Print Story The Calm
Zombies
By riceowlguy (Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:00:21 AM EST) (all tags)
before the storm.

Sorry I couldn't think of a more original title.  Especially after listening to the Wait Wait panelists berate some 400+ newspapers for using the same headline ("Hello, Dolly!") when Hurricane Dolly hit Mexico earlier this year...

Anyway, Ike is on the way, and I'm staying put here in Houston, like most people who aren't in mandatory evacuation zones.  Rita taught Houston an important lesson, which is that while it's very important for those in evacuation zones to get the hell out of town when asked to, it's just as important for those NOT in evacuation zones to stay put, in order to keep the roads clear for those who need to leave.

That being said, if I didn't have to be in town this weekend to cantor evensong at my church gig, I might have decided around Wednesday or so to take a long weekend and go to Austin to see my folks, if only because they'd be less nervous if I was there instead of here - and it's been a while since I've visited there anyway.

Of course, I've never actually seen a hurricane for real yet and it looks like this may finally be my chance.  Part of me is excited, but my conscience keeps yelling at me for thinking such things, given what is likely to happen to Galveston and other coastal communities in the event of a direct hit from a real hurricane on Houston.  Some people are saying that this is likly to be as bad at the 1900 Galveston storm, which pretty much wiped the island out.  Now, the island has been built up since then, and theoretically construction engineering and practice are better.  My friend Lynsey goes to medical school on the island, and I am pretty sure she'll still have a school to go to, but will she have an apartment to live in?  What happens to Pete, the crazy, randy alcoholic British ex-pat I met on the beach down there in March?  (I know I posted a story about him because there's a picture of him in my files, but it must have been in the hole because it's gone now).  All the beach houses on the part of the island west of the seawall are likely to be destroyed.

So I don't have to work today.  I'm working on getting laundry done (this would have been a laundry weekend anyway, and I figured I should get it all done before we might be without power/water for a while), getting dishes etc. cleaned up.  TS Allison taught me a different lesson, which is that it's easier to clean up after a disaster if everything was in order before the disaster struck...not that I expect an Allison-like flood in my case.  I'm nowhere near even the worst possible storm surge flood plain, and I'm on the second floor here.  I'll make sure my car is off the street by nightfall, but that's it.  I've got enough water and non-perishable food for a couple of days.  If by Monday it looks like we'll be without power or water for a while, at that point I'll head for Austin (I tanked up earlier in the week), but I think at this point that the likelihood of an extended period without power or water for the city of Houston proper is very low.

Anyway, on behalf of all the Houston-area Hussies, thanks to the non-Houston-area Hussies for your concern for us.  We'll be fine.

< yesterday i planted mushrooms | Resisting the Urge For A Clever Title >
The Calm | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good luck. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:19:18 AM EST
After Gustav I started thinking that the media was just over-hyping the hurricanes, but this sure sounds like the real deal.

Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
its hard to tell by aphrael (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:48:02 AM EST
any given hurricane can be harmless, or it can be an unmitigated disaster, and you can't know in advance.

Luckily by Herring (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Sep 13, 2008 at 01:49:37 PM EST
you live in the greatest country in the world with a track record of being able to sort these things.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
There is a good deal of hype. by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 09:39:03 AM EST
I woke up today and the New Orleans news was raging on about tornado warnings and failing levees.  I got a little nervous and had to call my little lady over there. The convo went something like this.

Me: hey! did you evac or are you dancing around in the tornados and floods?
LL: what? I'm at work right now.
Me: the news makes it sound like the end times are coming over there!
LL: its sunny with a nice breeze. they're being over-darmatic.

To be fair tho, I have no doubt that a good part of Galvston is going to get levelled the same way holly beach was for Kitrina, but the media does have a tendency to try to whip people into a frenzy.

the water is over the sea wall by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 10:03:35 AM EST
in Galveston.  The hurricane-force winds haven't even hit the island yet.

Bolivar peninsula has been under water since this morning, and the Coast Guard has 150 calls for rescues as of 1pm.  They had rescued 60 or so by then.

Surfside beach has been totally under water since 11 am.

They expect 85mph winds up at my place.

Good times!

One day, you'll look back on this and laugh.... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 10:06:48 AM EST
it just won't be today.

I'm laughing now by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 10:16:09 AM EST
I'm not worried.  We have clock's dad and step-mother over, and that what what I was the most worried about.

If there's damage, we'll repair it.  We have food to eat and water to drink.  We have plenty of diapers!  If we lose power, we'll sleep in the tent out back (temperatures are going to be about 10F lower than normal - much cooler outside!).

As long as my family is safe, it's all OK with me.

sleep. in the tent. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 11:09:55 AM EST
oh no by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 11:16:10 AM EST
i meant after the storm passes.  we'll probably be without power for 2 days or so.

Yeah, I'm watching a live feed here. by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 11:12:46 AM EST
Make no mistake, Texas is going to take a beating on this one.  I was just responding to the comment about media hype.  I know we'll get some rain and wind here in cajun land, but a lot of news outlets are hyping things up like the entire coastline from south Texas to east Louisiana will be washed off the face of the earth.

All the best to you and yours.  Try to stay dry!

bracing for impact... by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:40:26 AM EST
...and waiting for the power to go out.

i should grab a nap when the boy goes down for his.  keep your powder dry and pop a couple of pots of coffay in some thermoses.

shout if you need anything!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Coffee might be bad by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 02:22:29 PM EST
since it is dehydrating...in a long power-out scenario, I worry enough about dehydration with sweating, I don't need to add anything else to the mix.

On the other hand, the headache I'm likely to get without my daily caffeine input would probably make things more miserable than they would be otherwise, so perhaps you've got a good idea there.

should be in the mid-to-low 80s... by clock (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 03:33:32 PM EST
...might not be too hot.

i've got the propane + french press ready to rock.

and so it begins...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

With Hurricane Ike coming... by atreides (4.00 / 4) #4 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 09:05:34 AM EST
...I just had to know if there is a Tina, Texas if if said theoretical town was in the path.  It seems there is not, but I just had to know...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Yep by theboz (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 01:34:17 PM EST
The Rita evacuation sucked, otherwise we probably would have left.  It helps that this isn't as strong as they said it was going to be, but it's still going to do a lot of damage.

- - - - -
Do you know my number? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 03:43:31 PM EST
I know, your parents are nearby, but if you need anything, find me.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Got it, thanks... by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 03:56:55 PM EST
Again, I think I'll be fine.  But thank you.

If you need it by duxup (4.00 / 2) #17 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:10:26 PM EST
If you run out of fire don't be afraid to go down the street and steal Pottery Barn's fire....  they're bad people anyway.

____