Print Story We escaped
By LilFlightTest (Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 06:24:25 AM EST) (all tags)
the evil clutches of California.

just outside of Vegas the oil light flickered. the car kept running, but we pulled over and checked the oil level. low. we added a bit, then looked at the oil filter...leaking. they had to take it off to get at the broken part, and apparently they messed up the gasket when putting it back. we topped off the oil and then drove to the nearest oil change place. $30 later and no more leak....but about 20 mins later the oil light flickered again. we topped it off and it hasn't happened again, so we suspect they didn't put enough back in at the oil change place. we stopped at a wal-mart and bought a case, so we'll be okay even if it happens again.

time to go get breakfast. we stopped at a relatively new hotel about an hour into Utah, and it's really nice. first hotel i've ever been in wth a flatscreen tv.

< Time. | ATTN: CLEVELAND INFIDELS >
We escaped | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ahhhh. A case of oil in the trunk. Good times. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 06:49:44 AM EST
I spent all my college years in essentially the same situation as you have. My old '68 Dodge Dart when through a quart of oil for every quarter tank of gas. It made the 11 hour drive to the parents a real thrill.

Good luck kids. At least nowadays y'all can call for help on the Internets.

I express doubt by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 06:54:44 AM EST
the slant six was supposed to be indestructible, immune to loss of oil, .50 bullets and bulldozers.

My slant six was all of those things. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:21:35 AM EST
All the oil it lost? Went out the tail pipe. What the poor beast really needed was to be bored out and have over sized pistons installed. But I was too busy selling old class books for liquor to worry about doing that.

It was still running fine when I sold it in '84.

You couldn't find some copper wire by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:22:21 AM EST
ala The Grapes of Wrath?

Heh - a 2 stroke [n/t] by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 06:54:54 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I think that's what Mrs Rat drove him to by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 09:11:05 AM EST
n/t.

we're hoping by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:11:43 AM EST
that we didn't blow the head gasket.
---------
If you can't make it back to Cheese Land by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:24:29 AM EST
I've got a good mechanic here, and plenty of floor space -- actually we have beds now with most of the kids back in college...

Is is one that should have been recalled? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Aug 23, 2008 at 04:23:03 AM EST
I managed to get a Breeze to 80,000 miles. Supposedly, the replacements are good and shouldn't blow again. I apparently blew mine twice: the first mixed oil in the radiator, the second leaked both into the cylinders. It would have cost half as much if I had it fixed the first time, but a mechanic convinced me it hadn't blown.

Wumpus

nope by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Aug 23, 2008 at 07:40:26 PM EST
she's got 186k on her, and wasn't one of the ones with that issue. it's just that if you peg the temp, things happen.
---------
Horray for escaping by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:01:12 AM EST
Good luck on your trip back, $airplane_mechanic's return has got delayed another month. :( Someday I'll fly an airplane out there!

yay! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 07:10:43 AM EST
in the future, we'll be taking airplanes to visit you, too.
---------
Go Team! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 12:16:14 PM EST
NT

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
We escaped | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback