Print Story Amsterdam (Part 1, I suppose)
I should be there in less than 24 hours.  Does anyone have anything they think I have to do in Amsterdam, other than the obvious? (Although feel free to emphasize the obvious anyways if you feel like it).  I'm also curious about cellphones; I don't have any first-hand experience with cells in Europe at all, and I'm going to need one despite only being there two weeks.

As far as the cell thing goes, I guess it'd be nice to know what ones you folks think would be cool; it doesn't even have to be that fancy, I'm sure a guy from Soviet Canukistan like myself will be easily impressed.  Still, if anyone has any opinions on models/carriers, that'd be cool.  Also if anyone just feels like venting about models or carriers that's cool too (HuSi is largely about catharsis, eh?).

I'd write more, maybe even a bit about the whole "yay, going to Amsterdam" part, but I'm still only barely packed and my back has decided that today is a good day to revolt, so my packing time has been crowded out by lying-flat time and dry-heaving time unfortunately.

< Poem of the Day: "The Art of Dying" by Tom Disch | once upon a time in edmonton >
Amsterdam (Part 1, I suppose) | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It is obvious, but go here.... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 11:03:44 AM EST

Also, if you'll be there on 20th or 21st of July, PM me as I'll be in town.

alas, I believe I leave early on the 20th by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 06:16:15 PM EST
I'm not 100% certain though, I'll have to dig out my tickets and check that.  I'll PM you if the timeline works out.

What type of calls will you make? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 11:08:52 AM EST
Note that it will be expensive for people to call you: I can't find anyone who'll let me call European mobiles for less than £0.20 a minute. However, it's easy to get a mobile phone tariff in the UK that will call the USA for £0.05 a minute (Carphone Warehouse's Mobile World tariff). I imagine the same obtains in The Netherlands (but not Belgium, where handset subsidies are prohibited). Handsets start at around £20 or lower.

Have a good trip. I've only been to Schiphol, so have nothing to say. Except that the sailing on the Zuiderzee looked gorgeous from the plane.

hmm by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 06:19:00 PM EST
well, I'll theoretically be making mainly local calls with exceptions seldom enough that I can swallow them if they're particularly expensive.  Thanks for the info, I'm pretty clueless as to the particulars of cells on this side of the atlantic.

I'd say the Red-Light District. . . by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 11:24:30 AM EST
however, Canadian whores are superiour, so don't bother.

I liked walking through the Rijksmuseum by me0w (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 11:50:09 AM EST
The opera is good too, NEMO was fun, and there was this great restaurant called "Eat at Joe's".

I've been to Amsterdam by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 01:29:10 PM EST
Unfortunately I was too fucked to actually remember anything useful apart from you definitely should go to the Banana Club :)

Seconded. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 01:34:42 AM EST
Also, steer clear of La Casa Rossi - it's rubbish.

Careful on the streets after ~1am - lots of muggers about as the streets get quieter.

Also take a boat trip on the canals; this is a good way to see a fair bit of Amsterdamage without getting lost.

Oh and get a streetmap that goes down to named street level.  Every street looks very similar at night after a few libations.

Coffee shops: Grasshopper and Bulldog.

restaurant by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 05:35:43 PM EST
Van de Kaart. Get the surprise menu. Be hungry.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM