Print Story Look at me, ma! I'm bloggin' from the campsite!
Travel
By ObviousTroll (Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 10:16:19 AM EST) (all tags)
I've met the future, and it is weird.

Update [2008-7-20 21:36:5 by ObviousTroll]: Holy smokes, it's spreading.

So, I really am writing this from the Pocono mountains, while waiting for SWHTL to finish getting us checked in, but we aren't really camping, we're checking into the "Great Wolf Lodge" for a couple of days. The place looks like FrontierLand at Disney World but the good news is that I managed to get poison ivy before we even left for vacation, so at least I've got that out of the way.

I was running around Lock 60 on the old Schuylkill Canal System which really is a beautiful piece of parkland / industrial history. The pictures were meant to focus on textures and details, cause that's the current challenge at Photographica (speaking of which, does Cory know his site has pretty much collapsed? Pages never seem to finish loading, and I haven't been able to post a story all day.)

Anyway, I found a beautiful flower on the bank of the canal, full of bees, moths, butterflies and spiders. And I keep scootching closer, and closer to the flower to get different compositions and so on, when suddenly my foot shoots out from under me and I'm sliding feet first into the canal. (Have you ever tried keeping yourself from sliding down an embankment into a canal while protecting your camera gear and your cigar? I don't recommend it.)

Anyway, I caught myself at the last possible moment, with one foot in the water, the other scrabbling to push me back up one hand holding the camera, the other holding the cigar. A few seconds later, I managed to crab back up onto solid ground. I assume it was then that I managed get the poison up and down the insides of my forearms, although how is unclear, since I didn't see any poison ivy and, in fact, my hands were full of the aforementioned cigar and camera.

Oh, well. At least the pictures turned out well.

UPDATE: Holy smokes, it's spreading. I was standing in line with my daughter, "Lamb", for a water slide, and I was scratching my arms when she yelled at me "Stop thinking about it. Oh, and don't think about how it's spread to your stomach." She's right. Sigh.
< Lots of change | My vacation Journal >
Look at me, ma! I'm bloggin' from the campsite! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hey me too by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 12:01:14 PM EST
I'm writing this from the Poconos too!  Although I am not on vacation.

Click
Poison ivy rash doesn't spread by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 05:16:36 PM EST
Areas where you've had a lighter exposure, though, will take longer  for the rash to develop.

I don't envy you.

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe you got if from SWHTL? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 01:54:54 AM EST
If she's not allergic, got the oils on herself, and then you came into contact with her, you could get it.

Cortisone cream, btw, works fairly well. For really bad cases, oral steroids.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yup hydrocortisone and benadryl by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 03:22:27 AM EST
This biggest problem I'm having is that I start scratching while I'm asleep - which makes it itch more.

Shrug. I'll live. I'm just annoyed because I used to be very resistant to catching it - a few dots was it. This is a new experience.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

I used to get it bad every year by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:26:51 AM EST
Over time I seem to have built up a resistance to it. Get a mild dose in the spring, then no worries the rest of the year.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The oil does retain potency for quite some time by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:35:29 AM EST
I know of at least one case of a gardner sitting on a bench after working in an ivy patch all day. Someone in shorts sat on the same bench and later developed a rash all over the back of their legs.

The best thing to do if you know your exposed is to change clothes and take a cold shower with lots of soap. The problem is when you don't know you've been exposed.

Cicero, The Republic
I've had the poison ivy before . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:32:31 AM EST
. . . and quite badly (came back for 6 years ina  row). I found that calamine lotion worked the best for me to help ease the itching craziness.

Hopefully you didn't get it that bad.

I don't think it's that bad. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 01:10:08 PM EST
I'm just boggled how it keeps showing up in new places. We hiked up and down Bushkill Falls today, and I guess the exertion and sweat either pushed it out or increased the allergic reaction, or something, because now I've got a band of it across my stomach, when yesterday it was just 2-3 bumps.

It's weird, though. One minute it will be angry and red, then a few minutes later it will be faded and the color of an old bruise. Not like any poison ivy I've had before.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.