Print Story Seriously,
By nightflameblue (Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 05:20:39 AM EST) (all tags)

It's just too bad that somebody, at some point, will get carried away and end up with something bouncing back and "hurting" them by scratching them a little bit and then the place will be sued out of existence. And likely before I ever get a chance to get there.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong, and it becomes a franchise with stores across the country so that I might visit them once a week and rage it to my iPod playing Dethklok, Overkill and Slayer. They're pre-wired yo!

< 4th year photo thesis ramblings | Whatevs. >
Seriously, | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hmmm by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 05:58:33 AM EST
Kind of like a Greek restaurant without the food or booze?

THAT'S what's missing. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:02:13 AM EST
Booze. Who needs food when you get to throw things and smash them? They even have smashable flowers!

And when you've done by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:18:42 AM EST
With that fifth of whiskey, smash it!

I bet they make you sign a disclaimer 10 miles long before they let you start...

Probably. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:25:25 AM EST
But who'd NOT sign for a chance to smash stuff and not get into trouble for it?

Oh yeah. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:37:44 AM EST
You'd probably want to take a bit more cash than you think you'd need, for sure.

My thinking, based on the menu. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 07:17:50 AM EST
They give you too much time and too little stuff. Who needs twenty minutes to smash twenty plates? I could rip through twenty in about thirty seconds on a bad day. However, they do have the option of bringing your own stuff to smash for a very small fee and an approval process. So, while they won't let you smash your coworker, they might let you smash his calculator.

i'm pretty sure by rhooke (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:04:39 AM EST
they've had these in japan for some time now.

or,

I'm entirely sure that someone told me that they had these in Japan some time ago.

Those whacky Japanese. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 06:15:01 AM EST
Always getting a leg up on innovation in entertainment.

It is different by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 10:54:17 AM EST
In Japan, you pay to have a woman in a lime-green school-girl outfit do it for you.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I was going to say by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 07:21:11 AM EST

Surely people aren't stupid enough to pay someone else to do something they can do anywhere, for free, any time they want, then I remembered: there is no lower limit. If breaking stuff for free at home is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

I have more insight into your apartment renting by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #10 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 07:23:51 AM EST
problems.

You forgot rule one. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 07:28:33 AM EST
1. Deny, deny, deny.

Of course, rule 2 is "Check rule 1."

Well by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 09:42:15 AM EST
This place does have a couple of advantages, namely:
  • You presumably don't have to worry about cleaning up the mess
  • You don't have to worry about either going out and purchasing something (and transporting it home) specifically for the purposes of breaking it, or replacing things you already have at home you break.

I live alone by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 10:53:29 AM EST

So, really, I don't have to worry about cleaning up the mess there, either, but mainly I wanted to say that I generally find smashing things that have annoyed me to be more gratifying than smashing things that I bought specifically to smash. Compare and contrast the thrill of taking a sledgehammer to that old Blackberry 7290, vs., say, taking that same sledgehammer to a vase I bought at Osh, simply to destroy. I think it is that those things that have annoyed have earned the privilege of being destroyed, where new stuff is just new stuff; destroying it provides no attached emotional relief.

As well, if one doesn't want to destroy one's own things, there is always the Neighbor's Stuff Option. Or former boss. Either/or.

You are allowed to bring your own stuff to smash. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:13:11 AM EST
Which I definitely would. And not have to deal with the cleanup. Sorry, even if I lived alone I don't like mess enough to be able to just leave it after I smashed it.

That's why Baby Jebus invented by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:16:32 AM EST

"Work". I do most of my smashing there, since it ends up being someone else's job to clean up the mess.

That gets boring after a while though. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:35:10 AM EST
I mean, you can only put your foot through so many computer cases before you get tired of going to the emergency room for stitches.

Though I gotta be honest, I'm still not tired of breaking down that door to our old server room.

My phone? by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 03:15:10 PM EST
Yeah, it's part of the floor now. Alarm clock too.

Sorry I'm late, but it probably will happen again, and for the same reasons.

Chill out, snowflake.

Huh by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:01:40 AM EST
See, your problem occurs around "Surely people aren't stupid enough..."

By the way...I am sure that Donut Wheel appreciates your loyalty, but next time you may want to use weapons that cause less collateral damage when taking out the corporate spies.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yes, I am aware of this. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:12:37 AM EST

As is indicated by the sentence following it.

As for collateral damage, I assume you're speaking in reference to that "fire"; I assure you, there was no fire. There was no welding on top of the building, and emergency personnel were not dispatched. But if there was a fire, and there were "innocents" "accidentally" taken out during the course of my duties, I am happy to report that cleaning up that mess would fall under the responsibilities of janitorial engineering, so, NO MESS, NO FOUL!

Sorry, what? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:14:20 AM EST
I didn't get that...it'd break my "only read the first line or two before responding" rule.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Scratch 'following sentence', substitute by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:15:54 AM EST

"latter portion of that sentence", where I remembered there is no lower limit to human stupidity.

I applaud your reaction time, though, even if context is collateral damage as a result.

Thank you by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:30:53 AM EST
I'd rather be first than right.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
At the gym one day by johnny (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 09:34:07 AM EST
I saw a fellow in buff shape, about 50 years old. He was wearing a T shirt that said, "UNITED STATES MARINES. WHEN IT ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HAS TO BE DESTROYED BY TOMORROW"

The Marines probably have more fun blowing shit up than Sarah's patrons do, but on the other hand, Smash Shack customers don't have to sign their life away for several years and have people shooting at them all the time.
Buy my books, dammit!

We had that at the county fair by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 01:06:16 PM EST
back in the midwest. Buy a ticket, you can smash a Japanese car with a sledgehammer.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
The car smash raffles. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 04:25:29 PM EST
Those are kinda iffy to me since they started back when you could just drive a car away after a full day of sledge hammer hits from drunk guys. Slightly more impressive now that it actually causes damage, but still not as satisfying as taking something small and shattering it with a toss.

Attention webwench infidel by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 01:13:15 PM EST
A long time ago (1995ish?) there was something on TV about "the Bullet Shop" in the Atlanta area. Bring the thing that annoys you, buy some bullets, and blow it away. The real draw was due to the local laws, it was one of the few places you could set up a shop to buy a lot of bullets and use a machine gun on your object of angst.

Wumpus

If only by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 03:11:24 PM EST
human trade were legal, eh?

Chill out, snowflake.