Print Story In the spirit of International brotherhood
Sport
By georgeha (Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 06:58:00 AM EST) beer, cricket, learning to ride (all tags)
I played cricket at our office picnic.

Plus, Into the Wild, Jack Kerouac's American Journey, Night of the New Magicians, homemade naan, three beer reviews and less.

RetroPoll: Best way to celebrate July 4th?

Friday was our office picnic, and it was a nice sunny day, not too hot. I ended up drinking a few beers, chatting, and having a nice time. I even ended up playing a little cricket. One of the Indian sorts brought a cricket bat and some tennis balls, he didn't bring a widget, we made do with a cooler. We didn't have the bondage gear, either, but then we were using tennis balls. One of my teammates is from Trinidad, so he knew the game, too. I bowled a few times, swung fruitlessly a few times, and caught the ball once, at least I can say I've played cricket, even if I don't know when to say Tally Ho, Jolly Good or Cheers Mate.

It was byob, and a six pack of Shock Top Belgian White was on sale at Wegman's, the description of it intrigued me. The description was the best part, it's a bland version of a Belgian White (not near as good as Blue Moon). Today I realized it was an Anheuser-Busch product, I should have known. Speaking of Blue Moon, my second was Honey Moon Summer Ale, from the Blue Moon family at Coors. It was pretty tasty. The third beer of the afternoon was Labatt's Honey Lager, another corny tasting cheap New World swill that might have tasted of honey. Not recommended.

The sun and sports took it's toll on me, I felt exhausted for the rest of the weekend (it was good weekend regardless). I did make an Indian meal on Sunday (in the continued spirit of International Brotherhood) with premade cans and pouches of Indian stuff, and garlic naan from a Golden Temple mix. The naan was the best part of the meal, even nearly twelve year old liked it.

Before the interweb, if you came across something cool and non-mainstream, it was a treat to meet someone who also know of it, there was a feeling of shared brotherhood. Nowadays, type in a few words in google and you find hundreds of people who have your same unique feelings. Case in point, Chris McCandless of Into the Wild fame. We read the book in the early 90's, and Mrs. Ha was always haunted by it. When I went to the library for the video exchange Saturday (gloriously solo, on my push bike), I saw Sean Penn's version of Into the Wild. It was a good watch, though it took us two nights to get all the way through it. I think he was overconfident to a fault, and difficult, I cringed when I saw him wade through an icy river in spring and then smash his rifle butt a few times, what a great way to screw your scope up. Getting back to the internet, there are pages all over the web dedicated to him, with a wide range of opinions, from ignorant asshole to inspired holy man.

Speaking of the Holy Fool, I just read Jack Kerouac's American Journey, a short book on Kerouac centering around his writing of On the Road. Maybe it's because I'm older, more settled and happier, but I enjoyed it less than McNally's Desolate Angel.

The last Magic Treehouse we read was Night of the New Magicians, in which Jack and Annie head to the Paris Exposition of 1889 to find four magicians before an evil sorceror does. It's hard to criticize children's books, but this is a weaker one, with too much recursion.

I'm off work on Thursday and Friday, without the cell even. We're heading down to Pennsylvania for a family reunion for a few days, I'm looking forward to the change in routine. I'm hoping to get some wrenchin' time in on the bike.

In push bike news, nearly seven year old wanted her training wheels back on, even though she rode 30 feet by herself. It's just going to take some confidence.

< God Bless America! | I'm waiting on downloads. >
In the spirit of International brotherhood | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nearly seven year old needs mean friends by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:04:35 AM EST
"Your bike has training wheels? <nelson>Ha-ha!</nelson>"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I blame the school by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:07:38 AM EST
it's an unusually small and caring one, where it's common for six graders to be friends with first graders.

If they coddle them, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:10:07 AM EST

it'll prevent them from picking themselves up by their own bootstraps later...

Nearly twelve year old learned some good lessons by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:12:32 AM EST
this year, when her teacher's weren't as proactive as they could be, namely, sometimes other people screw up and you have to work extra hard to compensate.

She also learned to hate Mac laptops and their flakiness and inability to be properly supported.

"Widget"? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:24:04 AM EST
I think you mean "Wicket".  But that refers to the playing area for the batsman (including the line on the ground), you are probably on about stumps (3 uprights) and bails (2 horiontals).

HTH!

Ha Ha ha! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 08:34:22 AM EST
I have trolled you!

OH NOES by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 09:50:27 AM EST
I FAIL IT.

There are pics of our party on the interwab by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 09:58:50 AM EST
where you can see us play cricket. I don't know why the guy named it lemonparty, there were very few lemons there, but search away on google.

Ah and there I was by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 05:41:32 PM EST
Thinking that you'd put the two receptionists in charge of the cups...

There was a really funny bit by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 01:31:58 AM EST
Where they couldn't tell whether the goat was a billy or a nanny, so they took some photos of the goat sexing, too. All there for googling.

Ignorant asshole by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:24:29 AM EST
Next question?

WIPO by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:44:05 AM EST
Visit the local phantom fireworks store on your way into PA -- PA residents, oddly enough, can't enter the store (must show ID to get into store), but the stores are all over PA.

Also, re into the wild: fool.

re: beer: full moon (winter type) from the blue moon team is also very good. I enjoy all 3 (that I've found) offerings of theirs.

Your request for access to: by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:46:01 AM EST
"http://www.fireworks.com/locations/pennsylvania.asp"

was denied by the content filter because it is categorized as:

"Weapons"

I'll have to see what's on 219 as I pass the border.

Doh. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 07:53:45 AM EST
OK, from 219, that means you'll be near Central PA.. Nuts. Where to from there ?

There's one right off I-90 as you come into PA from NY (and I-90 and Rt 20) (Listed as Erie/Buffalo).

That's prolly the closest. Others are in:

• Warfordsburg (on MD/PA border off I-70) - Where we go.
  • Matamoras (Off I-84 on PA/NJ border)
  • Easton  (Off I-78, on PA/NJ border)
  • Delaware Water gap (Near I-80, on PA/NJ border)

re: blue moon options by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 10:01:01 AM EST
They had one this spring... harvest moon, perhaps? Had a mild strawberry flavor to it.  It was tasty, but more popular with the ladies than myself.  I'm holding out for the full moon.

I'll keep my eye out by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 11:49:17 AM EST
I like the moon line so far.

RE: Training Wheels. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 11:49:01 AM EST
When I insisted on keeping my training wheels on my bike even though I could ride it perfectly well, dad just raised them up to the point where they hardly ever touched the ground. Trust me, one good confident corner where the training wheel suddenly digs in and dumps her and she'll want them off for good. Sure, it'll scar a bit, but we all need a few more knee scrapes.

Corners, that's the problem by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 12:03:54 PM EST
right now we just ride up and down the sidewalk, with no turns at speed.

Re: Anheuser-Busch by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 05:36:05 AM EST
How did you come to this realization, when you spent several hours on the pot?  American (mainstream) beer sucks.

Some Michelob products are okay by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 05:54:52 AM EST
so not every Annheuser-Busch product sucks, and Coors does make some okay beers.