Print Story Blade Runner
By ana (Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 03:58:53 AM EST) (all tags)
movie. dinner. friends. kitties.

So the local old-movie theater is running the "final cut" of Blade Runner. I'd seen some version of it a few years ago, so we figured, hey, why not, y'know? Lots of fun, and I think a bit more gore than the version I'd already seen. But my memory of it was kinda hazy, so I'm not entirely sure it ended the same way.

I was kind of surprised to see Harrison Ford in the lead role, since I seem to have confused it with equally hazy memories of Runaway, which stars Tom Selleck.

Coming out of the theater around seven, we decided to get a burger or something at Charlie's, and started walking the block or so to that fine establishment, when we were overtaken by aethucyn, who was also going to dinner and also considering Charlie's, so we invited him to join us. The new beer garden was full; the downstairs was full, so we went upstairs. The jukebox was loud ("you kids turn down that music!!") but we managed a conversation in between and over the top of the music. Always a pleasure.

During dinner I was groping in my mind for the movie I'd confused Blade Runner with, and also couldn't come up with the name of Tom Selleck. My word-painting skills are insufficient to conjure his picture, so vivid in my own mind, in anyone else's, so the conundrum waited til this morning for a solution.

Calcifer seems to be the name we've picked for the orange kitty. It suits his fiery temperament and his orange color. He and the two dogs hung out with us on the bed in the guest room for a while last night, and beyond an occasional hiss to remind the dogs to keep their distance, there were no incidents.

Poor Rocky hates fireworks. He sat on the couch last evening panting and shaking. When we went up to visit the cat, I ended up sitting with him on the floor; he shoved his ribs up against my leg and that seemed to calm him.

And now, it's Saturday (again). A week can never have too many Saturdays.

< I am a veritable captain of industry | "Japan's Clockwork Trains - Sayonara?" >
Blade Runner | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Awwww. Poor puppy. by Lady Jane (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 04:59:09 AM EST
We're headed home so we didn't get a chance to go to fireworks, but while driving through missouri we must have seen at least two dozen different groups setting them off.  It was beautiful!  Congrats on the new kitty.  I hope you get to keep him!

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
There are so many different versions by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 08:23:35 AM EST
each with their own vastly different nuances and interpretations and so on (and then again pretty much everyone working on the movie had a different idea of what the ground truth was) that in all likelihood, the "final cut" is the closest thing there'll ever be to a one true ending.

I've only seen the director's cut, meanwhile.
busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution

There aren't "many" different versions. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 08:44:07 AM EST
There's only three, and only two different endings.

Original - Has a tacked-on ending in which Deckard and Rachael are seen driving up the coast. This is the version with the narration that over explains everything.

"Director's Cut" - This is the version that Ridley Scott did years after to get rid of the worst stuff that the studio did. It removes the tacked-on ending and the narration and inserts a small dream sequence involving a unicorn in the middle.

"Final Cut" - This is the very recent version and is really only a bunch of minor tweaks from the Director's Cut. Some of the scenes that were originally lengthened to make room for narration. The dream sequence and a couple of other scenes were lengthened slightly. Also, many special effects mistakes were fixed. (Mostly visible wires were erased.)

The only real debate is the whole "Is Deckard a replicant" thing. The "Final Cut" is the definitive version of movie according to the director and given how close to the "Director's Cut" it is, a newer version seems unlikely. A couple of the producers responsible for forcing the changes that Scott undid with the "Director's Cut" have defended their changes from an artistic standpoint and unlikely real travesties *cough*Brazil*cough* there is some merit to their argument.

Ana almost certainly saw the original version first, hence the different ending. The "Director's Cut" only played in a few specialty houses. In terms of endings, they aren't different at all from a plot perspective, but they differ strongly in tone. In both endings both Rachael and Deckard escape. In the original, we are told by the narrator that Rachael does not have a five year life span, which makes no sense given Tyrell's speech to Roy Baty, also the original leaves you with sunny skies, a more optimistic feeling view than the darkness of the hallway and elevator that the newer versions leave you with.

Anyone who is interested in learning masses amounts of info should check out the 3-hour long "behind the scenes" disc in the collector's edition. It features nearly all of the principle people in the making of the movie describing things in their own words. Plus, the collector's edition also has all three versions in their entirety.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

What about the version by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 08:55:03 AM EST
where Arnold Schwarzenegger ends up on Mars and making the skies blue and there's memory injection and stuff

and I think there was another fork of that version where he starts out as a prisoner on a game show or something?
busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution

You Brade Runnah! by debacle (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 06:44:39 PM EST
iGrrrl will always be my favorite replicant.

Blade Runner | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback