Print Story Sombering thought
By jayhawk88 (Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 06:15:00 AM EST) (all tags)
Disaster Movie is less than 2 months away from making $20 million opening weekend.

If you're anything like me, going to one of these new breed of "parody" (I use the term loosely) movies has about as much appeal as going to a Tijuana donkey show. Normally I would just chalk this up as another rung down the ladder towards Idiocracy, and Mike Judge being hailed as the Nostradamus of our time, but this image stayed with me as I was making my raisin bread this morning for some reason.

5 minutes of inspection of the poster will probably allow you to predict 90% of the jokes this movie will contain. There's the Hulk, count on a joke about him losing his pants when he transforms and/or a giant penis joke. There's what looks to be Amy Winehouse with Hancock, they will probably have some kind of super cocaine snort/smoke off. There's Alvin and the Chipmunks, get ready for a Richard Gere joke. Etc, etc.

The odd thing about this movie in particular, though, is how it's a "Disaster Movie", yet aside from the tornado in the background there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of disaster movies parodied, rather mostly super hero movies. Perhaps the movie itself will have Towering Inferno/Poseidon Adventure/Day After Tomorrow references, but isn't it interesting that Hollywood's lack of originality, which itself spawns a movie like this, is now negatively affecting even this movie? These days it's super hero movie after super hero movie, and even a crappy parody movie now doesn't have enough disaster movie material to fill a 90 minute parody movie of the same name without throwing in a bunch of superhero stuff. Is that like meta-unoriginality or something? Unoriginality squared?

I also love how half the movies they're parodying likely weren't even released when they were shooting this movie. What is this movie going to have to tell me about Iron Man?

Movie: Hey, guy, remember Iron Man?
Me: Uh, yeah, I saw it like two months ago.
Movie: Remember he had a big suit of armor and could fly around and shoot lasers and stuff?
Me: Yes, again, saw it two months ago, it was fucking awesome.
Movie: Well what if his armor was redone by Pimp My Ride???!!! Like, he's got a hot-tub attached to his butt, or 9 LCD TV's or something, and he can't even fly anymore? Eh????
Me: Dammit, Movie, you made me flip you off so hard I broke my middle finger!

Prediction: In another 5 years these parody movies won't even be movies per se at all. They'll just run the trailers for 10 random movies released in the past 6 months, draw crude mustaches, penises, or fart clouds right onto the celluloid, and lay over a laugh track so the audience knows when it's supposed to be funny. Actually, you give that idea to someone like Robert Smigel that might actually be better than the current movies. I wonder how far we are away from a "Parody Movie" parody?

< New Orange Kitty* | I am a veritable captain of industry >
Sombering thought | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
meta-unoriginality by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 06:53:24 AM EST
There's youtube videos where they take trailers for movies and recut them for humorous effect. Turning "The Shining" into a romantic comedy, for example.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Scary Mary by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 02:57:38 PM EST
That trailer was definitely interesting.  I definitely give the person/people who made that 'trailer' props for not altering anything except for the presentation and the background music used.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
these truly are the last days by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 07:48:23 AM EST
Back in the day, one could at least find high quality parody movies (viz: Airplane!). It was quality enough that most people these days don't even remember the movie it's parodying. That, combined with wars, rumors of wars, people getting shorter, etc, lead me to believe the end is nigh.

Sounds like it's time for another list by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 09:35:29 AM EST
10 Best Spoofs of "All" Time

my partial list (in no particular order)

Airplane
Airplane II
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Space Balls
Shaolin Soccer
Shawn of the Dead
Planet Terror

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

WIPO: Scary Movie by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 10:56:04 AM EST

Nigh near right, matey . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 04:31:34 AM EST
. . . but lest ye forget:

Top Secret ('twould be second for I)
The Naked Gun
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

(I'm speaking pirate this morning)

Ah, I forgot about that! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 05:36:36 AM EST
Also by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 03:47:55 AM EST
Kentucky Fried Movie and Amazon Women on the Moon, though I don't know if you would classify either of them as "best".

I was actually going to include . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:40:11 AM EST
. . . Kentucky Fried Movie, but thought that it may be outside the bounds of a true parody movie. The Zucker bros. were (and still are) comedy geniuses for the most part . . .

Superhero movies are dumb. by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 08:10:58 AM EST
Parody movies are great.

You mixed up the comparison.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

New? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 05:34:16 AM EST
I don't think this idea is new. Maybe it's new in a major motion picture with a large budget (but somehow I doubt even that) but the poster for it could very well be a cover of Mad Magazine from the 70's with the obvious replacements being made.

Cicero, The Republic
Disaster Movie by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 10, 2008 at 06:33:21 PM EST
Is that title supposed to be way unfunny or ... was this script just lying around for that long?

____