Print Story Finalization of the grand design.
By nightflameblue (Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 04:45:29 AM EST) (all tags)
The chat, the decision, the grand finale. We decided we're getting a new bike.

The discussion on money and where it's going to be headed with the bike made us realize we'll be damn near the same price as a new C90, but buying a bike near five years old, or we could just go buy a C90, pay a thousand more, and have a factory warranty and all the goodies.

It wasn't that difficult a decision.

So, the current plan as it exists today:

• Order/buy the bike we want: A C90T with the full tour package in the white/gold scheme.
  • Sign my ass up for the Rider Course through MSF. There are three places in town that do it with various schedules. I just have to figure out which one fits my schedule.
  • Have dad or one of my cycling buddies run my bike out to one of the various big-ass parking lots around my area so I can put a couple hours into slow riding, maneuvers, and getting used to the weight and not be a total spazz when I get to the class. Hey, it's been a few years.
  • Do the class.
  • License.
  • RAWK!

Or something generally like that.

Got my thick padded jeans which were bought for other purposes and only really worn a couple times. Got my big ol' work shoes. Still need to get some upper body covering that feels adequate, gloves, and helmet that fits my current head as opposed to the head I had at fifteen. Outside of that, pretty much just a matter of practice where there's no traffic for a few days and getting myself official.

I spent most of last evening investigating the proper path to the MSF riding course. I believe the preceeding paragraph should cover anything I need to get there.

Once it was all settled, I got a lot of "I'm just daydreaming about riding around with you on a motorcycle" from Mrs. NFB last night. She's almost as excited as I am. I warned her, give me time. I'm not gonna jump on the bike first day, have her strap herself on behind me and go interstate right off the bat. I'm not so head-in-the-clouds as to think I'll just be ready to handle it day one just because I used to ride cycle constantly a few years back. She seems to understand that because she realizes I'm a safety nut when it comes to my two wheelers. Still doesn't stop her from bitching that I'm gonna make her wear a helmet though.

"How am I gonna kiss you when we get on the bike if I have to wear a helmet?"

"Hmm. No kiss for the chance to keep your face if we lay it down? I'll take that risk."

"You're an asshole."

"I'm an asshole for caring?"

"We're gonna look like dorks!"

"Again, I'll take that risk."

"Fine. But I'm not happy about it.

She came at it from every angle. What do we do when we ride it somewhere? Lock them on the bike somehow. How will we talk? At stops, with the visors flipped up. What if there's a problem? You can tap on me to let me know.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me, but she's very not thrilled with the helmet idea. But, if this is our biggest tension point this year, which it has been so far, I guess we're doing alright. She knows I really am just trying to protect us both in this case, so despite her protests, I know she'll do it.

So, there's much excitement around the NFB house today. Aside from the helmet discussion, both of us are happy to have the course plotted and know it's now just a matter of time.

Gotta call insurance today and get the quotes for pre-class and post-class. Maybe I'll see if the dealer has a special "buy a bike get the class" deal. And then it's all go.

It'll be nice to leave the car at home a few days a week. Work's just far enough away to make pedal cycling there during rush hour a super bitch problem. Motorcycling seems a much better choice. I'm not exactly sure why this didn't occur to either of us before this year. Ah well, better late than skipping the party.

OUTZ!

< The fourth way. | Oi! >
Finalization of the grand design. | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
this page by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 04:51:27 AM EST
looks good.

I looked at that last night. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:21:02 AM EST
Saw everything above averages except for offroading and race-track and thought, "good, that's not what it's for."

I did try out Mrs. NFB's brother's C90 and it felt good. Really good. Some weight, but not huge with lots of guts. Should be a sweet ride.

You can buy flip-up helmets by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 04:54:10 AM EST
where the whole face flips ups. They didn't work with my glasses, so I didn't bother.

You can also get two way radios for helmets, to talk back and forth.

I'd also recommend Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. I don't know if you'll be able to get in the MSF course, ours fill up by March, but the book covers a lot of the core curriculum.

I'll be checking on the MSF class. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:25:25 AM EST
There are three places running them, and two of them are dealerships in town, so I'm guessing they roll them through pretty good. I believe I saw one of the web sites said thirty day wait to get in, which isn't too horrible.

Dad volunteered his storage unit, which is right next to our work place, which has the biggest, smoothest parking lot for miles around. Bonus. So I'll have plenty of practice time outside of work hours. Should be good to get me up to speed before going for the tests if I can't get in the class yet this summer/fall.

Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I'll look it up if the classes are full.

The book is worth it even if you get in by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:26:24 AM EST
it covers a lot more than the course, and is a good refresher.

No flip helmet is by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 02:25:45 PM EST
Snell certified. Presumably they will test the helmets, but nobody trusts theirs enough to test, so none are. Its probably better than certainly having your face sanded off, but plenty of those helmets have been known to flip during a crash.

Wumpus

I'm not big on the flips anyway. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:32:43 PM EST
Something about them just strikes me as not quite right. I guess I'm too retro for that to work for me.

Defnitely get the radio helmet thingys by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:23:47 AM EST
I saw two bikers wearing those the other day on the highway and they just looked so cool. Nothing says WIN like two aging bikers with call-centre helmet radios talking about stuff in traffic. I was laughing my head off.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Yeah. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:26:27 AM EST
That was pretty much a no-go for me anyway on multiple levels. That mental image doesn't help their cause any.

If you go full-face helmet by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:39:20 AM EST
The mics for the commo systems are not visible from the outside. Those also come with stereo headsets. Useful for radio, driver/passenger communications, and CB radio. You see lots of Goldwing riders with those outfits.

But, generally, they are unnecessary. Your honey can talk to you by touching helmets.

Accessories to get:
Windshield. It's amazing how much more comfortable and less tiring riding is when you have one of these things.

Sissy bar and cargo rack. Hmm. The Suzy-Q stock models look kinda lame. maybe aftermarket is the way to go here.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

(Comment Deleted) by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:44:35 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by nightflameblue

UR ON DA WRONG BIKE! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:46:18 AM EST
Windshield is stock. I believe only the rack is extra. Clicky the white/gold button to see the one I'm getting.

What shocks me about the C90 line is you can buy a C90 stock, and option up with windshield, backrest, saddle bags and such and end up around 15,000, or you can just go to the C90T and pay a touch under 12,000 for all the same options. Crazy.

(Got the wrong link first time. Oops.)

I was looking at the stock C90 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 06:09:50 AM EST
Get the rack. Damned useful when you just want to haul some small/light stuff. Lets you leave the saddlebags home.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I probably will. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 06:31:06 AM EST
The rack will be useful for my lunch pail on days I'm not hauling a laptop or notebook or something so don't need the saddle bags.

MSF course usually provides bikes. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:32:08 AM EST
It also usually provides the testing for the license, if required.

Jackets these days are some sort of mesh material (kevlar?) with armor inserts. You can also get leather jackets with pockets for the armor.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

mesh jackets are awesome in the heat by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:35:49 AM EST
they feel like wearing a tee shirt. Nylon/cordura are good for the cooler times.

I'm aware. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 05:39:49 AM EST
But the bikes provided by the course are super-light road worthy bikes. I want to practice riding the bike I'll actually be riding before I'm out post-licensing.

As for the licensing test, that's reason two I want to try hard to get into the course. They do provide the riding test in South Dakota.

Practice riding outside the course. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 06:12:37 AM EST
Use their bikes in the course, and especially to take the test. After each lesson go for a ride on your bike.

Also, every car and truck is driven by someone who is one or more of:

• Blind
  • Drunk
  • Stoned
  • Stupid.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh yeah by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 06:35:05 AM EST
I'll be using their bikes for the course and the test because those light bikes are AWESOME for tight maneuvers like they want you doing during the test. I'm not sure I can picture myself doing the tight slalom stuff with the C90. Not exactly a tight radius, twisty-ride bike.

My bike will be a parking lot friend for several days/weeks. At least until I'm tested and licensed. I'm not one of those guys that can justify road riding without a license because I know what I'm doing. Which is kind of funny, because I'm probably closer to knowing what I'm doing than most of those dudes that haven't set foot on a bike before the day they bought one.

As far as everyone else on the road? I already know. You should see how crazy people drive around here. It'll be nice to drive something small enough I can get out of the way quickly when I have to.

UPDATE: by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 07:32:40 AM EST
Suzuki C90s are sold out for the season. No other dealers have them, and the manufacturer is not making more until next year.

Which confuses me lots because I thought new model year on cycles started winterish. But, oh well.

This gives me time to get into the class and get licensed. No big deal. Just a minor blip of a few months.

UPDATE on the UPDATE: by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 10:39:31 AM EST
LIARS! THE DEALER WAS LYING! I FOUND ONE!

Will be picking up on Saturday. w00t!