Print Story And a good time..
Husi Stock
By ana (Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 02:30:28 AM EST) husistock (all tags)
was had by most.

Party. Was fun. I don't normally do the party thing, but this'n was good.

Festivities began with the weekly writing chat (details here. Kellnerin and aethucyn showed up at 1 to write in our parlor. After some relatively minimal fretting about connections (and thanks be to aphrael for letting me poach on his server for irc), it went pretty well, I thought.

Way too much food, in the usual way.

Some interesting music, mostly with blixco behind iGrrrl's guitar. Though she sang a few things, and I tried one (with my uncalloused fingers), and found the guitar was tuned rather differently from mine (maybe a 4th lower?). Or maybe my vocal memory is fading or something.

Must work on those callouses.

Haven't had ginger beer in forever; it was good. Half a bottle of Powers' Gold Label went to fuel the music.

I recorded lots of banter and a little music on my iPod; I'll be listening and seeing what, if anything, can be done with all of it. Stay tuned to a server near you.

The dogs did pretty well. We were expecting Rocky (75-pound viszla) to be overwhelmed and try to hide, but he worked the crowd all evening, and except for trying to help himself to the unguarded food on the table (after we adjourned to the patio, which is behind a hedge from the street, for music-making), was a good dog. We thought Rusti would be fine; she's a people-dog, and she was fine until the kiddies arrived. Not sure what was up with that, but she wanted a piece of them, all evening. So she got a couple time-outs, and spent most of the time being held on toxicfur's (or my) lap, hand firmly on the collar, quivering. Dunno what's up with that.

Dramatis personae, if memory serves: toxicfur and myself; Kellnerin, Aethucyn, jimgon, blixco & DrL, and rizzo with Lady Jane. Edited to add: iGrrrl and the two iKiids.

There might be some rizzo-photographed music vids.

Last night after everyone left we found a case of ginger beer, a case of root beer, a salad, and some sunglasses.

Bottom line: A++++ would host this crowd again.

< Leveraging Synergy July 7-July 13 | I am Iron Man. >
And a good time.. | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ob: Quote by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 03:00:26 AM EST
Two cases of beer, some chow and some shades ?
Shoot, that's enough for a night out in Vegas !

Dogs - maybe trying for a higher place in the pack by looking for the weakest ?

Beer... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 03:08:18 AM EST
non-alcoholic, in this case. In USistan, "root beer", and apparently "ginger beer" is a soft drink. Basically flavored carbonated sugar-water.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I think root beer in the US by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:03:33 AM EST
is what Auians call creaming soda, which is different again in the US. All very confusing. Thank god for the Coke/Pepsi duopoly to give us a universal fizzy drink (soda pop) tongue.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I think we should re-visit by Phage (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:25:25 AM EST
The colour schemes in crisp/chip packaging...

Yellow for Marmite? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 11:50:31 AM EST
Let's not even go to the blue/green issue, just because.

Well, frankly, blue salt and vinegar people use vi. Oops, I went there.

Jack Russell -- by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:57:54 AM EST
I've never seen her act aggressive toward people, and I think it was likely that she was frightened, rather than trying to be dominant. When I was holding her, her tail was tucked between her legs, and she had insecure body language. I've seen her act that way with dogs, and she was like that a lot of the time when I first brought her here, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

That said, the kids did a fantastic job of dealing with her, especially K, who used the right body language to tell her to just go away. I was really sad (and really, really friggin' annoyed with her) that she scared MJ, though.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM

Terriers by Phage (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 10:29:50 PM EST
Can be tricky <sigh>
Timeout is probably the best approach. If scared, they are away in a safe place.

It was excellent. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:57:25 AM EST
The food was great...and there was a heck of a lot of it.  toxicfur is quite good at the grill; next time we'll have to cook something ridiculous. I did my share at eating enough for at least two people.

And drinking enough scotch and whiskey for at least two people, though that bottle of Powers was helped along by rizzo. I warned him, and y'all: that stuff drinks like Kool Aide(tm), and should not be handled lightly.

I do not fear the rizzo media.  Bring it on, I say.  I have no political aspirations, and my co-workers are very aware of my drunken antics.

A damn fine time, though.  Your house is great, the neighborhood must be OK to have not called the cops on my singing.  Getting to see everyone and hang out was really fantastic after my week of being in the back woods.

Plus, kellnerin brought the whisky (a Talisker that is perfect, by the way) and I hope to have brought the weasel in spirit at least. I'm not nearly as bombastic these days as I used to be.  I'd blame age, but I suspect jet lag.

I really like this town.  And you people. And vacations.  Man, do I like vacations.

Right then.  It is almost 11am...time for breakfast.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Was a delight. by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:13:24 AM EST
I'm not sure what a "weasel" is in this connection, but you may consider it brung.

Also, you have a standing invitation to cook whatever you like in our kitchen, anytime you're within range.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Perhaps... by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:16:19 AM EST
a carnival weasel.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

cheese weasel? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 01:22:11 PM EST
was good by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:48:38 AM EST

K and MJ enjoyed being there. K liked rizzo and Lady Jane's new puppy, and MJ liked Rocky quite a bit. I think I left my salad. Pls eat K thnx bye

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

One presumes... by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:12:27 AM EST
you'll be wanting the bowl and spoon/fork back, and possibly the mason jar with the dressing in it.

Also, are they your sunglasses?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Those are mine. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 10:18:54 AM EST
I may have to send shipping info + some cash; those things have been with me for years.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Uh. by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 10:29:26 AM EST
You're gonna be around still tomorrow, right? toxicfur will be going in to Boston, I think, tomorrow for work and could meet up with you briefly if you're around.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

We're here until Wednesday morning, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 10:41:06 AM EST
and are planning a late late lunch with Jim and his wife tomorrow...but we can certainly meet up somewhere I'd think.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I'll PM my cell phone number. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 10:52:02 AM EST
I work in Chinatown, but I'll be going to Medford for a meeting in the afternoon. So I'll be around morning, and then again later in the afternoon. I'm sure I can find some time to get them to you.
Okay, serious question by Clipper Ship (1.50 / 4) #11 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 09:42:30 AM EST
How many of you accidentally referred to someone there by their Husi name? Admit it. It had to happen at least once, now.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Why would people not want to answer this? by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 03:09:22 AM EST
It's a legit question. It's how you know each other.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

duh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 04:04:05 AM EST
Clearly nobody would do it by accident.

What, is everyone there just completely by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 04:06:09 AM EST
and totally in possession of the best memories evar and prone to not making any mistakes? I think I'd do it just on principle.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Very nice time indeed by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 11:19:48 AM EST
Thank you for hosting.  Toxicfur, iGrrrl and I discussed another family gathering at iGrrrl's house before summer's end.

---------------
will probably be.... by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:25:06 PM EST
After summer's end. It was a fluke that we were in town, but I still say, Fun!  Also, we have a sledding hill in the back yard.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

laughter and forgetting by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 02:57:20 PM EST
Somewhere along the way I lost a hair clip. S'ok; it's not a very good one. I also had a hostess gift I meant to bring for you, but forgot in my haste to get out the door in the (barely) morning.

Next time I'm there for a brunch chat I'll have to do as toxicfur suggested and bring the rum to go with the ginger beer. Outside of coffee there can surely be no drink more appropriate for our weekly writing ritual than a Dark & Stormy.

Thanks again to both of you for hosting. 'Twas a fine time, terrific food, and a great crowd. My calendar is open for whenever the stars align for another such gathering.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Dark and stormy by ana (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 04:01:15 PM EST
Perhaps, in deference to our antipodean friends, we should have a writing chat at 1am instead of 1pm. Then the Dark and Stormy theme would fit right in.

Had a look around for the hair clip; no joy yet. I think I saw you take it off whilst sitting on the patio near the herb garden. We'll have another look in the morning when it's not quite so dark (but perhaps more stormy?) out.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

no worries by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 02:17:08 PM EST
I did take it off around then, and clipped it to a belt loop as is my habit. At some point I noticed that it had unclipped itself, as has been its habit of late, which is why I recently procured some backup means of ponytailing my hair. I reclipped it, but it must have re-unclipped itself, which I take to mean that we were fated to part ways. Like they say: if you are indifferent to something, set it free.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
I wonder, by ana (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 03:44:31 PM EST
having looked again without finding it, if it perhaps fell into one of the folding chairs, and thus found its way to the bottom of one of the chair-carrying bags.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

might could've by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 04:11:39 PM EST
in which case I'll find it next time I need outdoor chairs ...

Thanks again for looking.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

I still want to do... by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:26:24 PM EST
...the thing where people bring food, and I Make Something out of it.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

that would by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 02:19:25 PM EST
be wonderful. D and I would certainly be up for such a thing with a weekortwo's notice.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
I had a fine time as well by aethucyn (4.00 / 2) #22 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:23:42 PM EST
though I admit that I'm not used to spending so much time in the company of children and dogs. Which is not a comment on the behavior of either such beings, all were well behaved, but by the end of the evening, I was somewhat relieved to be in the comparative stillness of a moving train. Otherwise, I ate, I drank, I listened to music, and not much was expecting of me, as I said a fine day. Next time, maybe I'll find a pitcher and bring gazpacho because there obviously wasn't enough food.

A most wonderful afternoon by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 03:22:15 PM EST
that I hope to repeat again soon! And if the Boston crowd should wish venture north, we'd be happy to host an event in Portland.

Thanks again for hosting!

-----------------------------------------