Print Story Bike fun
Cycling
By hulver (Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 07:37:42 AM EST) (all tags)
Wobbly bits all gone.

Unfortunately not my wobbly bits, but bits on the bike.

I got off my bike after riding home from work and was giving the chain a quite wipe when I noticed that the back wheel seemed a bit off. There was a lot of play in it. The wheel was wobbling around on the axle. A lot.

So, one free weekend I decided to fix it. Looks like the lock nuts around the cones had come loose and the cones had loosened off.

I took the back wheel off and examined the axle, I could tighten up the cones by hand. Not good.

So, I undid the lock nut and cones at one side, and making sure I could catch any bearing pulled the axle out.

After getting all the bearings out and taking the cones off I drenched them in de-greaser and gave everything a good clean, inside and out.

The bearing were scored, and so was the cone on one side. I needed to replace the lot.

A quick trip to the bike shop and I had a new axle (he didn't have any cones on their own) and a bag 'o' bearings.

One thing. If you're ever doing this, don't be an idiot like me and not make a note of where abouts on the axle the cones are located. I'd made sure that I'd got the right spacings between the nuts etc, but I'd not made a note of how far on the axle the cones where. The new cones where a different size as well, so I needed different spacings. This made putting everything back together an interesting job.

I did eventually get everything back together again, on the second attempt anyway. First time I tried I was out by about 15mm, which put the bottom gear too close to the frame.

It's now running like a champ, and actually seems to be running easier than before. I'm finding getting up hills a breeze.

Perhaps they were overdue for a service. I've done 700 miles on that bike now, and I'd done nothing to the wheels at all.

My next job will be simpler, changing the tyre on the back wheel that's getting a bit worn.

Overall I surprised myself with how straight forward it was.

< Finally got internets at home working again | trip planning update >
Bike fun | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Most wheels are low maintenance by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 08:02:18 AM EST
The set of Mavic Ksyriums on my road bike have ~15,000 miles on them over the past 5 years and they've never been touched.  That said, the freewheel is a bit sticky and will get looked at this winter.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I should think by hulver (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 10:34:08 PM EST
That they'll need a re-grease if nothing else.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Good man by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 12:53:40 PM EST
my bike's had a rear wheel wobble for far too long but will I ever get around to fixing it? hmmm... let's see.... But it's always interesting to fiddle around with stuff like that and learn something new. I'm sure your bike is happier now.

Where the hell have you been? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 02:51:27 PM EST
Hey... by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 12:14:17 PM EST
... to all three who replied - I've been around... reading some diaries occasionally, just not posted much. It hadn't occurred that this is my first post of the year. I'm doing well thanks, have recently been thinking about posting a diary entry some time. I guess there's quite a lot of new stuff to write about by now. :-)

Whoah, this new editing stuff is very cool.

Whoa. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 02:55:03 PM EST
Now I'm hungry for Chinese.

What ad hoc said. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 04:16:42 PM EST
Heh. My used auto-fill for my topic. I hope you're doing well!
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
if you'd see my rear tire. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 05:48:32 PM EST
I need to get it tuned or something.

Click
Quite a tricky job by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 11:38:56 PM EST
I just replace the wheels on mine if there's a problem with them, it's an old racer so they only cost £25.

I have taken apart the axle between the pedals before though. How I laughed when it sprang open and tiny ball bearings bounced all over the garden.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Bike fun | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback