Print Story We should have taken before & after pictures
By ana (Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 07:53:58 AM EST) FC (all tags)
...said toxicfur, after we'd removed the furniture from the spare bedroom, and halfway through tearing up the carpet.

Oh well. So, yeah, we spent the mid-day Saturday removing 1970's vintage orange and yellow shag carpet from the extra bedroom. The one where we kept Calcifer confined before we were sure he didn't have some dread disease. The one the pea-brained critters all seem to think is a back-40 kind of a weed patch, so they do their pooping & peeing in there if they don't make it outside for whatever reason. Or if they're too busy playing outdoors to do their business. Or if they're just marking stuff for the hell of it. Or if they're regurgitating the syrupy remains of 3/4 of a box of Sugar in the Raw.

Oh, and while moving stuff out of the room, I found several piles of dog poop in the attic. I guess they need a place to go in an emergency, but eeuw.

Carpet's gone, pad's gone, we pulled about 100 tacks and staples out of the floor, and it all goes out for the trashperson tomorrow.

Underneath? Really quite wonderful hardwood flooring. Which is scuffed a bit, to be sure, but nothing a bit of sanding and refinishing won't fix.

And now? I'm sore. Everything from about ribcage down feels like I'm coming down with the flu. It's mostly OK if I don't move around too much, but I really can't move very fast, and was having some trouble keeping the clutch all the way down while waiting for stoplights over the weekend.

Fucking ow.

So the undergrad we had working for us doing research this summer finished his paper, if not quite on schedule, mostly due to file format issues (pdf vs postscript level 1 vs level 2). But it's done now, and he's giving a talk on it on Wednesday. And then we're paying to fly him to the astronomical society meeting in January to talk about it.

We're hoping that a bit of further work this fall can make this into a research paper, suitable for submission to the journals. That'd look good on his grad school applications.

I offered him a copy of my nano in exchange for his paper. He seemed suitably impressed that somebody he actually knows has really written a novel.

Speaking of the novel, I'm 12 chapters into the revision, and came to a grinding halt (again) over continuity issues. It's easier to keep continuity things in mind when you're writing the whole thing in a sprint. But I wanted to move one plot element forward a dozen chapters or so, and oddly whenever I write about it, it's from a perspective later in the novel than where I'm trying to put it.

I've never revised a novel before. And I suppose it shows.

I'm beginning to think we really should do that "Late Submission Fun Challenge" thing I talked about a while back. All those *FCs you were really going to enter but didn't get around to... this'd be your chance, with a gentle push, to finish the song, story, photograph, spoken word blurb, comic, or whatever. And post it for the rest of us to see.

Whaddya think?

< Games | Commodore 74 >
We should have taken before & after pictures | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
1970's vintage orange and yellow shag carpet by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 08:56:01 AM EST
What was the problem with the 70's that they laid hideous carpets over nice hardwood flooring? I can see putting down a rug to keep the feet warm in winter, but wall to wall?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fortunately, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 08:59:33 AM EST
they only covered up a couple of rooms with terrible carpet, and I suspect it was because they had kids in those rooms (similar reason for having carpet on the stairs, I think). Eventually, we'll get rid of the 1970s-era decor (heh, I almost spelled that 'error').
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
My parents had by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 05:13:07 PM EST
Sears brand ultra-strong-green carpet installed shortly after moving in (I must have been 4 at the time). Shortly after that, we got a dog.

Note that this was mostly the high traffic areas, the other rooms had rugs. I am also not kidding about ultra-strong-ugly-carpet: I think the only change in twenty years was from my Dad attempting to iron some sort of banner on the carpet (the discoloration eventually faded into the general green). Maybe they tore it out a bit earlier, I moved out before that and the dog died, but it was pretty close to 20 years. The sacrifices one makes for family.

Wumpus

`I should have taken before and after pix' by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 09:12:11 AM EST
Do you know how many times I've said that to myself in the past 5 years?

Cicero, The Republic
1970s carpet by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 09:38:42 AM EST
My parents had o get their house flooded to persuade them to get rid of theirs.

Late Entry FC - Yay+2. I have many, many intros recorded with no actual song attached. But it needs to be a shortish deadline that keeps getting extended.

Also, someone should collate what the *FC's were.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Late Fun Challenge by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 04:06:58 PM EST
Will it have a deadline? Because it would kinda suck to be late for being late ...

As for revision, how're you going to get good at it except by doing (and redoing and re-redoing)? And it seems that if any story can accomodate a scene from a later perspective, it'd be this one ...

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Deadline... by ana (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 05:26:45 AM EST
I think there should be a deadline, for motivation purposes. Now's your chance to make up that Incomplete on your transcript. After the way of the FC, it'd probably be extended several times.

And yeahthat, about revision. And while continuity problems and alternate realities are related ideas, they really are different. There's certainly room in this novel for some alternate universes that "never" come to pass (in the main story line). Or reminiscing by older versions of the characters who may or may not have experienced events as they've just been told. But silly stuff like having them already living in the airplane hangar before they're actually married and move in there are Just Wrong.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

key to carpet removal without pain by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 05:17:17 PM EST
Cut it into smaller pieces, I usually go for 2-foot wide strips.

Makes pulling it up easier, and transporting it much easier.