Print Story 2008 Academy Award Best Picture Nominee Showdown Cont'd
Films
By riceowlguy (Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 05:29:22 AM EST) (all tags)
This weekend: Juno and There Will Be Blood.

In between laundry and cleaning and being on call for work almost all weekend (including multiple forays into the office) I managed to squeeze a couple more movies from the last Oscars' best picture category into my schedule.  I was glad to have my friend Sarah over for dinner and be able to watch Juno with her; it's less the kind of movie that I'd tend to watch on my own, for whatever reason.  (On a side note, there was a recent episode of This American Life titled "What I Learned From Television" where a hipster who never watches any television, and is forced to watch TV for his job, says that he realized that the reason he didn't watch a lot of television is that it would feed like a lame substitute for having friends.  I feel very much the same.)  Anyway, I liked Juno a lot.  If only I had had Hollywood screenwriters to write my witty banter with my friends back in high school...

There Will Be Blood was a lot like No Country For Old Men.  A really gripping story, great acting, well written and directed, but it left you feeling pretty jumpy.  I guess this one was a little bit better resolved.  Oh, and I LOVED the music.  Modern string orchestra and string quartet stuff mostly, it just really made things come alive.

I finally decided to test whether or not I could get over-the-air digital television with my new TV and hey presto, I can.  So now I get better looking content with free broadcast than I get with my expensive cable.  Cable, you are so canceled.  I should have done it about three years ago when I stopped watching much TV, but hey, better late than never.  Anyway, I watched me some high-def Olympics coverage last night.  Go USA women's 8-person scull team!

< Time to legal - 5 days. | YEearheargh >
2008 Academy Award Best Picture Nominee Showdown Cont'd | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The music by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 06:07:33 AM EST
in There Will Be Blood was fan-fugu-tastic. Really made the film. I can't not rave about that flick, but the music really allowed some of the quieter passages to occur effectively.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Cable-less life by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 08:09:05 AM EST
Using the digital tuner has been awesome!  We still have our crappy old analog TV, but the digital tuner (from the gub'ment cheese tuner coupon program) makes it great.

Welcome to the club by theboz (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 08:34:04 AM EST
We have been cable free for years now and it's great.  Unfortunately though, NBC is really improving upon free TV's shows, so it looks like we may end up spending a lot of time in front of the TV once Heroes, The Office, Chuck, etc. comes back on.
- - - - -
All about the music by buttercup (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 08:45:05 AM EST
The soundtrack to There Will Be Blood was written by Jonny Greenwood, the guitarist of Radiohead.

"Too slow, Chicken Merengo!" — Cat
Hmmm by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:20:59 PM EST
Stupidly, now I like it a little less.

uhhhh by buttercup (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 07:00:28 AM EST
I'm sorry?

"Too slow, Chicken Merengo!" — Cat
Hmm. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 11:27:13 AM EST
I was glad to have my friend Sarah over dinner . . .
There are so many possible meanings for that phrase I'm not sure exactly WHICH joke to make about it.

Juno was actually watchable? Huh. Usually something that looks that crappy AND gets huge props for it is barely something I can stand watching the previews for, let alone sitting through the entire film. Maybe I should Netflix it afterall.

Ooooops by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:25:44 PM EST

Make the joke about poor grammar or low attention to detail.  I've already edited the story to have the correct (pedestrian) meaning.

I wouldn't let my opinion about Juno change your mind about avoiding it if it didn't look like something you'd like.  I have strange taste.  Also, while I enjoyed watching it it's probably not something I'd go out of my way to see again (unlike There Will Be Blood).