Print Story Beeeeeees!!!!
Help!
By LilFlightTest (Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:02:39 PM EST) (all tags)
Holy crap, BEES! Everywhere!

UPDATE!  yellowjackets, i think. not furry enough for bees.

About 5 minutes ago, I opened the hatch for our basement door, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. However, now my back yard is filled with bees. What have I done?

I can't tell if they're honeybees or wasps, I can't get a good enough look. They don't totally look like bees, they look a little small, but they don't totally look waspish either. it almost looks like a bunch are congregating on the edge of the plastic we use to seal the door. we never even saw flying stinging critters in the yard before now, but...OMG there are a shitload, just flying around. i had to have disturbed something. they're all over the yard, all over the back of the house, so I pretty much just closed the basement door (but not the hatch, it's fucking COVERED IN BEES) and the house door so they can't get in the cracks of the screen, and i think i have to let them buzz it out.

Any other ideas?
< It's about time we had a VPILF candidate | Dragon*Con Photos, part the first >
Beeeeeees!!!! | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
honeybee swarm by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:21:15 PM EST
or ground bees, if it is a swarm, well, google that for what it looks like and call that bee guy from K5 to help out (ie don't kill a swarm)

not furry enough by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:23:07 PM EST
i don't think they're bees.

---------
Over the counter wasp killer by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:50:34 PM EST
once it is evening. They supposedly slow down in the evening.

Just soak the area and run like the wind with someone else soaking behind you.

Tag-team 'em.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
just got some by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 03:15:12 PM EST
we got spray plus a trap for the stragglers.

---------
I can't help, i am allergic to them /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:51:00 PM EST

critters by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 06:46:35 PM EST

Bees are not aggressive, and can only sting once, then they die.

Wasps and yellowjackets are predators and can sting multiple times.

In my climate beehives are much bigger then wasp nests, are we talking a couple of hundred critters or a couple of thousand?

If they're honeybees a beekeeper can capture the queen and install her in a hive, everyone else will follow.

If they're wasps just buy some insecticide and nuke'em, or call an exterminator.

We don't have africanized bees in the frozen north, I don't know anything about them.

wasps by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 06:13:51 AM EST
couple thousand, i think, but their frenzied zooming around may have made it seem like more than there really were. things calmed down at dusk. we now have a trap hung near there, and just observing the area this morning makes me pretty sure i know where the hive is. we will leave it until this evening, and then blast the shit out of them with insecticide once everyone is home and asleep.

---------
Speaking as someone with a hatred of wasps by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 09:35:42 PM EST
The correct response is to panic, and exhibit moderate to severe gibbering.

Advanced students may find wild flailing to be useful.

appropriate level of gibbering by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 06:09:16 AM EST
was used, and based on the quantity of flying things.  it went something like "oh fuck, bees. bees, bees, omg bees."

my first response, though, was classic. i opened the door to discover thousands of flying things....stared for a second...and closed the door.

---------
Agreed by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Aug 31, 2008 at 05:29:28 AM EST
Finally someone else who understands the gibbering!!!

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
wasps = fascism by komet (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 07:54:14 AM EST
I hate wasps and will kill them even if they are not threatening me. Here's what I usually use:
Mix well and fill large cup half full. The beer, coca-cola and fruit attracts the wasps and the washing-up liquid reduces the surface tension so that they can't stand or float on the top. When the first wasp has entered your trap, wait for it to die, fish it out, squash it with a fork or something (don't use your hands) and stand the fork in the cup. The squashed wasp attracts further wasps (hence not using your hands).

At the end of the day I suggest going at the cup with a flame thrower, just to be sure.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Beeeeeees!!!! | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback