Print Story More Rain, Less Pain, I Did Not Abstain
Family
By slozo (Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 06:44:46 AM EST) (all tags)
Some musings and observations in the wacky world of sports and leisure . . .

Plus, a super-exciting poll to decide the fate of the galaxy!

THE HALLOWED ARK
My ark building fantasy may well grow into a reality-driven survival manual. The record amounts of rainfall in these parts keep piling up, and tragically, it always seems to happen on the weekend. At least Sunday wasn't a total washout, as it only rained in the evening, so some beach volleyball fun was had. No need to water any gardens, but lawns need mowing twice as often.

VOLLEYBALL
I've been getting back into playing volleyball for a good period of time now since getting back from China, and with the summer season comes beach. For this experienced hardcourt player, it's been a humbling learning curve, as I have had my problems adjusting to the sand. Finally starting to play at a level I am happy with now though - I think wrapping up my injured toe has helped immensely. Who knew that the middle joint in my big toe was so integral to moving and jumping in the sand?

The big thing is remembering to move forward to directly below where you will spike/hit the ball, then jump straight up. It's just physical memory conditioning, but when you forget, you just look silly. Can't jump forward very far from a shifting surface . . .

DAMNED VILLAGE
It's been fun making some new friends in the community here through v-ball, there are a ton of young couples here in Newmarket. Must be the somewhat affordable housing, coupled with the proximity to Toronto. At any rate, it seems like the place is teeming with the pregnant couples, so there are many others in our community who are going through the same things as we are. Half of the players in our group of ten had pregnant wives, which, when relaying this observation to the wife, made her mention the movie Village Of The Damned.

At least the kid'll be bright.

POWERS OF PREDICTION
So, it looks like our little one in the oven will be a girl, from what the ultrasound has shown. We've gotten into lots of strange conversations already with many couples, trying to give us advice on not finding out beforehand. People often give me the line that, "there're so few genuine surprises these days, it's nice to have one, and no matter what, it'll be good news as long as the baby is healthy". Uh, yeah . . . that's fine, I'd rather not have the nurses and such keep secrets just because I want an extra surprise.

Besides, the more I look into it, the more I hear of missed predictions coming from the ultrasound prognoses. This is especially so with the result of "it looks like a girl", as is our case. Most everyone in my family and around us thought it was going to be a boy, going by old wives' tales and convential wisdom and all that - carrying high/low, morning sickness, genetic history, etc. But, we got a decent shot of the little critter which would definitely seem to indicate girl (I have since learned, though, that the best indication for girl is a clear shot of the 'three lines' for the labia, and that we did not see).

And now to add fuel to the fire, this one friend of YJ's, let's call her Helter Skelter (HK), her dad is some sort of baby shaman predictor dude. He has a 100% prediction rate supposedly, and can tell when someone is pregnant when they aren't even close to showing according to legend. Well, when HK brought YJ over to visit months ago, he knew my wife was pregnant (at three months!), even though now past 5 months it's actually a bit hard to tell she's preggers. The King of Baby prediction spoke on it, and he says it's definitely a boy, to further muddy the waters.

Which is why we have Husi polls, so vote for what sex you think the child will be. Key facts: no morning sickness to speak of, not a lot of discomfort, carrying low, craving salty foods (not sweet).

< I hate shit sometimes | I need to get out. >
More Rain, Less Pain, I Did Not Abstain | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by hulver (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 06:54:02 AM EST
One of each!
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Careful what you wish for.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 07:14:17 AM EST
It Happened to my cousin's kid, "born with both".. Kid's about 6 now, being raised as a boy, after much surgery.

Triplets! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 07:56:04 AM EST
One of each!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Thanks . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 08:26:03 AM EST
. . . I think. That's fraternal twins, not a hermaphrodite, correct?

It's not twins for sure, unless the other one is, like, really tiny and shows up later coming out of her chest like Kuato in Total Recall. But that's covered in the poll under the V/Alien option.

Speaking of which, that option is leading in the poll . . . what can you say, Husi is all over the sci-fi.

Quaid.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 10:17:38 AM EST
start the reactor!

have never understood the bourgeois/ by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 06:56:13 AM EST
middle class obsession with not wanting to know the sex of your child beforehand. There are plenty of surprises in life, and too many involving your kids.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Carrying Low: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 07:07:37 AM EST
It's a girl. Seen this over and over again.

Majority of people . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 08:06:55 AM EST
. . . I've spoken with say otherwise - that low means boy. This is one of those "indicators" that I have come to conclude is relatively pointless, just from all the anecdotal evidence gathered.

Definitely a girl. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 07:40:23 AM EST
Boy hormones make women sick. They also make a woman's body try to push the baby away - so boys stick out more.

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed
Not to be the contrarian here, but . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 08:11:01 AM EST
. . . from my own circle of aquaintances, family and friends - no, it's the other way around. No morning sickness means boy, lots of nausea means girl. I think part of the reasoning has something to do with hormone production, yeah . . . but going strictly from my family - no nausea has meant a boy.

You Canadians are backwards. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 08:51:39 AM EST
I should have remembered that.

At least in my case and as I was informed by my midwife - the boy hormones make mom sick.

My girl was low and I never threw up while pregnant with her. My son stuck right out and I threw up at least once a day for months.

But you are a Canuck - so maybe it's the opposite for you.

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed

It's possibly explained . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jul 28, 2008 at 09:03:50 AM EST
. . . by the magnetic pole actually being positioned in our territory, being surrounded by freshwater constantly, and the fact that we live in igloos and club seals.

Seal fat, definitely the seal fat.

Did this person give you ANY info to back this up? by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 29, 2008 at 04:18:13 AM EST
Cuz all of that sounds completely anecdotal and false.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I will be interested to see... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 30, 2008 at 02:38:02 PM EST
Cause so far I have always been right calling the sex of the baby; I was saving boy clothes for you guys.... darn it. I hope I'm right, I have a big box all ready, and they are super cute clothes.
*twinkle*twinkle*

A box of clothes .. . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Jul 31, 2008 at 03:17:18 AM EST
. . . on top of what you already gave us? That might be a bit much, but hey - we won't refuse it.

Hours in the past and future have been/will be spent on cooing over little shoes, socks and outfits . . . the socklets are cutest.