Print Story It's official
Cheese
By jimgon (Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 01:03:07 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm burnt out on politics.  I wasn't sure it could happen, but it has.

I'm hitting the point where I just want to vote and get on with my life.  This presidential campaign season has gone on for way too long.  Really, at this point I just want to cast my vote and then watch the carnage as the empire continues  to  crumble and the barbarians take their spoils.  I've given money, I've given time, and really I  just want to  give my gods-damned vote.  Is it too much  to ask?

I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, but I have to lead a conference call tomorrow afternoon.  Hurray for me.

So yeah, I took this  week  off.  We went to Maine for a long weekend.  God I hate vacations, even long weekends.  Don't get me wrong, I hate work more, but I hate vacations.  I find the traveling to be overly stressful between packing and the actual travel involved.  Then I get to a location and have to spend several days  in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable environment.  I don't sleep well if at all, and I get more and more tired as the time goes on.  On top of that  I hate wasting money on expensive eatting-out.  I'm just  not  a vacation type of person.  I spent a lot of money buying this  house and mowing this lawn only to leave it  all behind and go somewhere else when I have more than just two hours a day to enjoy it.

I  did get to go to York's Wild Kingdom.  They advertised like mad on Boston tv back when I was a kid, and I always wanted to go.   Being a poor kid going to the zoo wasn't something we did, especially going to a zoo two and half hours  away from home.  So I finally got to go.

The other commercial  that got run a lot was for Mr Big's Toyland. Unfortunately it's too late for me to go there.

< Manifesto for the Sensible Snail Party | Waterloo station .... >
It's official | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I am so sick of the hype for the upcoming election by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 01:40:18 PM EST
that I'm super excited to go see GWAR in October. They're going on the Electile Dysfunction tour and apparently the audience gets to watch all the candidates fight in a ring and kill eachother. Now that is entertainment.

Funny, I just got a house and I'm going to Maine soon too. I go for the fishing and the restaurant food. I'm going out on the Bunny Clark from Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. Then I'm gonna get back to land and stuff myself with surf n turf. Ooo yeah. Bring it on.

That's what GWAR's doing? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 03:59:26 AM EST
I may have to actually buy a ticket now.

My campaign burnout has been with me a while, but reached a new peak this morning when the news did "profiles" on the potential VP candidates for Barrack. First off, who cares? Second off, wait two days and you'll know and can stop speculating. Third off, fuck off already and give me my ballot.

Cape Cod is better by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:07:24 AM EST
A lot of people from town go to Maine, but now that I've been I have to say Cape Cod is better for an all around visit.  Not that I really like  Cape Cod, but it is better from my point of view.

---------------
Yeah, I'm off tomorrow by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 02:15:17 AM EST
I'd like to do nothing, we'll see.

Today by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:08:38 AM EST
Is my birthday, number 37, and my daughter's birthday, number 12.

What am I doing to celebrate?  Mortaring some loose bricks on my foundation.

---------------

Happy birthday by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #8 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:10:34 AM EST
let loose with some weeding, too.

McCain's going to win by debacle (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 04:58:00 AM EST
Might as well just swear him in now.

It's insane, isn't it? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 05:17:35 AM EST
McCain is useless, but the more Obama talks, the less people like him.

During the primary season I had high hopes for him, but he's turning out to be just another Democrat - a machine politician who panders to one group after another during the primaries, then throw them to the wolves in order to appear more moderate.

The only thing holding him up right now is the fact that, like I said, McCain is useless.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

i'm sick of politics too by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 11:25:10 AM EST
it's another election where i wish i had better choices. at least Obama doesn't scare me, though i can't say exactly why McCain does.
---------
He's most likely to bring about thermo-nuclear by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 11:53:48 AM EST
winter?

He's the anti-christ?

He makes extremely scary statements as if he were ordering a hamburger?

yes! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 01:39:56 PM EST
all of those things!
---------
You may be right by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:14:08 AM EST
A year ago I wouldn't hear of it.  Ultimately the Democrats are their own worst enemy.  At some point someone will figure  out that you can be strong on domestic politics and strong on defense.   They don't have to be mutually exclusive, and you don't have to be a Fascist to do it.  The thought of a McCain presidency does give me an upset stomach.  Who is the real John McCain? The guy from  2000 or the guy from 2008?  I don't know.  I  just  know that since he's been both and I don't know who he is, I don't feel that he can be trusted.  Just his comment that the Supreme Court deciding to support Habeas Corpus was a bad ruling makes  me jittery.

---------------
Obama's problem by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 07:27:43 AM EST
Is that he's listening to his advisors, I think. Initially, his non-strategy was his biggest asset. As he develops a "strategy" for himself, he's being strangled by it.

He reminded me of Massachusetts' Governor by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 11:15:03 AM EST
They had similar campaigns in the beginning.  Stay above the fray and focus on positives.  Focus on hope which most people have forgotten.  Get government down to the basics of taking care of people.  In Massachusetts Deval Patrick managed to keep it above level even when his opponent went negative.

---------------
at this point by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 11:25:48 AM EST
i'd gladly trade my vacation for yours.
---------
Now I'm home by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 03:49:39 PM EST
We got back yesterday.  Today I had to fix some  bricks on my foundation which had the mortar washed out.

---------------
i'll still trade. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 04:06:34 PM EST
i'll fix bricks if you'll sit in the desert and wait for my car.
---------
I think I'll pass by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Aug 21, 2008 at 04:44:03 AM EST
I hear the desert is prettty, but I like trees and grass.

---------------