Print Story Mmmm. Electronicy!
By nightflameblue (Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 11:18:10 AM EST) (all tags)
The boss brings by one of those little itty-bitty computery things. Not quite eeePC, but similar. Very tasty. It got my geek mojo all mojoed out. That doesn't happen often these days.

Geek gear. Familiarity breeds something, something. THE TOOL LOST THE TOOL! We do this that we might heal.

So I go looking online for pricing info. Not to buy, just, you know, perusing and stuff. The prices on these little tablets aren't bad at all. Even the ones with touch screens and all the fancy schtick built in.

Having lugged around a 15" screen laptop for the last couple generations of PC I've had as a travel machine, the appeal is strong. Especially strong when considering issues of fitting a PC in a saddlebag. If you catch my drift.

And you probably shouldn't, cause that shit's dangerous, yo!

BREAK

Yesterday, back on familiar streets, I realized that my riding style on the bike has changed completely over the course of the weekend. I knew I'd made some changes, but it wasn't until contemplating a familiar landscape at a vastly different angle on a corner that I realized how big those changes were. I'm leaning harder, turning faster, quicker off of stops, braking smoother. Amazing what 800 plus miles in three days can do for your riding technique.

I wish I could have more weekends like that. Some consideration is being given to taking a couple work days off before the good weather completely runs out this year and just going riding nowhere. Just to rack up the miles. It's true what they all said, you truly do become a better rider only by riding more. In fact, our teacher in the course was of the opinion that if you didn't get in around five thousand miles a year, you probably aren't a very safe rider. I don't know about that, but I do know things changed a whole hell of a lot between last week and this week for me, and that was in less than a thousand miles.

I went out riding just for a break around lunch time and took the one turn-turn-turn-turn road between Harrisburg and Canton. The corners say either 35 MPH or 40 MPH at the entrance to them. I'd start at the posted speed, and end around 50 or 55 coming out the other side. Not quite leaning hard enough to scrape boards, but getting really close. All pretty comfortable in an area where you see the entire curve from the moment you first enter it. There's a real joy in watching the horizon go slanted, slanting ever further the deeper into the corner you get, then straightening smoothly as you exit the curve and re-enter the straight.

It made me feel like the afternoon of work ahead of me was almost bearable.

BREAK

Zippy lost the punchdown tool.

Well, he didn't, but let's go with this for a minute.

So, Zippy's in a panic yesterday. BB is off-site fixing one of the store's setups. Zippy emails BB accusing him of losing the punchdown tool. Then he accuses me of losing it. Then he accuses Destro of losing it. Then he goes looking for it again. He can't find it. He tells Destro he has to order a new one and have it overnighted to him. At $90.

I jump up at this point and say, "if you really can't find it, you can pick them up in town for like $25."

"Where? Radioshack doesn't have them!"

"The electronic supply on the end of Minnesota, by Russel. That's where we bought the original one."

He calls them, they're out of stock. He reiterates the need to order them.

BB texts in, "Home Despot has them too."

Zippy mumbles something about not wasting time shopping, then tells Destro to just go ahead and order the $90 option. Then he sits down and proceeds to web surf the rest of the day, leaving the job he needed the punchdown tool for for the next day. Because, you know, the three days they've been waiting for him to do it already really didn't bother them in the least.

So, BB comes back today and finds the old tool within three minutes of walking in the building, right where Zippy left it, under a box of wires in the server room. Zippy lost his mind and freaked out about people hiding things from him and blah, blah, blah.

Then he sat down and proceeded to surf the rest of the morning away before finally getting around to doing the job that had now waited four days.

Go Zippy Powah! Go!

BREAK

So, turns out MSSS and Mr. MSSS got pregnant again on purpose. This past week was the due date for the baby that they lost. They decided, according to Mrs. Dad, that they best way to heal was to jump right into having another baby, hot on the heals of the due date for the previous one. So, four months after the loss, she's pregnant again.

