Print Story Here's all I'm going to say about it.
Travel
By blixco (Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 03:10:10 PM EST) (all tags)
The bulk of it, anyhow.

1. My grandparents and my father are awesome, I don't care who you are. My grandmother can be pretty goddamn scary, though, in the Archie Bunker sense. I'm not about to try and change her or her opinion, but I do let her know when I disagree.
  2. Boston is probably the best city in the US outside of San Diego.
  3. Or Austin. My wife, my dogs, my house, and all my stuff are right here in the same place. There is beauty in that which I cannot describe in words.
Thanks, Bostonians. We had a great time, and will be back in less than the five years it took us.
< Why must you oppose me at every turn? | i love my job >
Here's all I'm going to say about it. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Also, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 03:18:29 PM EST
there was a pen shop in Boston like two blocks from where we were.

No doubt pen geeks in Boston know about this place.

I managed to escape buying only one pen. A Mazzuoli Officina Mini Micrometer. See the listed price? They have them on sale at the store for $49.99.

Oh hell yes. This pen, I can't describe this pen properly.  Mine is blue machined aluminum, and I bought a Parker 505 black refill for it (fine pt.) and a Parker 505 blue (medium).

The lady there, she had me sign the credit card slip with a Cartier Diablo roller pen. She was evil. EVIL.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I have walked past that store. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:15:37 PM EST
I am truly terrified of walking in, unless I can somehow forget my wallet at the office or something. I really want a Lamy 2000 fountain pen, extra fine nib, and some sort of ridiculous color of ink. Like, I don't know, Martian blood green or something.

I'm really glad ya'll came to visit. I, for one, had an absolute blast. I hope you can visit again soon.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM

We'll be back sooner rather than by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:23:53 PM EST
later, though we'll be in California before any of it.  But two years is the next big thing for Laurea....she'll be up there for like three months. Which means I'll be up for at least a week in the middle of it.

In re: the pen store, they always have sales, and there are some damn fine pieces in there.  I almost got a Japanese fountain pen. Next time.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Also, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:26:08 PM EST
you should check this out. I damn near got one, but I can't keep a fountain pen and the Japanese one that I was looking at was much more appealing to me.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
That's a beautiful pen. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:33:04 PM EST
I'm going to have to go there and try a few things out when I have a few extra bucks to spend.
Try usellpens.com by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 07:01:04 AM EST
Bad site design and you can't test pens very well of course, but they have a WIDE variety. I use a Hero fountain pen (cheap chinese-made knockoff of Parker) for daily use and love it. The Chinese made pens are actually very high quality, even for low-cost, because they're still popular daily-use writing instruments there. They're not made for export, they're the same domestic product sold in China.

And I usually use a nice blue (Lake Placid Blue, specifically) but my wife and I have a wide range of colors. I used orange for a while just for the hell of it.

oh, man by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 05:04:05 PM EST
like toxicfur, I've been afraid to set foot in that shop. Even the Web site is evil. I may have to reinstall my browser to eradicate memory of it ... Come back any time and corrupt us with our local temptations.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
having lived in San Diego and Boston by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 03:32:27 PM EST
I can say with great confidence that Boston wins.

Hands down.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

We spent a lot of cash by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:29:08 PM EST
on food.

Because the best Italian and seafood and oysters I've had in a LONG time were all within walking distance.

Man. I love that town, if for nothing other than the menu.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

East Coast port city by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 02:27:36 AM EST
Bawlmer has great Italian, Seafood, and Italian Seafood.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Obviously by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 05:09:21 PM EST
You are more about trivial things like "culture" and "history" than critical things like the weather.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
culture by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 08:37:32 PM EST
well, historical culture, anyway.

I'm a bit biased on this one.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

San Diego by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 12:15:41 AM EST
has quite a bit of culture and history, but it isn't colonial.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
That by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 03:01:42 AM EST
and things like 'not driving'.

SD weather is overrated.  Honestly, after 6 months of 70 degrees every day, I was ready to paint my apartment black and burst a nearby water main for some variety.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Pretty sure... by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:09:01 PM EST
it's just over 4 years. But who's counting?

Glad you made it home safely. Do come again. We'd love to have you cook in our kitchen sometime.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Since, I couldn't make it... by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 06:13:14 PM EST
You'd better be back. In fact... pack your shit. I'm coming for you.

Someday.

Well, you know what I mean.

--top hat--