Print Story ATTENTION WESTCOAST INFIDELS!
Travel
By ni (Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:27:59 PM EST) velocipedes, I'm an idiot (all tags)
An important message within!

I shall soon be visiting you. Maybe. Sort of.

Inspired by spacejack, and determined to do something interesting with a summer which has so far been fun but unadventurous, I have resolved to bicycle down the west coast of North America in August. Specifically, I shall attempt going from Vancouver (or possibly Seattle) to San Francisco. I shall start on or about the 14th, and return around the 5th of September. I plan to follow US Route 101 before switching to Highway 1 in California. This will be further west than I have ever been before, and will provide my first view of the Pacific.

I decided to do this forty five minutes ago, and will be out of the country for the week before this trip, so everything is rather last minute. Spacejack has very generously offered to provide me with some cycling equipment, saving substantially on the cost. In so far as this is financially workable now (and it isn't, really) it would be completely unworkable without his generosity. I still must quickly track down a tent and a laptop computer (the latter for reasons best not spoken of), but hopefully this will be possible in the next few days.

I would like to meet up with some of you on the way. As well, I would be most grateful for any offers of accommodation that might come my way. I am fully house trained, and do not require linen or silk sheets, or a bed, or even a contiguous horizontal space (I am a topological marvel) to enjoy a satisfactory night's rest. I am afraid I do not anticipate having long in any one city, for even without stops my timetable will be rushed. That said, I will most assuredly find a way to meet up with anyone on the way if they are interested.

My schedule is amorphous and fluid for the moment. I do not doubt it will firm up as time goes on. It is relatively safe to say that I will be in Vancouver on the 14th and likely 15; that I will be in Seattle some time shortly after that, and that I will be in San Francisco some time shortly before the 5th of September. I know such uncertainties are difficult to plan around. I will do my very best to make more accurate predictions as the time approaches.

If anyone would like to join me for a day or two, or even a few hours, I would be delighted to have you. I basically need to make around 80 or 90 km a day minimum, so it might not be workable if you haven't biked in 20 years and are planning to use your grandparents' velocipede, but aside from that I would love company. One of my biggest fears for this trip is the onslaught of loneliness. I'd really love company.

My other fear, of course, is that I will not be physically capable of the endeavor. One might think that planning to do something like this was an indication that I had some experience or facility with regard to long distance cycling, but this isn't at all true. I was told I biked 100 km three years ago, but suspect I was lied do. Regardless, I didn't move for two days afterward. I'm, uh, kind of hoping everything physical will just sort of magically sort itself out.

Needless to say, I could use any help offered. What sort of help?

1. Lodging, as mentioned. And an occasional shower. For the love of god, a shower.
  2. Advice! Any advice at all, about routes or crucial things to see or good camp grounds or crazed husiites to avoid (I will be carrying my anti-terpia spray on me at all times) would really be appreciated. In particular, if anyone has any idea how one gets from Vancouver to Seattle on bicycle, I'd be most interested. Google maps search (with the "walking" route specified) provides a pretty hair-brained route. It also seems you can bike on much of I5, but this stops pretty far from Seattle.
  3. If I'm near you, come out for a drink with me. It will be a not-insignificant help.
  4. If you have any particularly relevant maps you're not using, they could be pretty helpful. Likely we can find someone early on the route they could be mailed to, and I could mail them back when I was done. I can't imagine they'd be difficult to find, but I am so desperately short on time.
  5. Have an old laptop or digital camera you've been trying to sell to some sucker for years? We should talk.
And finally, a very special message for IgnoreAmos: I'm willing to let the promise of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue if I made it to the west coast slide if you make it far north enough for a drink. Come on. You know you want to.
< Not that I like her all that much | OK, stop the Internet. >
ATTENTION WESTCOAST INFIDELS! | 47 comments (47 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
attention oregon / washington infidels by R343L (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:29:05 PM EST
Despite having met and liking many of you, I do hope you'll speed ni along -- after all, it would be unfortunate were he to miss his flight. (Also, were he to miss seeing San Francisco as much as possible, I would go on a rampage.).

ni, you are, of course, welcome at the House of Things -- I have very tolerant roommates and there is a spare futon or two. And it's in San Francisco -- much better than way out in the boonies. (I hope jared doesn't get mad at me for saying that.)

Do you want to go *through* Seattle? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:39:10 PM EST
I know a good detour around the city, if that's your goal.
I'll send you my cell number as the date approaches.

