Print Story Yesterday was a Nescafe sort of day in more ways than one
By lm (Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 11:49:01 AM EST) (all tags)
In the literal-historical sense, I awoke yesterday morning only to discover that the only coffee in the house was Nescafe™. While it might take someone with an MA in literature to fully explore the analogical sense, the spiritual sense is quite obvious. But neither of those last two will be explored.

Instead, basked in the coolness of conditioned air for bit and then got to work. Yesterday, being Saturday, was housework day and I had more than the usual.

Well, the ended up being more yard work day than house work day. Nevertheless, much work was done and by the end of the day I was quite tired and sore. After spending a couple hours organizing my desk, I spent a good deal of time pulling weeds, then running the string trimmer. I moved a large number of boxes from a corner of our living room into the garage. My youngest daughter and I walked down the the Church building to mow the grass there while my eldest daughter mowed the grass at home. By the return trip, the heat of the day had gone from uncomfortably hot to almost pleasantly warm. After a shower and some dallying around, the walk back for Vespers was very  pleasant, the return stroll even more so.

Something I did, I don't know what, made my arms hurt. I don't know what it was. It wasn't a strain type of hurting, more of an exhausted type of hurting. While walking back from mowing the grass at Church, I stopped at the corner store for Coke. But the time I'd gotten home, the ache in arms had started to dull. Once home for half an hour, it'd almost entirely went away. I killed a bit of time watching pterodactyls eating people on the Sci-Fi channel.

After Vespers, we had a dinner guest that we hadn't had over all by her lonesome in quite some time. It was a nice dinner and a nice visit. After dinner, I took her home, stopped by a convenience store to get my wife and girls some chocolate and stopped by the liquor store to pick up a touch of whiskey. After getting everyone settled into bed, I watched the end of a movie involving sharks eating people and fell asleep watching The Quick and the Dead. I think I managed to stay awake to the point where I started watching it a few months ago. Maybe not. The beginning was interesting. As with most genre movies, the end can be be mostly predicted if you've seen the beginning. But the reverse is not true. The beginning often shrouded in mystery if you've only seen the end.

At some point I woke up and turned the dodo box off and stumbled into bed. I think that was around midnight. I slept very well and woke up feeling energized and ready to seize the day.

Pakistan is still actively aiding terrorists. Why we invaded Iraq is a mystery to me. Okay, not really. I understand why we invaded Iraq. I just don't understand the public rationale for the invasion of Iraq.

Meanwhile, Christians in Egypt continue to get screwed by Islamicists and secularists alike. Why Dobson et al claim Christians in the US are persecuted is a mystery to me. Okay, not really. I understand why they claim Christians in the US are persecuted. I just don't understand why the public continues to believe them.

Life being stalked. I'm glad I don't have any real stalkers.

The GooTube has a trailer for Lake Texarkana.

Berdyaev on the twin errors of ceasaropapism and papocaesarism. Money shot:

Christian theocracy knows only one Tsar -- Christ. And this means, that the theocracies in Christianity represent a false transferal of Jewish Old Testament categories into Christian life. And the result of this is but the justification of a pagan natural kingdom.

From the purely political maneuverings department, Barrack Obama calls for full seating of delegates from Michigan and Florida. I understand why he did this. I just think he's a putz for doing it.

The Dark Knight is the top earner at the box office for a third week The Mummy is a close second place. What a difference being a good film makes. As a Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh fan, I want to see the third installment of The Mummy. I actually even enjoyed the first two. But The Mummy franchise belongs on the Sci Fi channel rather than on the big screen. And Li and Yeoh both deserve better films.

< Manufactured strength. | Один день Александра Солженицына >
Yesterday was a Nescafe sort of day in more ways than one | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
sore arms by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 04:59:16 PM EST
quite possibly the string trimmer. i don't know what kind you have, but i know that when i used to use one on a regular basis my arms got quite tired/achy.
---------
Me, too. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 02:35:12 AM EST
We have a small enough lawn that I "mow" it with a string trimmer. I made the mistake of mowing the meadow lawn before going to play softball on Saturday -- I felt like I could hardly lift the bat. My arms are still a bit sore.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
It could be by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:18:51 AM EST
We've got a small electric doo-jobby with a long cord. I miss the gas powered one that died last year only because it was well balanced.

Cicero, The Republic
usually, unless you get an expensive one by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 02:31:59 PM EST
you have to choose between a comfortable posture for your back, or one for your arms.
---------
How was the mummy? [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:36:10 AM EST

Dunno, haven't seen it by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:41:09 AM EST
I'm just taking for granted that if its in The Mummy franchise, it's a poor film. When it gets around to being released on DVD or shown on basic cable and I get around to watching it, I'll be very disappointed if it isn't a poor film.

Cicero, The Republic
But the first one was very good. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:47:08 AM EST
Sure, the second one was shit, but the second one was basically riding the wave of the first. One would assume that the third movie has to make its own path.

The first one was utter crap by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:48:18 AM EST
I think you're conflating `fun to watch' with `a good movie.'

Cicero, The Republic
So, what you're basically saying by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:00:07 AM EST
Is that you're a movie critic?

not at all by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:07:07 AM EST
I'm simply mature enough to understand that just because I like something doesn't mean its of high quality.

Cicero, The Republic
That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:24:19 AM EST
The Mummy was an incredible success. It had great acting, lots of humor, an air-tight story, and it wasn't one second too short or too long. It was a high quality movie.

You're not alone in liking The Mummy by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:37:44 AM EST
But you're fairly isolated when it comes to thinking that the plot didn't have major holes and that the acting was great.

Cicero, The Republic
Perhaps nostalgia makes the memories grow by debacle (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:59:14 AM EST
Fonder.

There were plot holes, but I don't recall anything major. It really came down to a certain acceptance of a particular instance of the world in which a few circumstances required coincidences that were not unreasonable to believe.