Print Story Can anyone else see a simple solution?
At the risk of raising a controversial topic and being accused of racism and trolling, I just wondered if anyone else like me could see a startlingly simplistic solution to the problems of multiculturalism?

Or am I too much of a literalist? If you want to have sex on the beach, perhaps a conservative Islamic state is not the ideal location for such activities.

Likewise, if you have an abiding hatred of the kufr, perhaps London (one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world) is not the best place for you when there are other locations where the thinking is more aligned with your own.

What is exactly it about the psychotic modern Britain that is so appealing to the devout Muslim, likewise what is it about Dubai that depraved public shaggers find so attractive?

In this age of cheap air travel, can there be any reason for anyone to whinge about the cultural practices of the locale in which they find themselves? Surely if you fancy a public shag, rather than risking 6 years inside, you should take a £300 flight to somewhere where that sort of thing is condoned.

Perhaps its time we were made to sign waivers at the border, agreeing to abide by local customs, since we are presumably traveling to these foreign countries of our own free will.

Or is it just me?

< Long Day | I'm Finally Learning Math >
Can anyone else see a simple solution? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's not really a problem of multiculturalism by theboz (4.00 / 7) #1 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 07:08:47 PM EST
It's a problem of extremists trying to push their beliefs on others.  It's no different than extremist Christians in the U.S. trying to push their fucking religion down our throats through the government, e.g. banning stem cell research because jeebus might think fertilized eggs are full human beings whose feelings are hurt, or the many parts of the U.S. that have "blue laws" or even dry counties where alcohol is still prohibited.
- - - - -
But it *is* different: by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 02:03:34 PM EST

Compare and contrast the fervor, methodology, and transnational goals of Islamic extremists to what are, for the most part, just lazy intrusive know-it-alls. Christians already went through their Middle Aged Growth Period. Islam is going through the 600th consecutive year of theirs. Or, more precisely, I would rather be yelled at by a douchebag like Al Gore's friend, Fred Phelps, than beheaded by a Zarqawi, or whoever has replaced him as Top Sociopathic Religious Extremist for Islam.

You're conflating two different things by theboz (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 07:00:57 PM EST
Groups like al Qaeda are a fringe group, but the diary was talking about conservative muslims.  That's like comparing an abortion clinic bomber to James Dobson.  There's a huge difference in people being terrorists and committing violence, and people who simply want their way of life to be the standard by whining.
- - - - -
People are stupid by jump the ladder (4.00 / 5) #2 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 10:14:58 PM EST
Anyway it's an offense in the UK to have sex in a public place. The woman in the Independent article was warned by the Dubai police to stop having sex in a public place but she continued. They don't exactly sound like the Saudi religious police if they issued her a warning.

As for muslim moaners over here, it's like everyone else, they want to have their cake and it as in they want all the advantages of living in a prosperous Western society but also their religious sensibilities enforced.

Economy travellers . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 02:31:49 AM EST
. . . don't go to Dubai. Sometimes the rich get a little presumptuous, even a tad hoity-toity, it would seem.

I've been on nicer, more private beaches with more bearable weather for 1/20th the price . . .

The problem? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 06:56:37 AM EST

The problem is that Muslims believe they are required to bring the rest of the world to islam.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Not all muslims by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 07:51:31 AM EST
Just the angry, shouty types you get in the media. Anyway the no-alcohol thing is going to be a very hard sell in the UK.

The Muslims I know drink by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 07:57:43 AM EST
somewhere there's an exception for alcohol about the strength of date wine, or beer, or mojitos.

Mead certainly qualifies by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 05:38:02 PM EST
in not being "of the vine or the fields". I'm pretty sure that you can't find any restricted ingredient's left after whatever they do to Bud.

Wumpus

Some people like to get upset by Herring (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 09:29:57 AM EST
Why else did Mary Whitehouse have a telly?

Fuck em I say. Burn the intolerant now.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

So do Christians. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 01:42:45 PM EST

Christians want to convert everyone to Islam? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 01:45:09 PM EST
Why?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Convert and I'll tell you. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 02:03:51 PM EST

Generally, not by force, anymore. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 02:19:24 PM EST
But when did I say they didn't?

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
oh yeah, MR? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 04:34:23 PM EST
When did I say that you said they didn't?

Take that!