Damn, yo's. by ni (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:42:50 PM EST
That's a pile of tempting. I think I would be remiss if I didn't meet up with several people there though (your esteemed self included), though, so tentatively I'm saying I'd like to go through. Perhaps even loiter for an evening.

And a cell number by ni (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:44:22 PM EST
would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not westerly enough by marvin (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:50:43 PM EST
I'm about 3-400km east of your route, as I live in the Okanagan valley. However, I have a buddy from high school who is doing the Americas by bike, and he did Victoria to California almost two years ago. He's somewhere in Brazil now.

He did the stretch from Seattle to California starting Oct 12, 2006, and arrived in SF on Nov 6. Full log with photos at crazyguyonabike.com. If you search that site, you should find a few other journals for the Vancouver - SF route, and also some tips on long distance touring.

Instead of a large, heavy used laptop, I'd either lean towards intarweb cafes, leeching from couch-surfing hosts, or else buying something tiny and light to carry, like an eeeeee pc.

You should drive west! by R343L (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:10:20 PM EST
I can strongly say that ni is worth meeting. So you should drive west for a meet!

That link by ni (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 10:20:16 PM EST
is useful if only for being reassuring. Thanks.

Biking and stuff by LinDze (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:55:12 PM EST
I've got a ton of long distance tips. I think our spare bedroom should be free about then if you come south of SF. I'd also be up to do the final portion of the ride. Something like Fort Bragg to SF/SJC. This would be contingent on doing it partially on a weekend though.

CalTrans publishes some PDFs that show restricted areas on CA highways. These typically also include bypasses and alternate routes.

As a general rule for touring you can do 5x your daily ride. If you're looking at 100km/day start doing at least 20km/day ASAP. It will take a few days to get into your rhythm still, which wont be much time on such a short trip.

Biking on I5 will totally fucking suck IMHO. If you can get onto smaller roads, even 101, it will be a lot more enjoyable.

Instead of a tent a covered hammock is a good alternative. It's sheltery, weighs less, and uses less space.

In CA at least the state parks have camping areas that are reserved for hikers and bikers. These also tend to be the best spots, and super cheap. You could probably free camp in certain areas too, can't say I've tried it up there though.

Map wise 1:150k is my favorite. 1:100k is good too, any smaller and it's you'll be going through a few per day. To be fair, if you're mainly on 101 and the like, something like 1:500k might work just fine. 1:250K could be a good compromise.

Kreb's makes great CA touring maps. They have one that would cover all of the CA North Coast down to SF.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

That would be AWESOME. by ni (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:19:27 PM EST

That would be spectacular. Alas, I'm not optimistic about it being partially on a weekend. I leave on a Saturday, and cannot fathom myself entering SF a week earlier than necessary.

Cool. I shall endeavor to print these.

Yeah; not an issue. I do more than 20km a day almost every day. Still, most of it is pretty flat. We'll see.

Blech. Noted. Perhaps I will cheat. mostly-harmless has said he might be convinced to drive me down to Seattle. Everyone tells me that that part of the journey will otherwise really suck, and it makes me fantastically tight on time.

Biking on I5 will totally fucking suck by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 07:41:20 AM EST
Agreed.

My Old Man did Portland to SF many years ago, and he was in terrible shape. He stuck to 101 all the way down the coast and enjoyed it.
101 along the Oregon coast is pretty fucking hilly in spots and be sure to make allowances for wind drag. It can be pretty fierce there.

BTW by R343L (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:23:58 PM EST
If you do head up north to join up with ni, we should go together. Because, well, I really should just go and not worry about work so much. We'll see.

exactly. I need to just get out and ride. by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 02:25:59 PM EST
I do need something of a firm date to make sure I can get off those days. ohhh, better make sure I'm not on call either. That could be a deal breaker.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Having had ni to stay when MBW and I were by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 12:59:46 AM EST
Living in the Schoolhouse Eyrie, I can vouch that ni is indeed housetrained.

Although keep some medical equipment nearby as he tends to pick up cuts, grazes and abrasions.  And has a dangerously high tolerance for strong liquor.

Should be an easy ride by Herring (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 02:25:25 AM EST
It's downhill.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
damn you! by clock (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 03:28:30 AM EST
this is a perfect idea!  we would join you if it were more feasible.  if you decide to pedal to the gulf, let us know.

anybody else think a husi bike trip would be a good idea?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

not as good as my idea by garlic (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 08:18:50 AM EST
riverboating / rafting down the mississippi.

well, maybe Sam Clemens had it first (or publicized it) but I still like it.

from where to where? by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 10:58:18 AM EST
I could probably bus up north of the mason-dixon and end the trip near home.

its still in the conceptual phase. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 02:06:47 PM EST
I'm not as much of a roustabout as Mr. ni.

I'll be on the lookout for updates. by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #45 Thu Aug 07, 2008 at 09:30:12 AM EST
waiting for a nice trip.

Yes, yes I do by R343L (4.00 / 2) #24 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 08:24:12 AM EST
HusiStockOnWheels!

Let's ride the route of the 2009 Tour de France by Herring (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 12:42:49 PM EST
Or, actually no because it's a long way and goes up some serious hills.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
how crappy of a laptop will suffice? by 256 (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 04:01:06 AM EST
you can have mine, but it's about ten years old and has no battery, so it's basically a really light desktop.

upside: it has linux already installed on it and the nethack score file has like four ascensions.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Trip advice by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 04:27:16 AM EST
Remember my friend who rode up through Maine and took pictures of your world's largest illuminated violin or whatever it was not far from your house in NS? He and his husband are back in Seattle.

He's done the Vancouver to Seattle trip and he'd be happy to give advice.

I'll e-mail you contact info.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Good for you . . . by slozo (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 04:35:11 AM EST
. . . Carpe Diem and all that, should be fun. A few notes:
  1. You can take the ferry across to Victoria, then ferry to Seattle - or perhaps there is a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle. Obviously that costs money so it might not be an option, but the ferry ride is pretty sweet, IMO, and worth it.
  2. Having hitched the route you are about to take, it's damn beautiful and scenic - but as others have mentioned, even biking, say, the coastal road - a bit treacherous perhaps. Stay off the highways if you can and take local roads when possible.
  3. Must See stop along the way - the Redwood National Park. Some nice hikes in there, alongside the awesome scenery. There is a hostel close by as well with nice fascilities and I think you can camp there . . . nice beach nearby as well. Illegally camping among the redwoods and biking away from forest rangers would be an awesome husi adventure to relate, IMO. It could easily be done by a mobile person on a bike, and it'd save you money.
  4. You can get free showers at a lot of hostels, you have to be a bit shady though. Basically, one can gain entry by starting up a conversation with someone outside (preferrably a girl, for you) and then walking in with them as if you already registered. Preferrable times are between 12noon-2pm, when a lot of hostels are in the midst of house-cleaning duties and access is often unfettered. You might have to wait inside for an hour until the showers are open for use again; but it's free, so one can't complain at that point. I've also stayed for free at a few hostels, but you really have to pick your spots, or get in with a group of people who have a room with empty beds, not always easy.
  5. I may have an old tent for you to, uh, borrow. When do you need to pick it up?

Thanks for the thoughts. by ni (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 06:15:19 AM EST
1. I may have successfully persuaded a certain unnamed but almost entirely harmless husiite to drive me to Seattle. Everyone I talk to says that the road from Vancouver to Seattle is long, difficult and boring.

No ferry from Vancouver, but one from Victoria. It'd be ~ $110, though, which would be better spent on hookers and blow.

3. I will definitely do my best to allocate some time to see the Redwood National Park. This is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Message received re unconventional camping opportunities.

4. If there's one thing I am, it's shady.

Uh. Shit. Ignore that, anyone potentially housing me.

5. Holy fuck! That would be really great! Probably not workable, though. I leave for a bit less than a week in Philadelphia on Friday night, and will be back for around 8 hours before catching my flight out. Also, not to look a gift house in the mouth, but it would need to be pretty small or it would kill me.

It's a small tent . . . by slozo (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 06:32:44 AM EST
. . . (which is why I got a new one), so you either want it, or don't. PM me for potential drop-off of same at some intermediary point between where I work (Markham) and where your ass is.

I have no useful advice... by Lady Jane (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 06:14:10 AM EST
aside from stay hydrated and use lots of sunscreen!  A camelback would come in handy, and are usually attainable for less than $30.

If you ever bike the East Coast I can offer you a place to stay in Maine.

Good Luck!

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian

I would offer a place to stay by notafurry (4.00 / 3) #20 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 06:46:47 AM EST
But there are two issues -
  1. I live considerably (40 miles) north of Seattle, so you'd be backtracking unless you do decide to bike down.
  2. There four members of my immediate family, two of them children. There are currently six people living in my house. In the timeframe discussed there may be as many as eight. I think I'd rather stay with you for a night, I could use the break.
On the other hand, if you were to bike to Seattle and you were to plan to spend a night in Everett (south of me, bit north of Seattle) I could be persuaded to get you in to sleep on my boat. Heated marina showers included.

Actually, if the Seattle Husiites were willing, that might work out very much in your favor. Spend the night in Everett including drinks at a local bar (I favor a marina watering hole called the Scuttlebutt that is also a microbrewery, but there are other choices available), then in the morning bicycle to Edmonds (via side streets, it's a pretty route with little traffic) and take the ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula for <$5 US. From there, take scenic coastal highways south to the 101. Skip Seattle and so on more-or-less entirely, still see local Husites, and get better scenery south of Everett.

A very generous offer. by ni (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 07:17:02 AM EST
It looks, though, like I'll probably end up getting a drive down to Seattle. Even if I were to bike it, it would probably be to Victoria (where I have a long-lost Aunt I've not met) with a ferry to Seattle. As well, even if the Seattle husi contingent were up for it, I have another friend I've promised a drink with living in Redmond.

Annoyingly, were I to do a straight bike trip from Vancouver to Seattle, Everett would be ideal to stop in. Staying on your boat would be great fun, and marina shows sound lovely.

So, tentatively I'm thinking this is unworkable, but we'll see how things play out in the next week.

Cheers by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 08:48:29 AM EST
Offer remains open.

I will note that the difference between a drive to Seattle and a drive to Everett is about 20 miles and a LOT less traffic. Also, the drive from Redmond to Everett for your friend would be about 40 minutes unless it were during rush hour, then it would be about an hour. (I make that drive every day, working in Bellevue (SW of Redmond) and commuting through Everett to my home.)

More south-end Seattle Husites would have a longer hike to enjoy festivities... but if you follow the 101 down the Peninsula, and keep the east for a bit, you could loop through Olympia before heading south across some pretty country and then following the Columbia back all the way to the sea. It'd be a bit flatter - following the Columbia through the tail end of the spine of the Olympics and all - and the drive from the south end of Seattle to Olympia is shorter than that from Redmond to Everett.

For that matter, if you chose to take the western leg of the ride and skip Seattle, I work in Bellevue. Drinks in the evening in Seattle or the east side (Redmond) could be easily followed by a ride to Everett. I drive a Vibe these days, transport shouldn't be a problem. It would technically be backtracking to get to Everett, but it would leave you with a much prettier ride the following day.

Just another couple of options to factor in to your choices.

Coast >> OlyWa >> Coast by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 09:01:47 AM EST
That's a pretty serious detour. Dunno how much time he'd have for that.
I'd suggest he take SR 9 south (by car or bike) to avoid the I-5 mess around Everett.

No good by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 10:17:53 AM EST
One, it's not coast>Olympia>coast, it's western shore of Puget Sound>Olympia>Coast. 104 to 307 to 3 to 101 to Olympia. It's a bit of a detour - 108 would be the logical choice over to the coast along that route by car - but not by all that much, and 108 does some serious climbing while I-5 gradually descends to Longview. (And is paralleled by a succession of smaller highways that would be better for biking.) From there, 4 or 30 follow the river to the coast; I'd take 30, myself, and end up in Astoria without having to cross the big causeway and bridge at the mouth.

Two, SR 9 is my neck of the woods. It's horrible for riding with a 60 mph average speed and no usable shoulders. There's a good trail that wanders through that area, but it's nearly impossible to follow for a non-local since it's not well-marked. Plus right now half of SR 9 is torn up crossing the river flats south of Snohomish, and it would dump him into Woodinville with no coherent way around Seattle and the east side. He could go THROUGH - 908 to Redmond, or better Bothell-Everett highway to Kirkland and then Lake City Way - but it'd be a mess to do it that way and heavy traffic.

Crap. Forgot about Snohomish construction. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 11:43:56 AM EST
I think Bothell-Everett highway to Lake City Way and beyond would be pretty accommodating for a cyclist.

If he didn't want to follow the WA coastline, I'd suggest following the official STP route. Why re-invent the wheel?

Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia/beyond by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #31 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 12:49:21 PM EST
Coming out of Seattle, if you want to be able to come through Tacoma (since that's where I am, after all), you could go down 4th Ave in Seattle perhaps (former US 99) route, meet up with the current SR 99 until you get to SR 509, take that down to Tacoma (it's a lovely drive), although you'd probably want to get off when it gets to the freeway part near Tacoma, then once in Tacoma you could either take SR 7 south to 507, then either down the Yelm Highway or 510 to Pacific Ave or Martin Way (both former routes of US 99) OR from Tacoma, go down the former US 99 route along the South Tacoma Way (shitty road, but more direct) and Pacific Highway, ride on I-5 briefly, and then get off on Old Pacific Highway (exit 116) and end up on SR 510. Once leaving Olympia, you could either ride up US 101 and go down the old US 410 route along SR 8 and US 12, or go down along the old US 99 route until you get to US 12 and hop over to US 101 (and, as mentioned before, the former route of US 410 runs along US 12 for a less busy experience).

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

US 410 by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 04:50:26 PM EST
Isn't that part of the STP route? It's pretty safe, I think.

I dunno. by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #35 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:28:00 PM EST
But it was an east/west route, so it's not really on the way to Portland. The former route, though, still runs along US 12 on the way to Aberdeen, so it ought to be OK. Hrm, although now that I look, there's only a little of the old route left. Looks like most of it's under US 12 now. I haven't been out that way in over ten years, though, and I don't remember how busy US 12 is there. SR 6 might be another possible route across.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

So, here's the deal. by ni (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:53:08 PM EST
I really want to sit down a drink PBR with you. Thing is, I have basically no time. I have about 6 days, total, in which I can do something other than bicycle directly south all day. Assuming perfect weather, no injuries, and legs like Doric columns.

This ignores the minor detail that I have the geographic sense of a pacman ghost and couldn't decipher your instructions if my life depended on it.

Is there anyway you can make it to Seattle for a night? Or maybe even possibly Olympia, which would only be a tiny deviation from my flight-plan?

Let's figure this out. We're going to drink PBR and listen to Wagner. I swear it.

Oh fucking hell by Captain Tenille (1.00 / 1) #40 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 07:26:11 PM EST
Actually, I just looked at your schedule, and it looks like you'll probably be passing through the Puget Sound area while I'm down on the Oregon coast on vacation (I'll be gone from the 9th to the 17th). Major bummerness.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

YOU GET A ONE. /nt by ni (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 07:56:49 PM EST

NOOOOOOOOES!!!1!!one n/t by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #42 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 08:54:09 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Route by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #36 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:43:45 PM EST
Consult Adventure Cycling.

The map you're after.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Those look great. by ni (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:47:26 PM EST
But they're $60. And the state provided highway maps are free. And I'm afraid I'm pretty goddamn broke.

Perhaps if I strip [ed: I'm leaving that typo in.] over a gold nugget tomorrow.

Try Craigslist by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #39 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 06:02:57 PM EST
someone may have ones you could use. They're worth it.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
olympia by wndl (4.00 / 1) #43 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 10:15:48 PM EST
i'm not sure when you'll be cruising thru olytown, since it seems you haven't determined your vancouver/seattle leg yet, but it looks like I might be back from my trip in time.  I'll be home the evening of the 17th.

"...there you have it: an actual anecdote, second hand, from the Internet."--DesiredUsername
"what fun is gettin naked on a webcam if ya have to provide tech support"--dev trash

I fly out of Vancouver on the 14th. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #44 Thu Aug 07, 2008 at 08:56:15 AM EST
At 7pm. I'd better PM you my contact details. I have a genuine unused crappy 5 mpix camera that I bought by doziness in Cardiff airport, if you want it. No memory card or rechargeable batteries, though.

Would be great to briefly meet up with you if you're in the airport around then.

Oh, and sorry, Mostly Harmless, I will write back to you to see if we can meet up.

Have time for a Seattle meetup? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #46 Thu Aug 07, 2008 at 09:52:27 AM EST
Still banninated from Canuckistan, I'm afraid.

Afraid not. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #47 Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 06:20:54 PM EST
Also, I'm not entirely sure I can get into the US, either. Bloody idiot officials who don't stamp you out of the country.

ATTENTION WESTCOAST INFIDELS! | 47 comments (47 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback