Print Story New feature!
HuSi
By hulver (Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 02:16:50 AM EST) (all tags)
Holy feeping creatures batman!

OK.

Finally got around to installing FCKeditor on HuSi. So there's now a Sort of WYSIWYG editor for your comments and stories.

This has a couple of advantages.
  1. You don't have to remember the somewhat obscure Auto format commands.
  2. You can edit stories without having to use raw html.
  3. You can turn it off. (Display Preferences -> Use Fancy Editor)
That's about it really.

I've had to change the way that images are displayed, from using the macro to using a proper IMG tag. You can still only use them in the body, or in comments, but now you just have to click the "Image" icon in the tool bar and you can browse all the files you've uploaded.
I've not finished enabling the file uploads yet, but that should work sooner or later. So for now I've left the "User Files" box in place, so you've got an easy link to upload new files. Inserting a file doesn't work using that box if you're using the editor, so that will go eventually.

Have fun. Let me know if you find any problems.

< The Blinds Never Change | on a year >
New feature! | 52 comments (52 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's pretty cool by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 02:56:23 AM EST
Slows posting down marginally, but only marginally.

Thanks!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

No problems by hulver (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:02:14 AM EST
I'm sure there'll be teething problems along the way. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while.

New features! by blixco (4.00 / 6) #3 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:10:00 AM EST
So...this toolbar thing...can I get an animated paper clip to help me with my mid-life crisis and / or job complaints?

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
-1, too close to home by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:16:09 AM EST
no fucking text for you...i have tomorrow off.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hey by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:48:42 AM EST
I have tomorrow off too!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
be at my place and we'll rock the fuck out! by clock (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:23:20 AM EST
dammit.  i need to get out to austin ASAP.  and we need to cut some originals.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

As much as I wanna, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:49:35 AM EST
I have a whole slew of crap to do. The weekend after, I'll be at an IT Department Goes To The Rifle Range day. Maybe the weekend after that?

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
that is sufficiently far... by clock (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:02:25 AM EST
...in the future for me to have no plans for then as of today (and i'll be corrected directly if i do).  now what we need is a list of tunes.  or we need to write some damned quick.  is 256 around?  does he have some lyrics that don't suck for us?  i have nothing but questions...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I demand by debacle (4.00 / 3) #21 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:55:10 AM EST
Blixco and Clock's Fish Friday Classics Collection

How about this instead? by hulver (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:06:24 AM EST
Auto-smileys!

geez by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:26:34 AM EST
If   abuse  this  misfeature  hard  enough  can  it  be  disabled?

! by hulver (4.00 / 2) #19 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:33:28 AM EST

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
not to be completely negative by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 04:18:02 AM EST
I do like the new way of adding images.

How long does the editor take to load on dialup I wonder?

Fantastic. by Driusan (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:31:53 AM EST

I really like the third advantage of it.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Nice by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 03:48:18 AM EST
Wow. It even has the "larger" separators that make them look like dockable/moveable menus. (Curse the !@#!@ers at MSFT that created that feature, since it makes it too easy to click the wrong pixel and try to re-arrange the menu etc. )

(Comment Deleted) by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:35:28 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by hulver

Annoying images by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:44:09 AM EST
Will be deleted.

Likewise by theboz (4.00 / 4) #16 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:08:55 AM EST
Annoying deletions will be converted into images.

- - - - -
Which leaves unanswered the question by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 12:08:45 PM EST
So how do I get the link thingy to work?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

See my reply to Stacky below by hulver (2.00 / 0) #38 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:28:09 PM EST
That might answer your question.

Trying again by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #49 Mon Sep 01, 2008 at 04:26:07 AM EST
The Atlantic on the Convention

That works.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

this frightens me by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 05:37:53 AM EST
it's a GUI toolbar thingy.  I'm scare of GUIs.  I don't even know what most of those icon thingys mean.

Yes, yes, I can turn it off, but I feel like I should start acting like a big girl and learn to use a GUI.

Ah by hulver (4.00 / 5) #14 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 05:41:16 AM EST
It needs a vi interface option.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
don't tease me by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:58:04 AM EST
my son doesn't need to see me cry and mean it.

I fear it too by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:29:55 AM EST
But I have been randomlypressing buttons to see what it can do .

I like the 'Source' button.

FCK better than TinyMCE? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:54:07 AM EST
We're looking for an editor to use for one of our apps, and TinyMCE is just so full of suck. Is FCK a good option?

Seems to work OK. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 06:56:52 AM EST
From what I can see you can't change the output very much, but the tool bar's very configurable.

Looks like writing plugins is fairly straight forward as well.

I've added it to scoop without changing a line of scoop code, just straight JavaScript.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
FCK is not full of suck by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 08:46:47 AM EST
It's full of fuck.

Oh man I just love how it messes up tab-key cycling.  Forward works okay but backwards is just broken.

busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution
damn by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:23:36 PM EST
forward tab is broken for me as well.

Click
That is annoying. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:25:02 PM EST
It's pretty sucky in that regard.

yes by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 01:12:13 PM EST
The best reason is that FCK has a file browser built in, and it works easily.

Click
We're also looking for a developer by debacle (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 02:49:47 PM EST
IYKWIM.

I have by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 04:23:07 PM EST
in the past done some FCK to mySQL db insertions via PHP

Click
Oh you dirty boy. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #44 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 04:37:52 AM EST
Seriously though, wtf?

I do what I am told. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #46 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:59:21 PM EST
Such is life.

Click
What does that mean? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #47 Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 06:07:31 AM EST
I don't believe we are communicating on the same wavelength.

I'm on 9 Ghz by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #48 Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 02:29:59 PM EST
how about you?

Click
Doesn't work with my Linux by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 07:55:30 AM EST
It's my fault for using Konqueror, though.

I'm reminded of the story edit bug/exploit, has there been any progress on that?

Chill out, snowflake.

Nope by hulver (4.00 / 1) #40 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:29:57 PM EST
This was a quicky to install that didn't need any scoop code changes.

The story edit bug is a nightmare of twisty intermingled sucky code that sucks.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
It's not enough! It's too much! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 07:59:04 AM EST
 But, but, I still haven't figured out how to do the damn spoiler tag thing.

Look! it's a broken heart emoticon!

By the way, I got an error on posting. There was (in the right kind of brackets) br type="_moz" /, which gave an error saying Attribute TYPE for tag BR is not allowed.  It was also a minor pain to post this, because some of the formatting came with the cut and paste. I got around it with the plain text paste, but wasn't expecting to have to.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Pasting by hulver (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:27:19 PM EST
Yes pasting from formatted sources is a bit of a pain. Scoop is currently set up to be very restrictive about what html it will accept. I'm going to have to go through and add exceptions to allow through stuff that doesn't matter.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
So does this mean we can't disable images anymore? by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 08:36:33 AM EST
<n/t>

For now by hulver (4.00 / 1) #39 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:28:40 PM EST
Yes. I'm working on it though.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
This is a test by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 11:15:10 AM EST
I tried to do a link in another comment, and it didn't work, so I'll try it here www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1

How do we embed links now? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 11:16:23 AM EST
The link button just puts it there (as seen in the comment above).  How do we do links like we used to wtih the brackets??

Yes, that's a bit retarded. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 10:23:50 PM EST
You highlight the text you want to be a link, before you click the link button. So, just pressing link gives me www.hulver.com
Whereas typing in some text, and highlighting it before clicking the link button give me a link.

help files by ana (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 02:12:53 AM EST
Can we add this kind of tip to the help wiki?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Of course by hulver (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 03:49:10 AM EST
Best place to put it really.

So, uh... by ana (2.00 / 0) #52 Wed Sep 10, 2008 at 03:30:41 AM EST
Who's going to add this to the wiki then? Is there a set of docs for this editor thingie we can link to?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

thank you! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 08:20:54 AM EST
now I can link away!

The first time by ana (2.00 / 0) #50 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 09:59:27 AM EST
i poke the apostrophe key when I'<---(did it right there)m typing a message, firefox on my solaris box goes into text search mode. Seems to work just fine after that, though, I'm pretty sure.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I wonder by ana (2.00 / 0) #51 Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 10:58:34 AM EST
if it works's's's on the mac. Well, the bug doesn't present, using firefox 3.0 on MacOS 10.4.

But it does, using firefox 2.0.0.16 on Solaris 8.8 ( == SunOS 5.8, I think; that's what uname -a tells me at least).

Hope this helps.