Print Story Bad Drawing Challenge
Help!
By spacejack (Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 04:05:38 PM EST) (all tags)
Last night 256 and ni both drew my portrait in an attempt to prove who was the worse artist. Please help settle this.

By ni:

By 256:

I must admit it is a difficult decision.

ni's drawing shows a complete lack of awareness of the golden ratio. The chair divides the composition almost exactly in half, and then he decided to draw my profile on the side with less room for some reason.

256 on the other hand, while having some compositional merit and vigorous, confident line work, attempted to add in some background details. Unlike ni's chair, I'm baffled as to what they're supposed to be.

Also in ni's drawing, I can see a certain amount of correctness with regard to the proportions of a human figure. 256's places the eyes about 3/4 up the head (they should be exactly halfway up) and the nose in the middle. Then again, ni's almost looks a bit like a cubist interpretation of me masturbating (which I assure you I was not.)

It is a tough call, but I urge you to try your best and vote in the poll.

I have an idea for the upcoming CFC, but I don't know when I'll have time for it. 256 also had an idea, but I think he misunderstood his own guidelines. I'm still eager to see it.

After the drawing competition, ni challenged both of us to an arm wrestling competition. First, there was an epic struggle between ni and 256 which lasted about 30 minutes, with 256 barely prevailing in the end. After that, ni was pretty tired out so I made quick work of him, even using my wrong hand.

Eventually I had to kick them out and get my beauty sleep, so they ventured off on a highly inadvisable quest into Chinatown. I was concerned it would end badly, with both of them chopped into bits and disposed of in a large cooking vat in the kitchen of one of those sketchy restaurants on Spadina. I was relieved today to hear that, though a little worse for wear, they had survived.

Holy shit it's a freaking tropical thunderstorm out there right now. We're getting a lot of that these days. I hope it at least cools things down a bit. We've been spoiled with a cool summer so far, and today's humidity was a nasty reminder of what's likely to come.
< A Long Weekend & Some Other Stuff | The Naturalistic Fallacy >
Bad Drawing Challenge | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
question by lm (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:11:27 PM EST
In the drawing contest were they both trying to draw as well as they could? Or were they intentionally trying to create poor compositions?

Cicero, The Republic
No, they were really trying by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:13:35 PM EST
to prove who was worst. I may have taken some subjective liberties with the rest of the events, but they were quite gung-ho about this, and wanted me to post the drawings.

disambiguation, please by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:19:03 PM EST
(a) really trying to draw well in order that it would be clear whose best effort is the saddest display of artistic merit

or

(b) really trying to draw badly in order to see who was most capable of producing a bad drawing

Cicero, The Republic
I'm not really sure by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:26:30 PM EST
You'd have to ask them, but you shouldn't trust anything an artist says about their own work.

I think by ni (4.00 / 5) #6 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 06:23:25 PM EST
it's all quite clear if you consider the (obvious) influence of French colonialism in Africa on the work.

It's also worth noting by spacejack (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:22:22 PM EST
that there was alcohol involved, and their drawing skills may have been somewhat impaired. If I weren't the model, I think I could've drawn a real contender.

it's your computer, jackass by 256 (4.00 / 3) #7 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 07:10:34 PM EST
and maybe a doorway.

the hovering "W" however is as much a mystery to me as to you.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

That's clearly a signature, doofus! by R343L (4.00 / 3) #8 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 07:41:42 PM EST
In your drunken confusion, you signed a W under the impression it was a D -- wrong fourth letter from the boundary of the alphabet.

Call me contrary, but by muchagecko (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 08:46:02 PM EST
I dig the mystery ni's drawing creates with the strange composition. I'm all "why, why" and I can't stop checking his drawing out over and over again.

ni has captured something sexy and mysterious about spacejack. What do I have to do to get ni to do my portrait?

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed

(Comment Deleted) by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 04:03:06 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ammoniacal

Well, you could ask him. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 2) #14 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 04:18:16 AM EST
Failing that, there's the good old standby, but plane tickets are pretty steep at the moment.

Yeah by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 06:17:05 AM EST
I hope it was obvious my "academic" critique was intentionally over the top. I actually find both drawings to be appealing, in a enthusiastic-naive way.

Regarding Ni's protrait. by wiredog (4.00 / 4) #10 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 01:53:43 AM EST
I looks like you've got a Scottish Terrier growing out of your arm.

Do you?

If not, he wins! Or maybe loses. Depending on how you look at it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think they're both awesome! by greyrat (4.00 / 3) #11 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 03:45:42 AM EST
They are both beautiful interpretive likenesses. But if you want me to choose a "bad" one, I think 256 is making fun of you whist ni took the exercise seriously.

I think ni is going for another swim by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 04:09:25 AM EST
Not the Thames

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Bad Drawing Challenge | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback