Print Story I had a great title
By georgeha (Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:04:45 AM EST) stupid gui editor, Juliette Binoche (all tags)
but I lost it trying to deal with the editor. Inside the usual stuff, a gifted amoral engineer, Faces, Breaking and Entering, Wild Hogs, In the Bedroom, Paris Je T'Aime, dealing with city schools and less.

An extra long diary, since I missed last Friday by being off and garage saling, Mrs. Ha was off, the kids were with my folks, so I took off. We had a good weekend with the kids camping with my parents at the Balloon Fest, even having loads of Tex-Mex at John's Tex Mex eatery. The food was plentiful and good, and I felt like I was at a hip hot spot, there were lots of people coming by. The neighborhood was iffy but getting better, there's a shelter down the road, projects not too far away, but a big increase in young college aged people walking around.

The big news is that twelve year old is back in school, taking the city bus (a special route for her school that has generated a few lawsuits) to school, except on the days where it doesn't show up. Yeah, it's not that reliable. She's still not confident enough to pull the rope to request a stop on the way home, maybe with time. Fortunately there are enough kids in the neighborhood who get off when they do. Porsche_girl has a school bus that is very reliable. It shows up about 8 minutes before twelve year old's, at which point we walk towards newspaper_girl's stop, and sometimes meet in the middle. It's a rough transition, she complains she doesn't have time to get to her locker, she has to carry too many books, sometimes she can't get into lunch. She's coming along though.

It seems common, I've talked to other parents, the charter school spoiled us all, middle school is rougher.

On to movie reviews, we started many movies over the last few weeks, and even finished a few.

Breaking and Entering is about some British architects that prefer Macs who have a studio is a crime-ridden part of London, and what happens when some Serbian sorts break in and steal them, repeatedly. The bigger crime is that Juliette Binoche is not in every scene. Her Serbian son is a parkeur enthusiast (some soft of French jumping around buildings and steps thing), and the protagonist's daughter is some sort of autistic gymnast. Meh.

Next up were a few unfinished movies. Faces is supposed to be the first independent film. We watched some of it, I want whatever drug they were on in the beginning, they're supposed to be drunk, but it was like super energetic acid. The cinemotagraphy was interesting, but we just couldn't get into it.

The next aborted movie was In the Bedroom where a college kid hooks up with a MILF with a jealous ex-husband. It didn't capture our attention enough to finish it.

We did finish Wild Hogs, which was funny, and suprisingly family appropriate. It was rated a Pg-13, but I don't recall why it couldn't have been a PG. It's a lightweight buddy film about four middle aged men who form a Harley Rider's club and go on a road trip, with a short cameo from Peter Fonda.

The penultimate movie to review was Sherrybaby, for when Black Snake Moan is to light and happy. If you ever wondered what Maggie Gyllenhaal's breasts looked like, naked and braless, this is the movie for you. In short, Maggie plays someone released from prison and hoping to reconnect with her five year old girl. One bright spot was a Native American leader of her twelve step program was not a noble savage, but a flawed person who was more good than bad. I found it bleak and depressing, Mrs. Ha liked it.

The final movie is Paris, je T'aime, 18 short films on Paris and love. I enjoyed the mimes.

In book news, I've been stalking Parker's Devices and Desires for a while, the main character is a very gifted amoral engineer with a superb political sense. Vaatzes, the protagonist is a shop foreman for the only technological society (about Roman technology maybe), the Mezentines in the world, who maintains their superiority via mercantilism, and are almost totally deadset against innovation, an object made 200 years ago is the same as one made today, they both meet specifications. Vaatzes makes something with improvements, is caught, sentenced to death, and learns his wife and daughter will also suffer somewhat. He can handle death, but when his family is threatened, he decides to get even.

It's refreshing to read a fantasy novel without magic, and where the protagonist only uses his wits. It is a little dry, and very political, and Vaatzes is way too lucky with his machinations. The timing is odd, it almost appears that the three main societies are each only 20 miles apart, with the way letters post from one to another within a day. I'm also not sure about the idea that there was no technological leakage, given how quickly Vaatzes can teach a primitive society to make ballista/scorpios (the wonder weapon of the Mezentine army).

In rereading the first book (it's a trilogy) it's even dryer still. It reminds me of Ender of Ender's Game being transported into the Wheel of Time, without magic. I'll still hunt down books two and three.

No big weekend plans, swimming restarts, maybe sleeping in and homework. Maybe I'll fix my bike headlight and get it ready for inspection, it's overdue.

< Lipstick | Hum, hi. >
I had a great title | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Parkour by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:33:09 AM EST
The ultimate Parkour movie is District B-13. Very good movie. Lots of clips on YouTube.

Then there's also one of the opening scenes from Casino Royale (the new one, not the Woody Allen one).

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I'm not sure I want to watch them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:41:17 AM EST
I'll feel too old and ungraceful.

ISTR watching B-13 a few years back by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu May 21, 2009 at 12:55:17 AM EST
Jean Luc Besson related I think? Good action romp. Waaaaay too much "action" for the kids though.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Say what? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu May 21, 2009 at 06:20:06 AM EST
Hasn't the statute of limitations passed on this diary?

Shhhh... by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri May 22, 2009 at 12:38:59 AM EST
I realized I was about 4 links deep shortly after hitting post. Comments still true though.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Someone watched Wild Hogs? by Clipper Ship (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:35:29 AM EST

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Many people, it was a good buddy movie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:38:30 AM EST

I honestly don't know anyone who saw it by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 05:54:18 AM EST
I don't think I know anyone who even knows anyone who saw it. Must be a regional thing.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I suppose if it were snowmobiles by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:24:03 AM EST
it would have been bigger in Canada.

I can't tell. I live in the city. by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:26:02 AM EST
I've never even been with 100 feet of a snowmobile, that I know of. I don't believe in going outside.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I have seen snowmobiles in our city by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:36:37 AM EST
running over a soccer field. In the suburb where I went to high school, on snow days a friend would pick me up on his unreliable sled and we'd try to go to a different friends' (we made it once or twice, too).

You hear stories up here from people who by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:38:05 AM EST
live way up north who had friends who got their heads cut off by wires in fields that they didn't see when they were snowmobiling. I've heard a couple stories like that.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

In the blizzard of my childhood, south by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 01:11:44 PM EST
of the Mason-Dixon line, a snowmobile drove down the street.

My dog never chased any other vehicle, but a samoyed knows her natural enemy, and gave chase.

Wumpus

It was a so-so buddy movie. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:35:38 AM EST
Though it was funny and watchable, which puts it far above most buddy movies.

Yes, while Midnight Cowboy was more engaging by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:37:43 AM EST
Wild Hogs was more lightweight fun.

Indeed by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:17:38 AM EST
It was a decent movie.  Nothing brilliant, but then I think most movies anymore try for brilliance and fail; this was just a solid, funny movie.

I also cannot watch anything containing Tim by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:27:08 AM EST
the Toolman Taylor. I can't remember his name but I can remember his character. So depressing.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Tim was AWESOME by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:37:22 AM EST
pre and early Tool Time. He sort of became a parody of himself though.

Young Tim on Opening Night at Rodney's if you want to see funny though. Him talking about how guys stand around admiring new lawn equipment was HILARIOUS. "It's got headlights too, in case I wanted to mow the fucker at night."

I've never seen him do standup by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 06:39:13 AM EST
Standup's usually funny, though. I like Emo Phillips.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Emo's frightening in his pensiveness. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 07:00:10 AM EST
Greg Hahn is funny in his over-the-topness on everything.

Never heard of him. I'll ceck him out. by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 10:13:36 AM EST

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Have your bladder well under control. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 11:03:52 AM EST
Yes, he's THAT funny.

Re: Juliete Binoche by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 07:52:33 AM EST
I agree completely.

Parker/Parkour by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:31:36 AM EST
When you mentioned Parker I thought there was a Spencer novel I hadn't read.

As was already mentioned: District B-13 is amazing for the Parkour, but not so much for anything else. It's kind of like a French take on how to do a Hollywood action movie.

Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
I had a great title | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback