealing a coworker's office, and we need to give him access to our network and data, for no reason I understand in any way, shape, or form.

Result? I seem to have lost my ambition. Completely.

I really wish the boss hadn't shown me that little laptop yesterday. Now my mind is wavering on whether I want an iPod Touch, or one of those little things they call a netbook. If only Apple made something like the Touch with a nine inch screen and a keyboard. Mmmm. But, knowing Apple, they probably believe the Air is the netbook answer for their company. Because inexpensive is just plain stupid!

The new Dell creature is available with a custom Ubuntu load, and if I didn't like that, it'd be a quick switch to one of the distros I actually use. Hmm. I have about a month to figure it out before my planned "technology upgrade" for the year, so we'll just have to see.

Maybe I'll just blow it on guitar shit or more chrome for the bike?

I shared the lane at a stop light with a guy on a full-dress Harley this morning in deep metallic blue. Seriously nice looking bike. I said as much. He said thanks and that he dug the stripped down look of mine too.

When was the last time you shared pleasantries at a stoplight with someone in the next car over?

One of the Harley riders at work parked his big-ass pickup next to me to go to the fitness center while I was gearing up in the parking lot last night. He said, "boy, it sure is a lot nicer this afternoon than it was this morning."

"Yeah, well, you put up with a little chill in the morning so that you get to roll home in this gorgeous afternoon weather. Right?"

"Not me man. I'm too old to be riding cold."

STATEMENT!

I suppose I should get this stupid project done. Laterz.

< To The Emperor! | oops, I guess I should've cleaned up a little. >
Where did that ambition go? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pleasantries by marvin (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 07:12:59 AM EST
Why, every time I drive. Some of them even use their middle finger to emphasize their, uh, pleasantries.

Most drivers around here must be of Italian descent, the way they keep on talking with their hands like that. I'm not sure how many of their gestures could be found in the American Sign Language dictionary.

Have you by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 07:19:12 AM EST
Checked behind the sofa?

THERE'S A SOFA HERE?! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 07:44:58 AM EST
I someone would have told me that, I'd have been using it!

It's either that by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 05:07:11 AM EST
Or hiding under your desk, rocking on your heels with your knees clasped to your chest, making an unintelligible high keening sound.

That's what I do now. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 05:08:57 AM EST
Nope, no ambition there either.

Be no 1! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 05:57:43 AM EST
Can you manage to get your knees to your ears?

Probably not. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 06:03:52 AM EST
Better keep practicing.

There you go! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 06:17:54 AM EST
We've found your ambition at last!  "I, nightflameblue, will seek to become the number one knees to chest keening madly under my desk expert".

DAMN IT! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 06:40:14 AM EST
This must not be my ambition! I seem to have found Zippy's instead!

Oooh by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 06:45:16 AM EST
Tough to break into an existing market and dominate it.

Are you sure you want chrome? by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:26:35 AM EST

A nice flat Coyote Brown coat would make that bike stand out less to a scoped rifle... Just sayin'...

Bigger hazards by marvin (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 08:32:57 AM EST
Land mines and IEDs don't care if you're wearing Coyote Brown.

When your number comes up, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:22:14 AM EST

your number comes up. I would suggest he wear wool, as opposed to synthetics, as they melt less.

Wool offers no protection in a fall and slide. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:33:44 AM EST
So I'm pretty well screwed either way.

Outer layer leather, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:37:56 AM EST

Inner layer natural fibers like cotton or wool.

On a cool day, sure. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:57:23 AM EST
On a hot one? Huh, uh. Unless a t-shirt will do as an inner layer. Then we're all good.

Just make sure its a cotton t-shirt by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:59:55 PM EST

or wool. Mmmm, wool t-shirts...

Have you seen the '09 Harley's yet? by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:35:38 AM EST
They've got an option where you can replace all the stock chrome with a grey-brown powdercoat that's a matte/flat hard color. Not quite coyote brown, but I'd think it'd look damn sweet with a bike that had all the shiny bits repainted in camo.

Is it the Night Rod? by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:58:29 PM EST

I just searched the HD site, and that was the closest one I found to your description... It was pretty sweet, I must say.

Stock on the Night Rod by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 02:42:38 AM EST
Optional on any of the non-full-dress models. I looked at one at the dealership and MAN does it look hot in person.

Stoplight conversations by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 09:11:42 AM EST
That first month, month and a half, after I got the xB, every other stoplight was a conversation. People were curious about the cost, how did it drive, did I like it, what was the stereo was like and so on. The part the unnerved me the most were the parking lot conversations. Same thing would happen there. And living downtown at the time, yeah, geeze. Not so great on the heart having the flight or fight response happening every time I got out of the car.

It took some getting used to. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 10:51:09 AM EST
Every time I fill up with gas, every time I park, getting ready to ride in a public place, stop signs, stop lights, you name it, it's a conversation. I'm starting to get used to it, but after years of driving a car that gets no notice at all, it was tough those first couple weeks. Now I've finally gotten used to watching the lights while talking with people.

Where did that ambition go? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback