Print Story Thank you, mother.
By nightflameblue (Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 04:46:19 AM EST) (all tags)
I was wondering when that was coming.

Randomness contained within.

• Mother, two days after being told, finally gave me the talk I'd figured was coming right away. She's mellowed. Far less direct than she used to be. She decided on the track of reminding me of every person we've ever known who ever had a motorcycle accident. Thanks, mom. I knew you wouldn't let me down.
  • Why do I see so many bicycles cruising around town with a helmet hanging off the handlebars and no helmet on the head of the knob riding it? There's also a surprising number of motorcycles riding around with a helmet strapped on the luggage rack. How does that help in a crash?
  • We had the "thou shalt wear long pants" talk last night. Mrs. NFB was not even close to happy with that. "Every time?" Yes sweety. Because if you get more fucked up than me I'd never forgive myself, even if it was because you were being ridiculously stubborn over something that should just be common sense.
  • Shockingly, she agreed to an armored jacket without fuss. Mostly because she thinks, "those look awesome."
  • The MSF Rider's Course has several dozen classes left this year that aren't full. In fact, if I really wanted to, I could probably get signed up for next weekend. I may let that one slide and go for the weekend after as I'll have some makeup to do around the house for taking off this weekend to pick up the bike.
  • The Obama/McCain thing is already hitting the hardcore mudslinging stretch. I'm not sure whether I'm surprised more in how quickly it happened, or how long it took before it started. For the record, when Obama said "because I don't look like those guys on the dollar bills" I just thought he meant because he was young and relatively healthy looking. McCain's camp is doing a good job of making him look like an idiot for immediately jumping to race. Good job losers.
  • The fat cat story does not amuse me near as much as it should. Mostly because they're trying so hard to force him into the public spotlight, and every picture and video I see of the poor guy makes it obvious he's completely uncomfortable with all that attention focused on him. Cats like individual attention at best. Having thousands of people screaming for them? Not so much their thing.
  • Didn't sleep worth a crap last night. Shouldn't have done that horrible supper. Blech.
  • We had our first garden grown product this week. It was a small, but extremely ripe tomato. It was about ten thousand times sweeter than any tomato I've had in years. There are several more that look like they'll probably be ready before the weekend is over. Good god was that little thing tasty. Me = tomato sammich heaven by next week. Eat it n00bs!
  • The corn is weird. Short, sickly looking stalks, yet the ears look healthy and full as can be. Probably have some of that to pick by the end of the weekend too. I wonder what grew in that spot before this year to stunt that corn so much yet still let it be healthy? Weird.
  • The rest of the garden is questionable. The watermelon may be salvageable. The onions, one row. The rest, I think we're out of luck until next year. But, as an experiment, I think if we get some good corn, Mrs. NFB is going to be thrilled and call it a learning experience on the rest.
  • I'm proud of her on the entire garden thing. She has not turned it into my problem the way certain other females in my life have turned it into their mate's problem. I've helped when I can just because she's been so awesome about not asking for help. And she's been appreciative for it, because she knows that, for the most part, I really don't care for the idea of a garden beyond maybe one tomato plant because that's the only thing that even the farmer's market stuff doesn't seem to come close to home grown. Everything else we can get stuff that tastes good other places. But, she's enjoyed it, and that's cool.

That's about it. Outz.

< What day is today? Why, it just happesn that today is RTFO Friday | Into the belly of the beast >
Thank you, mother. | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No herbs, lettuce or snap peas? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 04:51:18 AM EST
We've been eating mint, basil and lettuce for months, and three weeks ago twelve year old and Porsche_girl ate up all our snap/sugar peas.

Are you looking into armored pants, too? Statistically legs and feet take the most damage. I wear my heavy waterproof armored pants when I ride to work, if I'm riding a few blocks in the neighborhood I may not.

Which isn't to say you can't put Mrs. NFB in tight cut offs and a tight tank top for a few photo ops.

I'm looking into it. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:03:11 AM EST
We had peas and green beans in the garden but something weird happened with that part of the garden and it became overgrown. This may have something to do with the fact that the dude behind the garden BLOWS HIS FUCKING GRASS CLIPPINGS RIGHT INTO THAT AREA OF THE GARDEN!

Ahem. Sorry. Mildly upset about people being idiots with our garden even if I don't much care for the garden itself.

This is a sort of small plot of land, and we were experimenting pretty heavily with just having plants in general, so we didn't do much variety. Next year will likely be a bit more thick. And we may put up a solid fence to block the neighbor's idiotic grass clippings problem.

As far as armored pants, I'm looking around to see what I can find. I've got some really extra thick jeans I plan on wearing at first. They're super comfy and thick enough to probably protect me at the slow speeds I'll be riding at for the first few test rides. Also, big heavy leather work boots.

So far for Mrs. NFB it was a real struggle to get her to agree to jeans instead of shorts. Even that was, "well, I'll do it at first. But I really don't want to do it all the time." I'll use that as a pry bar to work on her, and if that doesn't work, I'll subtly show her stats of injuries.

I'm kind of over-reactive on protection because I had a friend in school that went down at under forty miles an hour wearing shorts and a tank top on a sport bike. They were picking gravel out of his leg and back for days at the hospital. *SHUDDER*

Do you have a belt sander? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:11:33 AM EST
Put a ham in jeans or shorts, and take a belt sander to it. Mesh pants are probably pretty cool, and draggin jeans or other kevlar lined jeans are probably better than nothing.

I like that idea. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:16:50 AM EST
For proving to wifey that shorts are not a good idea.

While the jeans I have aren't armored, they are double layered and in between the layers is a thick flannel pad. Probably fine for the parking lot rides. But yeah, I'm looking for myself and trying to talk Mrs. NFB into getting for herself, some actual riding pants. But I'm pushing it at her in increments. Getting her over the "I want to wear shorts" thing is step one.

May help by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 06:31:38 AM EST
I haven't ridden a bike in years - traffic out here is just too insane - but damn near every single rider I see or know who's under 50 wears the full armor. Jacket, pants, gloves, helmet. And they are making some really hot looking gear these days. I'll see if I can find out who made it, but a friend's wife... well, she's pretty hot normally, but wearing her full gear - all Kevlar-reinforced, good-quality stuff - she's incredibly hot. They're armored pants that actually make her ass look better.

pants by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:14:01 AM EST
My gf burned her ankle on my exhaust when she was wearing some sort of not full length pants and a tennis shoe. So it's not just falling down that will get you.

Since you're getting saddlebags, an alternative to pants is chaps. They look ridiculous walking around, but if you can put them in the saddlebags when you get off the bike, then you can be happily wearing shorts walking around, and safe on the bike. Good ones aren't cheap though. I imagine your wife will love this suggestion.

Chaps probably won't happen. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:17:53 AM EST
I think I have a better shot at finding some nice mesh/armored pants that match the jacket she thinks looks so awesome. She's already brought up chaps as something to laugh at.

NOW, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 06:20:03 AM EST
but wait until you get her a pair.

I'm a fan by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 07:00:35 AM EST
of not having her mad at me. So, I won't buy her a pair. But if I find pants that match the jacket she likes, I'll buy those for her.

Buy some chaps by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 06:36:46 AM EST
and a Family Guy instructional video.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I think women look hot in chaps by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:25:46 AM EST
but that's just me.

Women look hot in everything. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:33:52 AM EST
Or nothing.

weeelllll... by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:34:46 AM EST
...um...no...you're right.  my bad.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Of course I am. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 05:47:50 AM EST
I may not know much about wimmins, but that much is pretty clear to me.

We've had a ton of cucumbers by debacle (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 10:04:18 AM EST
They're very tasty.

Mmmm. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 10:13:03 AM EST
Grandma used to make this awesome "pickles and onions" thing with fresh cucumbers that was basically a cream sauce, onions, fresh sliced cucumbers and some herbs, vinegar, let it sit a couple days, then eat. It was just about the second best fresh veggie dish I've ever had. Spicy, smooth, yum.

My mom makes that by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 04:05:07 PM EST
I like to put it on souvlaki. It's like a chunky tzatziki.

dangit, ours are still growing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 11:23:54 AM EST
not even flowering, and strangling the rest of the garden.

It's been a good year for them by debacle (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 04:06:27 PM EST
I'm kind of upset that we didn't plant any cantaloupes, since those would have grown great as well.

Helmets by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 12:41:26 PM EST

Sweat. I'll take mine off when I'm on the trail to let my head cool off - but I definitely strap it back on before heading into traffic.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

YIKES! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 12:49:31 PM EST
The only bike wreck I've had was on the trail. And I still remember the scraping sound the helmet made as I came to ground.

I'm beginning to think it's a SO/parent satisfying thing. Hang the helmet on the handlebars and toss it on as they approach the house. "Yeah, I wore my helmet. SEE!"

Hey, I didn't say it was a GOOD idea. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Aug 02, 2008 at 01:38:03 AM EST
I, too, have gone skidding down the trail on my helmet.

It's just that when the sweat is pouring into my eyes, it becomes a matter of the lesser of two evils - because I certainly can't see the trail.

As for satisfying SO/parents - you might be right. The only reason I started wearing a helmet is because my wife was making the kids wear one and she tweren't gonna let me set no bad example.

One I had the face-plant incident, I grumbled a lot less. I looked at the gouge in the helmet and I got the point.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Sweat = get a better helmet. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 04:43:47 AM EST
The helmet I use wasn't very expensive, but has a really good sweat band that wraps around the forehead. I actually have MORE problems with sweat dripping in my eyes if I don't have it on.

You have no idea. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:13:39 AM EST
When I sweat, I sweat buckets - I can literally lose 5 pounds on a ride. It soaks through my shirt, the sweat band (I carry extras), everything.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Sounds pretty similar to me. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:25:44 AM EST
I can't remember ever coming home with any dry clothing from a ride.

Why do you care? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Aug 02, 2008 at 08:19:23 AM EST
How are you really effecting when they crash without wearing a helmet?

It's not so much that I care about them. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:26:46 AM EST
It's that I care about the collective intelligence of our entire race being driven into the ground when the means to raise it somewhat is sitting right in front of someone.

Attn: Mrs NFB by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 01:55:23 AM EST
According to the European standard abrasion test, normal jeans last 0.6 seconds, while protective motorcycle pants will last 5 seconds or more.

I don't think they publish how long skin and flesh will last, which is probably a good thing.

Your local cop shop probably has a book of motorcycle accident photos you could take Mrs NFB to view; grisly viewing but shows you the consequence of stacking a bike with no protective gear on.  Or it might frighten the bejaysus out of her and make her think twice about getting on a bike.

Over the weekend I wore her down. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 02:36:55 AM EST
I think I've now got agreement to at least look at a full set of protective gear.

And there won't be any frightening her off the bike. Frankly, she's more excited than I am about it right now. Makes me kind of happy I'll be the one in control. Especially when she tells me all the stories she's got about dumping her sister off her brother's old motorcycle, or running into things with it. Do that once at sixty miles an hour and you'll change your perspective on life real quick. If you make it.

Keep at it mate by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 02:42:25 AM EST
With any luck you'll find some body armoured gear that'll make her look like a RoadValkyrie.

Thank you, mother. | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback