Print Story Scrabble-like games
Games
By gzt (Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 06:24:17 PM EST) gzt, scrabble (all tags)
I feel like I should get decent at games that are like the Scrabble-brand word game. Not, like, tournament-level intense where you memorize and drill stupid word lists, but as decent as you can get without doing so. I mean, I'd be willing to learn the 2-letter and some of the 3-letter words and purely practical vocabulary, but nothing beyond that.

The question is, do you have any advice? And what are the best places to play online (since playing frequently is probably the best way to learn)?

I don't intend to get too serious, but I need some games to intersperse with the chess and that people are more amenable to playing in a social setting. Scrabble seems decent, since it can handle four players and most people have it. Monopoly is a fine game to play in a social setting, and I heartily endorse it, but I really doubt the utility of any sort of focussed study. I mean, what the hell would I look at? Of course, Scrabble would eventually run into the same sort of problem as chess: people quickly notice that somebody who actually knows anything about the game will often mop up the floor with them. However, with 4 people playing, the luck element is rather strong, so true love will find you in the end.

< My vacation Journal | Another Chapter of the THusi '08 Adventure >
Scrabble-like games | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
One of the Sunday papers in UKia by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 02:44:05 AM EST
had PC Scrabble as a free give-away CD last year. I still have it somewhere probably. There's also Scrabulous.

It's good to play by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:19:56 AM EST
if you want in-person, buy a scrabble dictionary, but implement something like the chess-clock -- to keep folks from paging through the dictionary forever during their turn.

Knowing the 2 letter words will drastically increase your score.

It doesn't really help your vocab, from my experience. But I'm no ace player -- I go for tiles played, but that isn't the best way to score points (unless you've got 7-letter words).

I have a chess clock. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:55:25 AM EST
I'm a chess player, after all. It even has Scrabble-specific settings.

2-letter words by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 05:25:28 AM EST
I used to work with someone who played Scrabble online, and used those 2-letter words.  Those aren't words! (not English words, anyway)  You can't use them in a sentence.  If I recall the rules, only valid words are legal.  Why are the rules different online?

answer: by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 05:31:05 AM EST
They appear in certain dictionaries, so they appear in the official Scrabble dictionary. So they work even "offline" if you play using the official Scrabble dictionary. Some of them are words, like "aa" and the recently-allowed "qi" (though I would argue that that's really a foreign loan-word), but I agree that a lot of them are just BS.

Facebook scrabulous app is good . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 05:41:19 AM EST
. . . for hooking up with all sorts to play scrabble with, and it's what I use. You'll see if you use it, that it deviates from tournament scrabble quite a bit by giving you a two letter list, word check, etc. All those tools make it easier to get higher scores, so the playing field is levelled considerably. Very convenient to use though.

There are many scrabble playing sites online as well that rate users so that you end up playing people of the same ability, but I haven't used them in a while due to the fb invention.

Scrabble-like games | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback