Print Story The man who has plenty of wheelbarrows and giveth his neighbor none ...
By lm (Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 10:11:25 AM EST) (all tags)
... he shan't have any of my wheelbarrows when his wheelbarrows are gone.

Oh goodness me, I'm done to just one wheelbarrow.

At the end of last year, I had four wheelbarrows. Now I only have one, which is probably all I need, and not for very much longer at that. 2 got left at Ye Olde House of Doome when we sold it. The new owners will almost certainly put them to good use. Ye Olde Yard of Ye Olde House of Doome needs quite a bit of work still. A third, we attempted to sell at a garage sale and failed. We ended up giving it to a couple who was selling stuff at said sale as they had want of a wheelbarrow. And now there is one.

And, yes, we took part in a garage sale this weekend. The location was the swanky suburb habitated by my brother-in-law and his wife. It was as good excuse as any to pack up a bunch of crap and cart it up north to be priced and sold. My mother-in-law decided that the amount of crap they had was insufficient and came down from the suburbs and cleaned out my garage looking for more crap. Eventually satisfied with the amount of crap, she returned. Crap from the Headache Clan turned out 3 digits in sales each day the sale was open. The other families with crap being sold also did well, but not as well.

Friday, we drove back home from a full day of hauling crap, selling crap and eating with the extended family at a chain restaurant. Once home, I played Obama's speech on patriotism from Monday and made my daughters watch it.

Saturday, I patched plaster, filled holes in a floor with wood putty, pulled up carpet strips with a wrecking bar, made bean dip from scratch and generally moped about while waiting for the delivery of two new dishwashers as part of the dual kitchen turbo rebuild. Some days my dark secrets are harder to handle than others. This day was such a day. The closest thing to a solution is just to keep moving so keep moving I did. And once showered and changed into clean clothes, I headed back up north to the swanky suburbs to celebrate my birthday that has not yet arrived.

My wife's side of the family has an unusually large number of birthdays in the summer months. Rather than having a day for each one, the extended family gets together once in June to celebrate all of the June birthdays and once in July to celebrate all of the July and August birthdays. For my part, I bought everyone a pony because, you know, everybody wants a pony for their birthday. I spent a nice portion of the evening, sprawled out on my brother-in-law's deck furniture luxuriating in the cool evening air.

And now it's only Sunday. This weekend seems like it took forever.

< Poem of the Day: "Ajamil and the Tigers" by Arun Kolatkar | I've had a few bad ideas >
The man who has plenty of wheelbarrows and giveth his neighbor none ... | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
This was an excellent weekend by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 06:58:34 PM EST
Thursday the office was closed, Friday was the wedding and some great fireworks (it's rained the past few years we've been in town). Saturday was a whole bunch of housework (but not as much as I would have liked) and today was spent mostly poolside and in the kitchen. Very relaxing.

Who got married? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 04:47:17 AM EST

Do you collect wheelbarrows or something? by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 03:53:38 AM EST
It would be interesting to find out just what kind of person feels the need for any wheelbarrows whatsoever, never mind 4.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Not intentionally by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 04:01:18 AM EST
My first wheelbarrow was left behind by the previous owner of my house when my wife and I bought it from him. Apparently he was moving into an apartment and didn't see any need for a wheelbarrow.

My second wheelbarrow was left behind by the construction crew that re-poured our concrete driveway. We called to let them know, but they didn't seem to care.

My third wheelbarrow I inherited when my father died.

My fourth wheelbarrow I was given when I lent the first wheelbarrow to the volunteer crew ripping up the concrete floor in my Church's basement. It took a pretty bad pummeling when it was on the receiving end of chunks of concrete falling off of the conveyor belt. So someone on the crew decided to buy me a new one. I protested, and even tried to leave it behind as the Church may eventually have need of a wheelbarrow but they nagged me until I took it home.

If you own any land or do any amount of landscaping, a wheelbarrow is invaluable.

Cicero, The Republic
Too bad you don't attract other thing so by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 04:42:13 AM EST
easily. Imagine if people just started leaving guns around for you or money or cars.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Well, I'm only up to two guns by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 06:27:26 AM EST
I didn't intentionally acquire those either.

Money and cars would be nice, though. And slabs of prime rib.

Cicero, The Republic
well, it's better than being... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 07:05:47 AM EST
...L "Two Sheds" M.

I'd trade my garage for two sheds by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 07:42:25 AM EST
In fact, I'd be more than happy if someone just walked off with my entire garage in the middle of the night.

From the WTF was he thinking dept: a prior owner of the house cut the garage into two pieces (one 2/3 the width of the garage, the other 1/3) and put up a new wall so that the now one garage has a covered porch that is half the size needed to hold a car.

Cicero, The Republic
someone i know by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 05:25:47 PM EST
sold their garage on craigslist.
---------