Something strikes me as physically wrong on that. Medically, wrong. Like, shouldn't she wait for her body to fully recover at least? And that takes more than the little time she gave it. Especially after a FAILED pregnancy, not a normal, healthy one.

I'm not judging that decision in particular, because it's their lives. Just, their lives are so messy that this can't add much positivity to them. And has great potential to add even further negativity. And why are they announcing it all over like it's the second coming? Wouldn't the first loss have tempered the enthusiasm a tiny little bit?

The mystery grows.

And then Dad says that he's trying to make inroads on a job for Mr. MSSS in town. I think he's giving up on them not living with him and Mrs. Dad. I believe he's finally realized that's going to be the end result at some point, so he may as well help move things along.

Curioser and curioser. Mrs. NFB says, "so, do you think he's paying for the sins of a past life, or is he making up for all the fun he had as a kid?"

No idea, but he's definitely more than paying the price. Dad's being shit on left and right lately, and while in some ways I feel he did have it coming, I'm really starting to feel bad for him. Can't do much more than offer condolences and beers, but damn he's going through some shit.

Outz.

< Black Swans | Finally! >
Mmmm. Electronicy! | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Lust by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 11:53:20 AM EST
I'd like a small portable PC, or a reliable bike. At least I have a punch down tool, and a cat5 crimper.

Look at the bright side. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 12:11:48 PM EST
I wish I had a better understanding of the internals on my bike for those just-in-case moments I'd need that knowledge, so you're gonna be one-up on me if I ever do have a breakdown. Though I did order the service manual that's supposed to have full engine breakdowns, so I'm not going to allow myself to remain completely uneducated.

Mine is so old you could fix it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 12:36:31 PM EST
it can't be that different than a lawn mower or tractor, I have two carbs, wasted spark ignition and a few rectifiers, nothing hard.

Well, by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 12:52:23 PM EST
it's been a long, LONG time since I've broken down an engine. In fact, the last engine breakdown I was involved in was a sixteen cylinder diesel engine. So, I may be confused by any smaller engine.

Hmm. Come to think of it, my bike has a computer in charge of most stuff. You can even buy a USB interface for it. Maybe it'd be easier to work on than I think?

Some part of me thinks it's wrong that my bike can be tweaked via USB. Part of me think hitting the "track" option and increasing power by fifty percent mid-ride would be RAWK SOLID AWESOME. I'm an enigma, even to myself.

jump right into having another baby by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 01:09:42 PM EST
I know a couple that tried that. The second miscarriage, less than a year after the first, was astoundingly traumatic. Almost destroyed the marriage. After that they waited a couple years and went through a battery of tests to make sure, really sure, that nothing was genetically or physically wrong. Then they tried again. She's due in a couple months.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Waiting makes sense. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 02:35:20 AM EST
I mean, I know there's reason to believe "fixing" the problem with another attempt could turn out well, but the sooner you jump on it the less likely it is that things will go well. I just think they've set themselves up for some problems with this move. I hope I'm wrong.

Recover? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:50:26 AM EST
Dude, I don't know what you've been told, but pregnancy is not an illness.

You grow a new endometrium and keep fucking trying, like God wills.

No, it's not. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 11:58:36 AM EST
But the female body does require recovery time from it all the same. Especially in the case of a failed pregnancy. It really fucks up the processes.

What "processes"? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:12:20 PM EST
Hormonal secretion?

See, I could get into it. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:17:02 PM EST
But someone would likely be offended as my basis for reference is what happens to a cow's body during failed pregnancies. And while a cow and a human are an awful lot alike, people don't like having that pointed out.

Let's just say that watching 125 + pregnancy cycles a year taught me that instant pregnancy after a failed pregnancy is not a good idea for medical and physical reasons and leave it at that. I'm not going to consider it my job to educate you on why that's so.

Well, we're both mammals. Well put. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 17, 2008 at 12:22:39 PM EST
That and your sublime Appeal to Authority have convinced me.
Will you be voting for the Palin Education ticket this fall?

Mmmm. Electronicy! | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback