Print Story "So, did you go visit the other woman today?"
By nightflameblue (Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:23:28 AM EST) (all tags)
"Nah, I let her sleep in that condo I put her up in so she's well rested for tomorrow."

I'm signed up for the rider's course on August 21-22. That's going to be a long wait. Mrs. NFB is not happy, but that's kind of the bed we made when we bought it. I knew it wouldn't be instant. Apparently she didn't like that.

I'm feeling very comfortable with my riding right now. I'm tightening my turning radius at very low speeds and getting more comfortable with slightly increased speeds and leaning turns. Can't really test that out well until I get some highway time, but that'll come soon enough.

Read through the first part of the manual last night and found that I'm not supposed to open it up past half throttle until it has five hundred miles on it. That's gonna be a lot of time under fifty miles an hour. I figure that's cool though. There are a lot of back country highways around here I always wanted to check out that are too long a trip for a bicycle ride to cover in a single day, but would be excellent for a motorcycle. Once I'm licensed, we'll probably be spending some Saturdays out exploring.

I had more fresh sliced tomato on a nice foreman grilled burger last night. More yum per square inch than should be legal.

I guess that's it. Nothing exciting happening, but nothing bad either.

< ``You look like Two Face'' | package: received >
"So, did you go visit the other woman today?" | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Curses by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:35:25 AM EST
Our tomatoes are still weeks out!

We're just starting to get tomatoes here. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:43:50 AM EST
The problem with mine is that some of them are splitting. I think maybe it's lack of calcium in the soil? Must do more research.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
We've had a few splits too. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:04:21 AM EST
Though on ours they quickly go from split to hardened woody looking stuff protecting the split. Not all of them are doing that though, just a few here and there.

On the big tomatoes, yes. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:21:44 AM EST
We get the woody covering. The cherry tomatoes are a bit more delicate, though, I think. I'm not all that impressed by the quality of the cherry tomatoes, actually. I mean, they're pretty good, but not as flavorful as I'd like. Must look for heirloom varieties next year.
Cherry tomatoes. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:29:49 AM EST
I think I've only ever tasted one that really impressed me. They usually just seem like they don't live up to their full sized brethren. I guess there just isn't enough room in them to store all the yum.

Splitting by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:09:44 AM EST

Usually caused by irregular watering. They get a bit dry, then suck up as much as they can when they're watered and the skin can't keep up with the insides.

We've had, like, 6 inches of rain... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 06:20:22 AM EST
in the past week or so. Preceded by some pretty dry weather. So yeah, water might very well be the problem here.
That would do it by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:46:57 AM EST

Many years ago I had a watering system in my greenhouse that dripped into a small cistern which would then syphon itself empty every few hours. Here the greenhouse is too far away from the house to fit a tap, and I've never got round to thinking up an alternative, and the tomatoes have never been as good.

huh... by 256 (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 10:35:04 AM EST
i'd always read that the ideal way to warm up a new bike was to wheelie the first 500 km.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
But he's got a shaftie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 11:45:08 AM EST
which are incapable of wheelies, and even if he could get the front wheel up, the countertorque due to his shaft would high side him.

The shaft. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 11:55:59 AM EST
This is the first shaft drive I've ever ridden. I wasn't aware there was so much noise from the rear end at low speed on such bikes before. It goes away as you gain speed, but boy those first few feet and last few feet are really noisy.

With all that weight front of the rear wheel, I'm not sure pulling it up wouldn't shatter some part of the drive train long before you had to worry about the countertorque problem. I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't want to be in the same state when it came back down.

You're thinking of sport bikes. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 11:52:53 AM EST
We got a first hand demonstration from someone picking up his freshly rebuilt crotch rocket from the shop and promptly going out on the highway and going zero to eighty in about three seconds when we were picking up the bike. The shop guys kept screaming at him "shift, shift, shift!" It sounded like they've rebuilt that bike a lot since that kid's had it.