Print Story Whatevs.
Family
By gzt (Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:36:42 AM EST) gzt, roommating infidel, car, milwaukee (all tags)
So, in the end, I didn't deliver what they wanted, but they're fine with that (at least, I declare them so) and I'm gravy and I went and got coffee. I'm going to a potluck tonight, different set of hosts, so I haven't been completely blacklisted from the potluck circuit, it seems, even if I estimate that I am still persona au gratin with that one circle.

I'm sore all over because I didn't feel like running yesterday and instead played around with a medicine ball. Those things can be friggin' intense. I was going to run before work in the morning today, but oblomovshchina prevented me from getting up in time. I was going to run after work, but I got a call about an emergency potluck while at lunch and I'm leaving directly from work. Potlucks: I take them seriously. I am, after all, from the Middle West.

I haven't touched my coffee yet. I went to get coffee to escape running into people going to the meeting where my failure to produce would relevant, but only succeeded in running into those people on the way to get coffee. I don't care: I'm meditating on the potluck. I take this kind of thing very seriously.

Okay, I let my coffee cool, and now I'm drinking it. I'm love with the modern moonlight.

I check on mapmyrun.com. I was apparently planning on running 3.58 miles when I got home. When I get home, it'll be dark, so I guess it's the medicine ball again. Unless I'm back from the potluck too late.

The beaches close on September 1st. I guess from then on any swimming will be illegal. Drat. Short season for me. The water is "warm" until October (it's never really warm, it's a big lake and there are occasional inversions, bringing the cool deep-lake water to the surface).

I'm going to Milwaukee for an interview next week and I asked a buddy about borrowing his car, and he said, "You know what, I don't loan out the car (which is certainly fair and what I expected), but I've never been to Milwaukee and I have a new camera that I want to try out, I'm down for driving up there, dropping you off at the interview, and then seeing the sites of Milwaukee and taking pictures while you're in your all-day interview if you pick up gas, meals, etc." And I was like, sweet, whatever. I could've probably rented a car and had it reimbursed, but this also works. If I'd really thought ahead, would've gone the night before and caught a baseball game.

Remember my diaries about the "roommating infidel" from a couple years back? I might be buying a car from him in the near future. Checking it out Thursday. It doesn't look like it's covered with goo. He's a great fellow, it just doesn't work to share a kitchen with him - though that one summer worked out.

< Seriously, | WTF Au male swimming >
Whatevs. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Did you invite German girl to potluck? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:38:54 AM EST
She might appreciate the cultural experience. She probably won't pass out drunk, either.

I got invited along by some girl by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:43:17 AM EST
That same girl. She's pretty "into" the potluck scene, it gets pretty hardcore here in the city. You have to have an "in". I don't know if I'm cut out for it, but it's certainly expanding my horizons. I did the potluck thing a bit when I was in high school, but that was a lot smaller town and I was a lot younger. These city folks, I don't know if I can keep up.

Can you bring a dolly? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:49:30 AM EST
so you can get her home?

You should also start working on some killer recipes, my wife makes a great scalloped potatoes, I do a really good satay, too. Up the ante so you get invited back.

I can cook rather well. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:54:33 AM EST
Just not when I'm coming directly from work or have half an hour's notice beforehand, which seems to be the way my invites to these things come. I have to get by with my wits.

At least this time I'll have my camera.

Don't you have a break room? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:56:09 AM EST
Using a microwave to cook is tricky, but sometimes it's the only way.

Yes! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 12:00:06 PM EST
In fact, we have restaurant-grade microwaves in the break room and a world-class grocery store (Fox and Obel's) just a couple blocks away. Hmm...

This whole potluck thing by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 03:39:17 AM EST
Just sounds hilarious from an outsider's perspective.

Care for a lychee jellie? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:46:42 AM EST
No, that's not an euphemism.

Also, don't let The Man dictate when and where you can swim, you flamer.

Whatevs. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback