Print Story package: received
Sport
By gzt (Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:00:19 AM EST) gzt, drowning (all tags)
I just got my swim trunks in the mail. It's been a while since I've been swimming. I'm going to conquer the lake.

I've forgotten the breaststroke, my crawl is more of a flail, and my side stroke putters along, but I'll make it go. Butterfly? Ha! Anyways: I'll be swimming in the lake! Woo! I'll catch horrible diseases and maybe drown. It'll be great.

Failing that, I'll just keep running.

Big storm last night, tornado sirens and all. I was going to go to Wings Night without having wings, but the rain kept me in. When I saw the storm coming, I thought about stepping outside to get hit by the first wave of the downpour, it's sometimes fun to do, but the sirens kept me in. That and reports of penny-sized hail. It was a good storm, constant flickering, loud booms, heavy downpours, no hail. I went to bed early and then at 11:30 there was another round - not as severe, but it was loud and thunderful.

I need to get out of here.

< "So, did you go visit the other woman today?" | uh, wha-? >
package: received | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
swim trunks ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:27:27 AM EST
banana hammock, Italian job, or a normal pair of trunks ?

budgie smugglers by cam (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:28:53 AM EST
normal pair by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:32:31 AM EST
I'm not in it for speed or anything.

Like this? by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 11:01:00 AM EST
You should come here by R343L (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:19:41 AM EST
We can swim in the San Francisco Bay together.

Note: I get one or two reactions to this. "What?! You're going to get poisoned!" or "What?! You're going to freeze to death!" So, I figure if I can swim regularly in the bay I'm immune to poisons and cold (well, not the latter as I'll wear a wetsuit for the foreseeable future).

oddly by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:25:50 AM EST
I just got an e-mail about a possible interview in the Bay area.

It's fate! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:35:19 AM EST
You'll come here and join the Dolphin Club or the South End Rowing Club!

looks like milwaukee is making a power play by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:19:01 PM EST
so we'll have to see if it is my destiny

Bear in mind, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 12:53:48 PM EST

everyone in the Bay Area is a total pussy, so swimming in the bay probably seems like trying to wrestle a sasquatch and two sharks while fighting alligators and bears with bloodied feet to most of them.

Don't you live in the Bay Area? by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 02:34:29 PM EST
Or are far enough inland not to count?

Cicero, The Republic
Of all the things you could call what I do by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:39:35 PM EST

"living" is not one of them.

right on, my bad by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 03:59:15 AM EST
Upon review, I noticed your description applied to everyone in the bay area without qualification as to whether they were living or not.

I'll try to read more closely next time.

Cicero, The Republic
Yes, and the irony was inserted at write-time by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:01:46 AM EST

so pointing the irony out to the author, regardless of how obtuse he or she may be, does not inform the author of anything he or she didn't already know. It's like hammering a nail that's already flush.

forgive me, I'm slow by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:16:48 AM EST
I tend to keep flogging away at dead horses until I realize that they are indeed dead.

Cicero, The Republic
It's important to make sure things are dead by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 06, 2008 at 05:53:25 AM EST

I can totally understand that.

Lake by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 01:11:19 PM EST
I went in the lake 2 weekends ago and this past weekend -- the water is really warm up at Montrose bay.

2 weekends ago U of C was taking surveys as part of their cook county water safety study. I did the survey and have been called twice so far following up on my health after being in the lake.

This past weekend it was red flagged. I kayaked anyway. It was also very windy, and the kayak threw me out and then beat me about the body many times. It was a blast.

package: received | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback