Print Story Help for the not very handy
Help!
By spacejack (Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 10:57:02 AM EST) (all tags)
ATTN HARDWARE INFIDELS: I want to make a stand for my skull. Diagrams included.

So, I have this skull cast:

which is infinitely useful to sketch from. However it's sometimes tricky putting it into an exact position. The skull has a screw hole (or at least a hole) on the very bottom, with what looks like space for a washer. So it appears as if it'd be pretty easy to fasten to something.

What I want to do is attach it to a flexible rod of some sort, attached to a base, so I can move it around and have it stay in any position:

What parts do you think I'd need for something like this? I'm hoping I can find them cheaply from a hardware store.

< This is a diary | Greetings from the Beautiful Reading Regional Airport! >
Help for the not very handy | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Perhaps a shower head on a flexible mount by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 11:00:50 AM EST
or a flexible desk lamp?

I don't know if you can armored electrical cable anymore, but maybe you can rip some out of a wall. If you make it down here, you're welcome to as much you can get out of our ceiling.

I was thinking of lamps by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 11:18:25 AM EST
like a piano lamp that I might find at a junk store. I'd have to hacksaw the end off and then try to add something to attach the skull.

Does armoured electrical cable stay in the position you bend it into? Think it would support an object weighing about a pound?

Pretty much, it doesn't bend easily by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 11:20:42 AM EST
bring a hacksaw, when can I expect you?

Too bad you aren't local, by muchagecko (4.00 / 7) #2 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 11:12:50 AM EST
I could show you how to do it.

1 - find a snug blouse, that shows a little cleavage.
2 - go to your local hardware store and politely ask a middle aged male employee for help. (Although a young guy would be cute and enthusiastic, a middle aged guy has more experience. Trust me on this.)
If your guy doesn't completely make the stand for you, he'll at least do all the hard parts and just leave the final easy bits for you to fit together.

I know no other way.

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed

The whole reason for this diary: by spacejack (4.00 / 6) #4 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 11:20:03 AM EST
To avoid an emasculating experience at the hardware store.

then send me by MissTrish (4.00 / 6) #12 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:22:21 PM EST
you know i have the shirts for this

ypu're a chair
Problem solved! by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:49:23 PM EST
When can I expect delivery, and what do I owe you?

we can sort it all out tonight by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 06:40:55 AM EST
bring booze

ypu're a chair
ok by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 07:41:03 AM EST
Any booze requests?

nah, call it by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21:27 AM EST
that way it's not so much my drinking problem as drinking with a friend

ypu're a chair
A more stable way that a flexible lamp mount by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 01:28:32 PM EST
would be to put it on a two piece gimbal that was on a wide base. The gimbal would be two rigid lengths of pipe that met at a ball and socket joint. the socket would be tightened around the ball with a thumbscrew. That would give you infinite flexibility for positioning with much less chance or the skull getting bumped out of place accidentally.

I'll be your local hardware store would have what you're looking for if you just start asking for a ball and socket joint.

good idea by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:19:58 PM EST
Hadn't thought of anything like that. Seems the hard part is going to be attaching the skull to something, or attaching something to the rod that will attach to the skull.

Duct tape. by Driusan (4.00 / 3) #13 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:30:56 PM EST
Duct tape is what you're looking for, there.

Vive le Montréal libre.
flexible camera tripod by rdskutter (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 03:48:37 AM EST
You've just described a mini tripod for a camera.

How about finding a nut that will fit the thread for a camera tripod mount, then glue the nut into the hole in the bottom of the skull, then buy a tripod like this: http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/

"BEEN A BIT CARELESS HAVEN'T WE" - Mr Death

Depending on the size of the hole by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 01:28:43 PM EST
I'm having trouble picturing where the hole is and where the center of gravity is but

maybe a table top camera tripod:

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Ahh, tripod by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:39:24 PM EST
That's a pretty good idea too. I had a look at my tripod - the screw appears to be a bit too small for the hole in the skull, and the flat base of the tripod attachment prevents the screw from reaching the hole in the skull.

But if I can find something to attatch in-between, this could work. A tripod would be pretty ideal in this case.

So, yeah, it looks pretty easy. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 02:17:15 AM EST
Of course, this assumes you have the tools available.

I'd just find a piece of wood and drill a hole in each end - one for attaching to the tripod and one for attaching to the skull. The hard part would be making it thin enough that you can attach it to the tripod without altering the tripod. (Assuming you want to keep using the tripod for other things.)

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Rather than drilling into the skull by komet (4.00 / 3) #8 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 01:32:03 PM EST
why not rest it on a large bean-bag. The beans should shift and hold the skull in any orientation.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Uh by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:46:24 PM EST
But that would be too easy!

Hmm, that is deviously clever. My only worry there is that the beanbags may obscure parts of the outline of the shape. It's nice to be able to look all the way around the object while drawing it.

Still, it could be a good back-up plan.

P.S. Hope you had fun here in big, bad Toronto!

Try these guys by stevew (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 01:41:48 PM EST
I was looking for the same sort of thing yesterday to replace a 50 year old gooseneck on a lamp on a drawing table. These guys kept coming up in searches: http://www.vimcomanufacturing.com/product.htm
Give them the diameter and depth of the hole and the weight of the skull.
Another option, if you have a secondhand theatre supplies place nearby, could be an old gooseneck mic stand or freestanding stage/photography lighting stand.

Nice! by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 05:51:55 PM EST
That is pretty much what I was looking for.

Art store by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 02:53:31 PM EST
You're looking for an "architect's mo(u)ld" or something similar, a very bendy piece of plastic-wrapped metal which is used to follow/outline any curve or surface feature. Very sturdy, they come in different lengths. If you can cast a skull you can figure out how to mount it.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I shall have a look by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 06:20:56 PM EST
Though I didn't cast the skull, I bought it for about $25 at the University bookstore in the anatomy section. They also had skulls mounted on stands, but you couldn't bend them.

Microphone stand. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #21 Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 04:44:40 AM EST
In fact, your drawing looks like one of those.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Help for the not very handy | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback