Print Story Who the #### thought THAT was a good idea?
By duxup (Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37:48 PM EST) (all tags)
Topics:

Dumbass wars aren't just the domain of America
The Olympics
Local Right Wing stuff
Your typical Fox News YouTube clip
Drugs and sports
A very weird video about eggs
Homeland security

Georgia (the country, not the delta hub and coca cola plant)

Dear Georgia,

WTF were you thinking?

I don't like the Russian state much either, and I know that that territory was within your borders.  Still WTF?

Outcome A:

Step 1:  Attack massive nation occupying land to the north and crush occupying forces.

Step 2:  Russia is disappointed but forgets it ever happened after a night of drinking.

Outcome B:

Step 1:  Attack massive nation nation occupying land to the north.

Step 2:  Massive nation's forces flees and is ok with looking like total wusses.

Now for all the apologists out there, I don't like Russian actions either, and I recognize that is within Georgia's border.  Still that's no excuse for American level idiotic use of military power when you are facing superior military power.  WTF Georgia!?!?

Oh Gord The Welfare

So the local Republicans in our state have decided to raise a "red flag" over welfare spending.  Apparently $10 million welfareish dollars were spent OUT OF STATE.   Most shocking of all some was spent in as far away places as Hawaii.  Big to do in the papers and so on.

O   -     M      -     G!

Now let's check some facts.  None of the items actually spent on was illegal (unless someone was defrauding the system and faking what was bought).  $10 million is about %2 of all the state welfare spending.  The vast majority of the spending was in neighboring states.

So they want an investigation. -sigh-  I was reminded of the Simpsons episode with the "OUT OF STATE" commericals...

I'd like to know exactly how much was actually spent in Hawaii.

News

I'm glad to see us focusing on what is important these days.  I don't know Bonnie Erbe much and for all I know she's one of the usual right wing echoing chambers Fox puts on TV but I'll give her credit for trying to steer the conversation in a sensible direction.

Intervention Sports and Drugs

I was watching part of a TV show called Intervention where a drug user is profiled along with their family and an intervention takes place.  The show I was watching was about a dude who was a former world class cyclist.   Apparently he had been doing drugs since he was very young and straight on thru to doate.   He's not a very nice dude when drinking it up and high and that got him kicked off Lance Armstrong's team after cycling with them for a few years....

Wait a minute?  What kind of drug testing is there if this guy has regularly been on a plethora of drugs for an insane amount of time by his own account, and what gets him kicked off a cycling team is that he gets in a fight with some teammates?

Not trying to taint any other cyclits or anything, that just struck me when I saw that part of the show.

Eggs: What the...

T. Boone Pickens

I don't know who this T. Boone Pickens guy is beyond his commercials on TV.  For all I know he will show up on Dateline NBC's "lets find a way to display hot underage text chat and find out who else likes it".   All that aside, the dude has the prefect mannerisms and accent to be president.  People in this country love that stuff.   If only they could bottle that.

Homeland Security

So we had this bridge collapse here in MN a while back.  Someone who was supposed to be an emergency manager from the department of transportation here was on a business trip in Washington.   She didn't come back to help manage the emergency for two weeks.  A closer look revealed lots of questionable travel and use of funds.  She was fired.   As a sate employee that's not easy to do and she even lost her appeal to get some compensation for being fired.

So naturally The Department of Homeland Security hired her.

The HD Olympics

I don't usually enjoy the Olympics, I just don't.  So far this year they're not so bad.  Thoughts:

Opening Ceremony

Way cool, except for the NBC guys who would not shut up.  I liked when they were blurting out nation facts, but otherwise they kept talking like it was some conversation between themselves seeming to ask for validation and such on... facts.  The ceremony itself was way cool.   It would have been neat to be there.... at the same time I was glad I was on my soft couch.

Games

Hells yay I can watch actual games!  The reason I hated past Olympics was this NBC over dramatic bull### presentation as if it was live, skipping chunks of an event... when it often IS NOT live and they just want to show you swimming and gymnastics and stuff.  I want to see crap I can't usually see.

Thank goodness NBC put a bunch of stuff on the net LIVE.  This week I was at work early in the morning and I've watched:

Badminton
Handball - Awesome match between Greece (I think) and Egypt.
Fencing
Field Hockey
Not gymnastics
Some insane horse thing where the dude trots around slowly and does NOTHING.

It is just the event streamed live with no commentary, some commentary would be nice but I'm happy to see the event.  They did have some cool tutorial videos so you could watch those and get more of a clue.

Bleeding Heart Olympics

I want to see a story about an olympic athlete who is some rich asshole who just sort of slid into an event after the rightful athlete was hit by his drunk borther's car or soemthing.   A man can only take so many of these stories.  Pertuciularly when you know the likelyhood of them being true diminishes with the number of them you see.  Locally they kept playing this report about some good old Iowan girl from West Des Moines.  Heartwarming story about the young girl next door from the heartland going to China to represent her country.   Except that she pronounced the name of her town wrong, several times.  Soemthing nobody who actually lived there for long would do, but I guess a story about a girl from the heartland sent to some sort of gymnastic training camp for years isn't all that exciting of a story to tell.

I like to think the editor was sitting there with the producer editing the story:

Hey she pronounced the name of that town wrong... should we edit that out.

#### it, i'm tired of these stories.

< A day in the life of a Republican arts grad student | Shoulder >
Who the #### thought THAT was a good idea? | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You seem to be forgetting Outcome C by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 12:44:53 PM EST
Step 1: Do nothing.

Step 2: Massive nation uses salami tactics to occupy you slice by slice until your small nation ceases to exist.

So speed it up? by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:08:39 PM EST
n/t
____
Possibly by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:14:35 PM EST
Some might think that if you're doomed anyway, it's better to go out fighting.

Or, given that you've got the only non-massive-nation-controlled oil pipeline, take a gamble on your allies giving you some support or applying some pressure.

Hard to imagine a good reason by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:20:27 PM EST
I can't imagine Georgia really thought they may as well just end what independence they have.

Maybe they thought they'd get backing from the west, but damn if they had just asked, hell the answer should have been obvious even without asking.

Western Nations: Yeah we'd rather avoid a massive military conflict between nuclear armed nations right now, thanks.

I just don't get the thinking.
____

Thanks TPhE by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:32:00 PM EST
Been out of the country for a few days and I have been hunting in the news for a decent casus belli beyond a bit of opportunistic sabre rattling from Russia.

Can you help me with links, please?

Linkdump by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 08:10:04 PM EST
Link Link Link Link Link Link.
TYVM by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 01:49:19 AM EST
Newsletter, subscribe, etc.

Having read all those links by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 02:39:26 AM EST
It's pretty depressing reading.

Doomed anyway? by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 04:16:52 PM EST
I can't say I'm really educated on the topic but from the news reports I've read it looks like the Georgian government is the one that violated the treaty.

Maybe I'm naive, but perhaps waiting another year or so to get into NATO or petitioning for UN peacekeepers to replace the Russians on the ground would have been better choices.

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 08:22:22 PM EST
But the Russia leadership has strong incentives to take over Georgia: they don't like the "colour revolutions", fear being encircled by NATO, don't like the friendliness to America. And they really don't like the existence of an oil pipeline outside their control, given their policy of shutting off oil if you don't do what they say.

They'd already been rejected by NATO, and I can't really see them getting accepted against Russia's wishes. NATO membership would mean NATO is automatically at war against Russia if they touch Georgia, which nobody wants. It's more practical to keep Georgia as a buffer state.

Georgia was delayed, not rejected by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 01:10:35 AM EST
From http://www.nato.int/docu/pr/2008/p08-049e.html

NATO welcomes Ukraine’s and Georgia’s Euro-Atlantic aspirations for membership in NATO.  We agreed today that these countries will become members of NATO.  Both nations have made valuable contributions to Alliance operations.  We welcome the democratic reforms in Ukraine and Georgia and look forward to free and fair parliamentary elections in Georgia in May.  MAP is the next step for Ukraine and Georgia on their direct way to membership.  Today we make clear that we support these countries’ applications for MAP.

It is true that NATO declined to give Georgia a plan for what they need to do to get on board this past winter. But it is also clear that they had been intending to do eventually.

Cicero, The Republic
Figleaf [nt] by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 08:17:47 AM EST

Fairly inevitable by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 12:56:17 PM EST

Ever since Kosovo. Quick search and replace with Georgia, South Ossetia and Russia taking the place of Serbia, Kosovo and NATO.

It is weird by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:11:20 PM EST
This time Russia likes the idea of part of a nation leaving, although I'm sure not with much independence.

Not that any nation's policy is ever consistent, I don't think it is possible, just an observation.
____

insane horse thing by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 12:56:33 PM EST
ENJOY YOUR DRESSAGE

Yes that was it by duxup (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:09:55 PM EST
They kept talking about how they had to keep the horse calm before they went faster.

They later said he was going faster... I couldn't tell!
____

Well, yes by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:32:41 PM EST
History is pretty clear on the matter: pissing off Russia is generally speaking a bad idea, especially if you share a border.

What is really irritating is the obvious bluffs coming from certain politicians in the West who think that there is anything short of all-out nuclear attack they can do about it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yar by duxup (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 01:43:07 PM EST
There be some dumb asses out there.

I was watching the news and I could have sworn some people really want some sort of horrific war.
____

HD Olympic CG by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 02:18:57 PM EST
Them fireworks you saw wasn't the fireworks that was shot. Thems was rendered. As far as HDTV I've been seeing a lot of reports about piss-poor quality due to the original signal being compressed and then the local cable companies compressing more (or possibly doing a decomp/recomp with lossier method). Comments?

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 03:14:16 PM EST
I heard about the fireworks.  I thought the stage deals with the scroll and such were the coolest things though.
____
I missed it all by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 04:06:23 PM EST
I have no TV, no interest in sports, and no desire to re-live 1936. OTOH I'd do Olga Korbut (or today's version of her).

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

The net by duxup (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 04:12:35 PM EST
I've watched most over the internet.  It's nice to choose the sport you want rather than ... the stupid stuff.
____
Intervention by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 02:50:15 PM EST
I saw that episode, that guy would've been a phenom if he was clean.  Back when he was using was a low point in cycling where almost everyone was using drugs, albeit stuff like EPO and other hemocrit enhancing substances.  Even stimulants like cocaine (il Pirata died of a coke OD) didn't raise any eyebrows.

He probably didn't get kicked off due to the drugs but due to Lance's asshole attitude regarding anyone that wants any attention.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
That makes sense by duxup (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 03:15:25 PM EST
Dude like his stimulants.  I got the distinct impression that the dude in the intervention and Armstrong thing was sort of one of those situations where two dorks meet up and things go bad.
____
Despite his media appearance by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 02:32:45 AM EST
Lance is known in the cycling community as being a prick.  He's a great cyclist, obviously, but somewhere he let it get to his head.

He does do great charity work and now that he's out of cycling maybe his attitude has adjusted.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
In his book by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 02:20:50 PM EST
he certainly admitted to being a "former prick". While I could easily believe that he reformed somewhat, I suspected that backsliding would be inevitable once he accepted his survival.

Wumpus

Olympics and events. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 07:01:16 AM EST
I like the concept of the Olympics, and even like some of the events listed, but we never see those events on TV. In fact, Mrs. NFB and I watched a couple of "events" on TV the last couple nights and got over fifteen minutes of the USA women's gymnastics team huddled together talking about how they were going to do better tomorrow instead of watching any actual events take place.

We really need to look into the internet coverage. I'd love to watch handball, badminton, fencing, or hell, about anything that never actually makes TV.

Welfare spending. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 09:45:59 AM EST
I don't understand. Folks on welfare spent their welfare money out of state? Or were welfare workers spending welfare money out of state?

Whatever it was, it's very strange.

Reminds me of a friend's friend who even though she was on welfare, she spent a few months in India with her nine children. If welfare covers those kind of trips, I'd like to find out how to sign up.

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed

where did she get the rest of the money? by duxup (4.00 / 1) #29 Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 07:34:43 AM EST
It is hard to tell what the folks here are upset about, as far as I can tell (i'm not absolutely sure as the spazzing from the republicans hasn't been consistent) the money is tied to food.  So someone bought some food in some other states.  A crime against humanity to be sure.
____