Print Story BLING BLING BABY!
By nightflameblue (Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 05:42:54 AM EST) (all tags)
Moar chrome = moar bettah! Plus, a trip.

Due to an incident we won't discuss due to high levels of dumbassery involved, though I will say it was parked at the time, I put a chunk of highway trim on the front fender of the bike last night. Basically, for those not in the know, it looks like a cow-catcher from an old steam engine, just without the uprights, and chromed to the gills. This, plus the big blinged out passenger floorboards that, when folded up, are all chrome with a big Boulevard logo on them, makes it look really bright when it's clean.

It's not currently clean due to a couple of rainy rides.

So, we're headed to Rapid City this weekend. It'll be a relatively quick trip, but it's crossing South Dakota so it'll also be a quiet one. Hey, it's SoDak. No hills. No terrain. Just wide open see-everything-for-hundreds-of-miles-in-every-direction space.

Everyone we know is trying to talk us out of riding the bike. Everyone.

List of reasons:

• It'll rain: We have rain suits. One of them has even been tested and found fine.
  • It'll be cold: We have jackets and coats. Again, I've even tested mine and been fine.
  • There's wildlife out there: DUR?
  • It's too late in the season: It's supposed to be seventy-five degrees most of the weekend. It's not like we're gonna run into ice on the way home.
  • One of dad's friends went down last weekend. His wife is HYSTERICAL over it. To quote, "those kids are gonna die!" Nothing is as safe as you think. I could die right now at my desk.

Unless the forecast changes from scattered showers to all weekend long thunderstorms, we're doing it. You'd think any of the folks telling us not to would have known us long enough to know better than to tell us NOT to do something. We were so-so on the idea because of how quick the trip has to be. But, two weeks of people telling us it either can't be done, or shouldn't be done, and we're ready to rawk it.

This should be fun. Mrs. NFB has even gone through her usual packing routine and forced herself to skip all the what-ifs. We're down to two pairs of jeans, two pairs of underwear, two pairs of socks, and two t-shirts each, plus our rain gear and a jacket each. Toiletries are down to a very, very small bag. Everything else we need will be on us. That'll the lightest Mrs. NFB has ever packed for any trip. Got my toolkit in the left bag, spare fluids in the right. And I'm pretty sure we'll be ready to roll as of tonight around nine-thirty. We'll head out Friday and be there before it gets dark. I'm allowing about an hour and a half longer than it would take in a car for the extra gas stops and stretching our legs.

Big trips is one of the top reasons we both wanted a bike. I love cruising the city after dark with it. I love having something other than a car to take to work. I love having an errand vehicle for those loads that aren't going to get very big. But the big trips was the thing we really wanted it for. And while we don't do a lot of them, this being our first opportunity, we're taking it.

Should be some fun.

< Stings | "Are those... leather patches on your elbows?" >
BLING BLING BABY! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
this just in... by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:30:54 AM EST
...life is terminal!  film at 11.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Everybody dies. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:36:37 AM EST
It's your choice if you choose the slow death of "safety," or the possible quick-out of "fun."

I know which I'd choose.

word up! by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:42:16 AM EST
now i've got to get back to having sex on a high wire while juggling flaming knives!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Don't forget the video camera. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:46:09 AM EST
Your death will be meaningless if it can't be youtubed!

Keep the shiny sides up by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:35:55 AM EST
and the dirty ones down.

I have so far. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 06:37:05 AM EST
And plan on continuing to.

One of my cousins died in a motorcycle crash. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 07:19:35 AM EST
Failed to negotiate something something.

They're only worried about y'all. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I know. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 08:32:29 AM EST
It's just irritating to think that, according to the stats, I'm far more likely to die within thirty miles of home, but everybody REALLY fights any long travel somehow believing higher speeds = riskier.

That combined with the "I didn't buy it to look at" thing just sort of put me off the folks poo-pooing the very idea.

I should think... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 08:38:17 AM EST
...people would realize that driving on the highway is far far safer for a motorcycle than negotiating traffic in a city. Sure, you have some hazards and you're going at a higher speed. But, c'mon, seriously.

It seems logical to me. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 08:49:34 AM EST
Your speed difference with any other moving object on the interstate is, tops, ten miles an hour. Your speed difference in the city on a split road is sixty plus with constant cross traffic to deal with.

But for some reason people see the most important difference being ground speed. Meh.

Well, if you die > 30 miles from home by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 09:39:02 AM EST
it makes recovering your body that much more expensive. They're just being foresighted, that's all.
With the price of gas these days, that sort of planning really pays dividends.

Motorcycles by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 11:37:41 AM EST
If you ride the road from Sturgis to Deadwood, one of the many crosses you pass represents the place where my stepmother's brother leaned into an oncoming RV while going around a blind curve.

So at the very least: don't lean into the other lane on blind curves.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Not to put too fine a point on it. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 11:52:57 AM EST
but that seems pretty obvious. Corners seem to be the problem spot for a lot of folks on bikes though.

season by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 09:34:18 AM EST
because i'm always late about it, I've started thinking about winter storage for my bike. Yesterday was too cold for me to ride to work in my normal gear, even though it gets warm enough during the day to be fine. But, I don't have a garage/shed either.

The thing I don't like about long rides on the bike is no music/radio, and no good way to talk to my gf. That's certainly not deadly though.

I don't mind the lack of music. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 09:37:29 AM EST
The no talking thing is gonna be difficult I suppose, but we'll see how that goes on a trip of more than a couple hours. I think it'll be rougher on her than me, because I'll kind of have my mind busy. She's basically dead weight on the bike, and doesn't have to remember much more than to not jump around and to look over the inside shoulder in front of her on any turns. She's thinking iPod, I'm thinking she won't hear it even fully cranked.

inside her helmet by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 09:39:06 AM EST
probably ok. I tried an ipod once driving, and you have to adjust the volume up and down to much in traffic, and it didn't fit well inside my helmet. Since she's not driving, the volume thing should be ok, as long as it fits in her helmet.

It's pretty loud out there. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 10:48:17 AM EST
Loud enough I'm bringing earplugs. I had concert ears bad after my trip to Sioux City, and that's a little over an hour each way. Most of that's probably from the wind noise, but still. Maybe if she had something with more strength than the stock earbuds?

do you have full face helmets? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 03:36:32 PM EST
My full face, with no windshield is enough to counter the worst of the noise. Without the helmet though, windnoise is terrible.

Yeah, full facers. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 03:11:12 AM EST
But they've got top vents that get a little unruly unless they're wide open. And it's gonna be tough keeping them wide open if we get to traveling in any rain.

It's possible though that with some bass boost she can hear OK inside the helmet. It's really loud, but I think I remember being able to hear myself talk pretty easily after the siding incident. Voice hits a different register than that woosh sound that's constantly surrounding you out there I suppose.

BLING BLING BABY! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback