Print Story Lots of change
By motty (Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 08:48:06 AM EST) busking, blogging, fun loving cowwqas. (all tags)
Arguably too much, even for a busker.

They're making serious changes to the way the London Underground busking scheme works. I wrote about it here. Possibly a bit overstated, possibly not. We don't know yet. Everyone is a bit panicky.

I did a gig last Tuesday with a bassist and violin player and had it recorded. Please to have a listen.   If anyone wants to remix anything, I have the individual wavs of the vocals, guitar, bass and violin, so mail me. I'd love to hear some remixes.

Next Wednesday is my birthday and I have a gig at the blagclub in Notting Hill. Please to be coming if you are around and you fancy.

There's other stuff too but I forget.

< Sharq attack | Look at me, ma! I'm bloggin' from the campsite! >
Lots of change | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
As I am given to understand that the Brits say, by johnny (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 05:38:44 PM EST
good show old bean. I've listened to one tune, will listen to the others in the AM, as I'm too tired to prop my eyelids open my longer now.

Anyway, on the subject of "old bean", on Sesame Street a dozen or more years ago,(two dozen, is that possible?) Cookie Monster hosted Monsterpiece Theater, which featured a spoof of the movie "Chariots of Fire", staring Grover, and perhaps Oscar the Grouch. It was called, "Chariots of Fur".

Cookie Monster explained that it was the tale of a race between and Old Bean and an Old Chap. Now that's what I call movie making.

Meanwhile good to see you again, and I hope you made some $$.
Buy my books, dammit!

Cheers by motty (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 06:41:45 AM EST
'Old bean' is a minefield. I think I maybe once heard someone actually call someone 'old bean' out loud without the implication being 'be extremely careful you posh twat'.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
I like the songs by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 06:38:01 AM EST
with the violin especially.

When are you going on tour?

"It's the abstract I deal in; software, and donuts." MohammedNiyalSayeed

Cheers by motty (4.00 / 3) #4 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 06:43:16 AM EST
On tour as soon as I can sort it out. Holding of breath until then not recommended.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
So what would you like to see? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 08:11:18 AM EST
A return to the "licensed" buskers, or a free for all?

For my part, I'd like to see the bloody Carling logo removed and the buskers on a first come first served basis for each pitch, no booking.

As it stand it's like this by motty (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 09:01:47 AM EST
The licensing scheme has not ended, but is now run by London Underground directly instead of through a proxy management company. They know they need to implement a proper booking system PDQ but due to the speed of the change they don't have one. The interim measures for booking look very inadequate and are liable to be a bit chaotic. We'll find out just how chaotic tomorrow when the first round of new bookings under the new system happens.

Station staff really aren't interested in being involved in deciding who plays, so the first come first served basis for each pitch, no booking is a non-starter. This is pretty much the same problem with the free for all idea - LU are legally obliged to keep reasonable tabs on who is where which is why we all sign in and sign out like anyone else doing temporary work on LU premises. It needn't be much but there needs to be some system.

What would I like to see? I'd like to see a proper booking system, and I'm not really bothered who does it. The old one wasn't great but was better than two people armed with pencils, which is what we are told we have now. I'd also like to see some confirmation from LU of their claim that they are committed to carrying the scheme on. As it happens, it tentatively looks so far as if there is no call for panic just yet, but we won't know for sure until we see how the next couple of weeks pan out.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T