Print Story She was born in a crossfire hurricane
Cheese
By georgeha (Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 06:28:02 AM EST) Bertha, cell phones, thai food (all tags)
well, a hurricane named Bertha, which we'll also blame on ruining Sunday's amusement park plans.

Plus, hurray for corporatism, Moto W755, Going Postal, Twisted, back in business, heading to NoVa, and less.

Poll: Preferred pizza toppings?

When you're born in summer, it's probably not uncommon to have your birthdays coincide with hurricanes, and if you're born at the beginning of the hurricane season, it's not uncommon to have your birthday hurricane have the same letter. Case in point, twelve year old was born when Hurricane Bertha was raining on New Hampshire, and we're blaming Sunday's rain on Bertha. Twelve year old wasn't able to go to the local amusement park, but she did get to bring Porsche-girl to my parents house and they had a fun time in spite of weather. Later this summer we'll go to the amusement park. maybe even twice.

Getting a cell phone for twelve year old was a lot less painful than I expected. I was planning on dropping $150 on a phone and plan, and anticipating resistance on getting a reasonably priced (err, lowest priced) phone.

Thanks to my corporation, which has a deal with the cell carrier, the phone (moto W755) was free instead of $90 with a $70 rebate, activation was waived ($35), accessories were 25% off, and the monthly plan was 20% off. Getting me a similar phone and line added would only be about $10 more a month compared to my current bareboned Nokia 1100 through Tracfone, maybe next year. On the other hand, the battery life is short, with the constant pictures and videos, she wears it out in a day. Maybe it will last longer when the novelty wears off.

It's also CDMA, so I can't take her phone and replace the SIM from my Nokia 1100 if we needed to.

Of course, it's not the end of the birthday celebrations, one tiny party isn't enough, we're hosting a slightly larger (6 other friends) party at the park on Friday. We may even order a pizza without cheese, for allergy reasons and pain in the ass reasons (twelve year old does not like cheese).

This weekend's movie was Twisted, a mediocre thriller with Ashley Judd as the too gaminish hard drinking cop suspected of murdering lecherous guys, Andy Garcia as the cynical cop suspected of murdering lecherous guys who is also interested in Ashley Judd, and Samuel Jackson as the sage older cop acting as Judd's mentor. There were nice shots of the San Francisco waterfront.

I got to the local to my job library branch last week and decided to read another Discworld, Going Postal. I tried to read it over a week, but I had trouble sleeping last night, so I finished it. It was in the vein of The Truth, Carrot makes a cameo, there's quite a bit if Vetinari, but it's mostly Moist Von Lipwig and Adora Belle Dearhart. There's also a lot of hackerish elements, including the Smoking Gnu. It's not a Watch novel, but better than most.

A new Asian restaurant has opened around the corner, where the old one used to be, it's now New Ming Restaurant, and we ordered from them on Friday. The masuman was good, the salad not as good, and I didn't care too much for the steamed dumplings, though I'm not a dumpling kind of guy. Regardless, the leftovers are lunch.

Mrs. Ha got a Friday afternoon off, we're planning on heading down to NoVa at the end of July.

Last night we went to preschool_mom's for a birthday party for their one year old, and got a variety of pizza. Pineapple on a pizza is tasty.

< The Great Depression of 2008 | Edged out >
She was born in a crossfire hurricane | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: Cheese steak meat. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 06:37:23 AM EST
Oh, man. Every now and then our office gets a pizza lunch and one of the pies will have about 3 pounds of cheese steak meat on it. There is much waddling on those days, let me tell you.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
your poll by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 06:51:40 AM EST
It lacks tuna and capers.

You Europeans are weird by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 07:04:29 AM EST

Chorizo by Herring (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 09:25:36 AM EST
SB agrees with me here - pepperoni is lame. Chorizo is where it's at.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Maybe I have an uneducated gob by hulver (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 11:09:27 PM EST
But Chorizo always comes across as a bit bland for me.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
WIPO by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 07:40:11 AM EST
more cheese.

While in NoVA, you can visit Busch Gardens, or Williamsburg, and I'd buy you more beer.

We might actually be up in the finger lakes for a long weekend in mid/late Aug -- leave tyke with folks for a getaway. Looking to fly into Rochester or Syracuse.

Another 3+ hours of driving, each way by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 07:54:34 AM EST
on top of the 9+ it will take to get there, no way.

I expect we'll spend our time playing Polly Pockets, checking out the neighborhood pool, or maybe getting to a transit station to go into DC. I'd like to check out the museum at Dulles, but I don't know if seven year old girls are their target audience.

Where abouts in the Finger Lakes? It's good to get away from the spawn, once in a while.

Dulles Air and Space by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 11:34:28 AM EST
They have the Enterprise there -- the Space Shuttle mockup. It's pretty sweet. They also have more foreign planes than most air and space museums tend to have.

I'd recommend against the Cryptography Museum by Fort Meade. But the Historic Electronic Warfare Museum by BWI is pretty good, if a little closely focussed.

Loudon to BWI and back? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 11:39:36 AM EST
I'm sorry, I don't see me driving 9+ hours on Thursday, 6+ hours to and from BWI on Friday or Saturday, and then 9+ hours on Sunday.

Plus I don't see the Polly Pocket/My Little Pony crossover appeal.

There can be more than one by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 08:45:09 AM EST
sauce. Personally, a good pesto is equally tasty to the standard tomato.

I really like our white sauce pizzas by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 08:48:48 AM EST
a white sauce (spacing on the name and link), mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, maybe mushrooms, salty goodness!

WIPO by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 09:04:18 AM EST
Not a topping, but you just haven't lived until you've had a proper Buffalo chicken pizza.

I was thinking of that when I listed chicken by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 09:05:11 AM EST
there may be other chicken based toppings, but the one I'm aware of are chicken wing derived.

WIPO: by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 09:32:41 AM EST