Print Story Why is there no fashion/clothing category?
Wizards and Hobbits
By georgeha (Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:15:12 AM EST) lederhosen, beer, training wheels (all tags)
Lederhosen, aside from Oktoberfest, how often will I wear them? Are they really a fashion must have?

Plus, the Boxer, How to Make War, good weekend, Hail King Ethelbert, two wheeling, a good thing about forgetting that it's Monday, and less.

Poll: Do you love your job?

It was a good weekend, low key, with garage saling, flea marketing and even a workout. I haven't had a decent workout since June, it felt great. We didn't go to the big local Arts Fest, but we skirted around it checking out the various garage sales. At one, a lass from London (really, another customer asked where she was from) was selling all sorts of cool clothing, Mrs. Ha got a very nice red dress. She also had a pair of Lederhosen, and I was sorely tempted, but decided I would only wear them once or twice a year, so why bother?

This weekend's movie was The Boxer, a good flick set in Northern Ireland where Daniel Day Lewis is a boxer just out of prison trying to bring Catholics and Proddies together, while Emily Watson plays the yummy mummy with a husband is still in prison yet she still bears a torch for Lewis. Bad things happen when a prisoner's wife is caught with another man, yet the end is relatively happy.

We dropped a bundle at the flea market, mostly on clothing and flowers, and a flea market bundle is a lot less than a mall bundle.

I may have mentioned that we had a daycare mixup, I guess when you don't have a job to go to, it's easy to mix up the days. It wasn't a total loss, taking a half day, I now have a carboy of nut brown ale bubbling away. My liquid yeast didn't perk up like last time, so I threw in some reconstituted dry yeast, it will make an interesting experiment.

Twelve year old was complaining that Kings and Queens of England/UK have boring normal names, I explained she had it backwards, the reason they're boring is that Americans chose them for names. Fortunately the World Book had lots of Anglo-Saxon Kings listed, Ethelbert, Egberd and Canute were all names she had never heard.

Seven year old is still trying to ride without training wheels. She also found my old skateboard, and wants to learn that. It's a real old board with narrow trucks, new ones must be easier to ride on.

I mentioned that I found a trove of books in the curb, the first one I read was James F,. Dunnigan's How to Make War, the 1993 edition. It was a good oversight of the modern military, nice reading if you want more indepth reading than you get in a news magazine. Well worth the effort to walk half a block.

The second book was also a Dunnigan book, the 1993 version of A Quick and Dirty Guide to War, lots of detail on potential wars across the globe, including the countries, factions, capabilities and reasons. A decent reference book, if not very enthralling.

One unexpected thing about the Dunnigan books is that for someone who's career is based on war (he was first known as a wargame designer) is that he holds a dim opinion of war, it's almost always more expensive and less effective than the people who start wars suspect.

The third book was Invaders: British and American Experience of Seaborne Landings, 1939-1945, mostly anecdotes about people involved in various sea invasion of World War II, from North Africa to Burma. Well worth the price.

Do you love your job? I consider myself fortunate to have a job that's often interesting, pays well enough, and has benefits. Free color prints are also a nice benefit, but I can't say I love my job. Do you?

< Things I need to do. | p.s. i'll find my phone >
Why is there no fashion/clothing category? | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
As Daniel Day Lewis fan ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:26:36 AM EST
... I was underwhelmed by The Boxer. I don't think it came close to the brilliance of either In the Name of Father or My Left Foot. I think that this was largely by design. I got the impression from the film that they were trying very hard to simply capture what was happening to everyday folks at the time the film was set.

As for royal names from the British Isles, I'm rather fond of Boadicea.

Cicero, The Republic
Have I got a game for you by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:31:34 AM EST
Avalanche Press's Queen of the Celts, pin up version.

"... no fashion/clothing category?" by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:29:33 AM EST
I guess you're new here.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
We need to broaden the demographic appeal by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:33:45 AM EST
beyond computer geeks.

Noooooo!!!! by Herring (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:45:13 AM EST
Not Other People!

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
You'd be very popular by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:32:55 AM EST
at Ramrod in your tight little lederhosen.

Also: King's names. Try Beowulf. Or maybe Offa.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

I don't have the ruffled white shirt by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:34:38 AM EST
would I be allowed in bare chested?

It's required by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 07:42:21 AM EST
Job by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:51:25 AM EST
Generally blows goats.

But they have me by the financial balls.

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz

As long as they don't bite or squeeze too hard by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:53:48 AM EST
I'm not seeing the problem, too often they're neglected in favor of the bat.

Dunnigan books by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 07:18:51 AM EST
I have those editions, and previously had earlier editions of one of those from the early eighties. I remember consulting it during the Falklands war and saying to myself: "Hmmm...looks like Britain is going to kick Argentina's ass".

They get out of date fast, though.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I figure someone was getting rid of college course by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 07:25:14 AM EST
stuff, or old boyfriend stuff.

WIPO: It depends... by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 07:46:17 AM EST
When I first started it was great, now, not so much.  Hopefully it'll get better or I'll get laid off.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
George by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 10:11:51 AM EST
do you have a missing brother ? I just keep thinking he looks vaguely like you every time I read an update..

Not that I'm aware of by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 10:14:53 AM EST
but you never know.

i like my job by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 02:55:57 PM EST
and at times, i do love it. at other times, though, it's quite frustrating.
---------
I enjoy the field I am in by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Aug 09, 2008 at 08:48:42 AM EST
and the fact that I really do know my shit, but the current job (pay/benefits/perks), not so much...
Working out by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 11:06:47 AM EST
I constantly want to, but with the current state of the house 1) there is very little room and 2) There are n+1 other things I should be doing, where n is the number of things I could possibly get done before I die.

I like my job, but I am still not in the position where I want to be. I like the people I work with, and most of the things I do, but if I was at home, I wouldn't be doing what I want to do now.

We have a Y membership by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 11:09:27 AM EST
I find it's just nice to get out of the house, plus the Y I go to is next door to the library with all the cool DVDs.

Lederhosen by Lady Jane (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:59:07 PM EST