Print Story Things I learned from Liberal Fascism
Books
By georgeha (Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 07:07:45 AM EST) fascists, Reagan, traveling, kooks, bees (all tags)
Prohibiting alchohol for everyone is Christian Fascism, prohibiting alcohol for people 18-21 is a mark of a wise Conservative.

The 60's weren't a time of peacefulness, there were bombings, protests, murders, riots.

Fascists feel the state and public good trumps the needs of the individual, unless the individual is an air traffic controller, in which case it's reversed.

Generallissimo Francisco Franco, while still dead, has no relevance in the discussing the history of Fascism.

Seventh Day Adventists and Hitler are both liberals, because they're non-smoking, non-drinking vegetarians.

Nazis are not straight laced prudes, some were gay, some were perverts, some were even okay with babies born out of wedlock, provided the parents were Aryans!

Controlling the legal things you put in your body is Fascist, controlling the illegal things you put in your body is not.

Plus, Summer of the Sea Serpent, getting up on two wheels, Ride Your Bike to Work Day, smashing party despite the insect kingdom, I can't drive 55, Miller's Crossing, new books, and less.

Poll: What will we see in Nova/DC?

The birthday party in the park went very well, despite the attempts of the insect world to kill me. I'm somewhat allergic to bee/wasp/hornet stings, I got stung years ago and my toe swelled up to the size of a plum. I got stung Thursday evening, I though I did well by getting the stinger and poison sack out with a knife blade, and icing it for much of the evening. Despite that, the next day my foot was sore, and when I finally took off my shoes and socks I had a blister the size of a cherry on my toe. Ouch.

Anyhow, the party went well, all the girls twelve year old invited showed up, and they had a fun time playing with little structure or supervision. Hide and seek is different with cell phones. I ended up getting pizza from a little shop where an old friend works, I even ran into his daughters when I went to pick up the pizza. Cleanup took all of five minutes!

We're still not there in two wheel land for seven year old, though she did go about 45 feet before freaking out the other day.

In other riding news, I missed Ride Your Bike to Work day, again. I haven't ridden in weeks, maybe after our trip to NoVa I'll have time for the simpler things in life, like fixing my motorcycle.

In other gas fueled vehicle news, I'm trying to drive the speed limit, when it's safe, just to see if my mileage goes up. I'm doing my part to cut the cost of gas.

I have a new favorite gun, the tommy gun with the endless supply of magazine in Miller's Crossing, though I hear that's common with movie tommmy guns. I liked it, but it's not my favorite Coen brother's film, it was too over the top violent for me, just dialed back a little would have made it more enjoyable.

In book reviews, we finished yet another Magic Treehouse, Summer of the Sea Serpent, in which Jack and Annie go back to ancient England and retrieve an Arthurian sword for Merlin, but not Excalibur. I'm not sure of Osborne's source for Arthur having two swords, one he pulled from a rock (Excalibur), and a different one given to him by the Lady of the Lake to help him rule, the one in the book. And yes, it is a poor form of government.

I also finished Liberal Fascism, Jonah Goldberg's tome saying that Liberals like Clinton and her ilk are secretly Mommy-State Fascists, compared to Daddy-state Fascists like Nazis, and they're cousins on the left. I took note for a longer review, in short, he raises some interesting points, but buries them in so many extraneous other issues that his thesis is weak. Really, what is his intended audience, what sort of politically aware audience is it that thought the 1960's were a fun, happy, peaceful time?

This time tomorrow we should be sucking down gas in our cozy minivan in the middle of Pennsylvania, probably 15. I bought some new books at B&N yesterday for the trip, if King of the Vagabonds is not much better than Quicksilver, I will hunt down lm and cry wah, wah, wah.

< Week 26 and counting | I just got coffee and... >
Things I learned from Liberal Fascism | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hitler also liked dogs, cream cakes and by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 07:54:16 AM EST
Art.

if you like any of those things then you're secret Nazi, you know.

Goldberg mentions animal rights by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:00:33 AM EST
being a plank of the Nazi party, as well as being a liberal tenet.

Hitler vs Churchill as artists by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:03:39 AM EST
From NewsWeek.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

wipo: Beltway traffic woes. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:08:02 AM EST
finished Liberal Fascism Why? Has anyone not a neo-con, or other nutjob, read it? My Uncle, who's both (well, used to be), hasn't read it.

drive the speed limit, when it's safe, just to see if my mileage goes up A couple weeks ago, driving to the beach on rt 50, I drove 50 MPH instead of the 65 that traffic does. Took 40 minutes longer, got 30MPG instead of 25 MPG, so saved 1 gallon of gas, at $4/gal.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

On another site, some ignint sort was praising it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:12:12 AM EST
so I felt I should read it to see what the hoopla was. I got it out of the library, for free!

wipo part deux by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:48:51 AM EST
DC power brokers: Heartless, inattentive, and unfamiliar with the basics of operating an automobile.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

compassionate conservatives are also fascists by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:52:55 AM EST
according to Goldberg.

It's okay, I just cut my hair (#3 clipper), so I don't look like a liberal.

2 on the sides, 4 on the top. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jul 24, 2008 at 02:34:51 AM EST
Wore a dark suit to the interview at BAH. I looked very Republican.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The Baroque Cycle was the only thing that by Clipper Ship (3.00 / 4) #6 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:42:12 AM EST
convinced me to read Stephenson. I really like that series of books.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

He has trouble with pacing and endings by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:46:10 AM EST
I did like SnowCrash, the Big U, and Cryptonomicon, so I'll give him a chance to redeem himself for Quicksilver.

I don't know. Most writers have a significant by Clipper Ship (2.66 / 3) #9 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:51:13 AM EST
weakness, and Quicksilver does kind of just end, but it works because of the novel following it. It's really one big book, not 3 contained books. But, the story itself is just...fun, really. Not too much to think about, some neat facts to frame the time it takes place in, which works quite well and the fun of illustrating important historical figures.

It'd be a fun, not-too-heavy movie. I liked it.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

If it ain't Baroque . . . by Beechwood 45789 (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 09:02:20 AM EST
For me, the whole trilogy bogged down whenever Jack wasn't on stage. Whenever Eliza, with her anachronistic do-goodie politics and her "can do no wrong" plotting, appeared it was like having the den mother show up to end the decidedly unwise but irrefutably awesome bottle rocket fight. If the second book does, as the title promises, focus on Jack, then it is bound to be an improvement.

my bike is having troubles too. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 09:37:54 AM EST
I think it's carburator issues -- turning the throttle past half and it sounds like the engine is starting to choke on too much gas.

Do you have a shop manual? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 09:42:15 AM EST
It could be a main jet problem.

I tightened up the plate connecting my carb to the engine boots, that might have been the reason for my ridiculously high idle.

Hide'n'seek Plus cell phones by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:01:14 AM EST
Curious what do they do differently?

or was it just that the girls didn'trealize the logistics of turning off the phone, so when you were called, it gave out your location?

Instead of ollly olly oxen free by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:14:36 AM EST
you just text people when you can't find them.

That's no fun by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:24:23 AM EST
you're suppossed to leave them hidden. And go do something else.

That'll teach em to be better at the game than you are.

I felt responsible though by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:29:38 AM EST
I'd have had a hard time telling a parent their tweenager is either really good at hiding, or got abducted by a pedophile, since I wasn't watching.

I approve of your field surgery technique by dmg (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:40:04 AM EST
I am reminded of this guy.

"By the end of June I was able to saw the dead finger-ends off with a fret-saw"

"There is of course, never any point in crying over spilt milk - the key is to learn from failures and then to keep going."
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

He is more hard core than I am by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:45:13 AM EST

apparently by dmg (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jul 24, 2008 at 01:59:09 PM EST
His surgeon was cross with him for his DIY surgery attempts, which made the subsequent plastic surgery more difficult.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I'm heading back to the midwest tomorrow by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:41:57 AM EST
So if you're intending to hunt me down in NoVa, you best be quick.

But as of today, at least, I know exactly where I'll be moving to next month.

Cicero, The Republic
Where to? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:52:40 AM EST
I expect you'll be in the midwest by the time we get south of the Mason Dixon line.

Silver Spring is where we'll be residing by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 12:10:38 PM EST
We scored a unit with a great number.

Cicero, The Republic
That looks pretty close to DC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 12:14:56 PM EST
Are your kids going to Maryland schools then?

Montgomery County, MD school district by lm (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 06:07:25 PM EST
Presuming that the county schools web page is correct on which addresses fall into which district, both the middle school and the high school our girls will be attending also double for the magnet schools for math and science. The only thing I'm unhappy with as far as the schools are concerned is that it looks like the girls will be riding the bus.

But that's pretty much the way we planned it. We looked at school districts and proximity to the Metro before considering anything else.

Cicero, The Republic
We were grateful to get this bus by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Jul 24, 2008 at 03:22:59 AM EST
and the girls ended up enjoying it, they get to spend more time with their friends.

Miller's Crossing by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 02:58:19 PM EST
Always reminds me of college.  My then GF needed to watch it for Drama class. She came over.  We got kinky for 2 hours, she fell asleep, and I watched it and helped her write her paper.

Click
Fond memories then by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 03:02:06 PM EST
or is it    mammaries!

oh yes. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 04:27:01 PM EST
those were the days.

Click
Liberal Fascism by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 07:32:33 PM EST
Why, exactly do you read crap like that?  What, next, Ann Coulter?

Remember, when you stare into the abyss it stares back into you.

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz