Print Story I come in the name of the mutha fuckin lode
Food
By theboz (Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:25:34 AM EST) (all tags)
Not a lot has been going on, so it's probably high time for me to write a diary before I become too much of a stranger here.

Life

So, like I said, not a whole lot is going on.  I'm going to be starting the gym again hopefully next week unless people continue to sabotage it.  Other than that, everything is going well, nothing out of the ordinary, apart from the other things listed below.

Daughter Update

She's walking like a pro now.  Actually, running too.  She goes all over the place, and we take her for walks some outside now.  She also talks to some degree.  She can say things like mama, dada, wawa, no, go, and a few other things.  She is playing a lot more, and is making friends around our neighborhood.

New Friends

We've met with a few neighbors recently, and seem to be getting along well with them.  The first group is a Vietnamese couple across the street with a three year old girl.  Beside them is a Mexican couple (who are from either a middle class or upper class family, like my wife, which is hard to find in the U.S.) with a three year old boy.  We all have gotten together a few times, and they're good people.

Trip to Pennsylvania

We went to PA to visit family the weekend prior to the 4th.  It was a good trip, and we spent a lot of time with people we haven't seen for years, and everyone loved my daughter.  She really stole the show.  My three year old cousin was probably the most excited to see her and brought her a new shirt that blinks as well as some other stuff.  We also went to see the Pennsylvania Dutch festival, ate shoofly pie, and had a good time.  We also visited a local microbrewery/restaurant that had some great beer that tasted like Hoegaarden.

Sickness

We all, unfortunately, got sick after the trip.  Not immediately, but over the weekend of the 4th, then my daughter got sick last week, with a fever of 102.  Fortunately, she's getting better now, so we're able to get out of the house some now.

Video Games

Super Smash Bros is still a lot of fun, on the rare occasions that I get to play video games.  Beyond that, I'm both looking forward to and pensive about the new Castlevania fighting game coming out for the Wii.  I love Castlevania, but there hasn't been a good game in that series since the last good ones were for the SNES and Genesis.  I'm probably a heretic, but I found Symphony of the Night to be way too boring, as well as the GBA games.  Don't even get me started on the 3D Castlevania games, which were pieces of shit.  Also, in other news I find it interesting that they are making a new 8-bit Mega Man.  I used to love playing Mega Man back in the day, so it's great to see they are returning it to it's roots.

Movies

Did anyone else see "No Country For Old Men" and find it to be dull?  I don't know why it won any awards.  We saw some other movies that were good, but I forget what they were.

Party

We're going to have to have a party later summer I think.  Those of you in the Houston area will be given notice, but right now I'm wanting to have some people over to eat ceviche, maybe I'll buy a grill or something, and other things.  We need to get some more furniture and whatnot first, but it would be nice to have a get together.  I'll post something here when I have more specifics, but I'm thinking perhaps in September.

Politics

I'll be voting for Barack Obama.  There's no question about that.  However, the guy is a prick politician.  He doesn't seem to understand the constitution, he is apparently taking the loser advice from Democratic hacks that try to push him to the center, and I have no illusion that he will actually represent "change" or provide the FDR-like leadership that the U.S. needs to survive.  We're facing the biggest financial crisis since the great depression, an unprecedented redistribution of wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich, and an unthinkable impending crisis with catastrophic climate change.  Obama simply won't do what is necessary to address these things.

McCain, on the other hand, is sort of a Captain Ahab type.  He would doom us and probably put the last few nails in the coffin that Bush put the U.S. into.  Still, Obama would be a nice break, sort of like a glass of water while in Hell.

Obama's New Church

Speaking of religious topics like Hell and Obama, after the Rev. Wright fiasco (which was fabricated by the media, since Rev. Wright was no different than most black preachers), Obama left his church.  Here is his new preacher:

< aiiiiaiiiiaiii | The big Brown mess we're in - part 3 >
I come in the name of the mutha fuckin lode | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
middle class or upper class family by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:05:24 AM EST
Is it just me, or do middle/upper class Mexicans look as different from average Mexicans as USian whites look from blacks?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You're correct by theboz (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:38:20 AM EST
There is a similarity.  I brought in a newspaper recently with the article on my daughter's baptism down in Mexico last year, and my coworker of Mexican heritage saw the photos of the society section of the paper and was shocked at how white everyone was.  So yes, there is definitely a difference, but I think the cultural differences in some ways go deeper.  Someone could probably write a book about it.
- - - - -
Somebody wrote that book already. by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 01:43:20 PM EST
Octavio Paz (Literature Nobel Prize winner) wrote "El laberinto de la soledad" ("Labyrinth of solitude" I think would be the translation) where he dissects pretty accurately what it means to be Mexican.

Contrary to what you think, he arrives to the exact opposite conclusion: Mexicans unite in the cultural sphere: language, religion, music and food.

The Native Americans strive to speak Spanish as a means to social mobility, where the rest of civilized cultural life happens.

If you are Mexican a sure thing is that you will be a baptised Catholic (even if you don't care about religion at all, even if you change religion later, we have many "atheists thanks to the grace of God" roaming our streets) which gives a common point of cultural reference to all of us (Mexican Catholicism is very peculiar, even non religious people can identify with common rites and practices).

All Mexicans resort to the same music when they need to let their hair down, a combination of canciones rancheras (mariachi songs), tropical (cumbia, salsa, danzon, mambo) and now more often norte&a (country music often glorifying dubious characters) bounds the nation, it is not unusual to see posh kids or families paying substantial amounts of money for good mariachi bands and it is not rare that posh kids marry dressed in full charro regalia (which is considered appropriate attire in cases when a tuxedo would also do). A very funny example of this was in the movie "Silent Lights" where a menonite chap, in anticipation of meeting his lover, starts to sing in perfect Spanish a very suggestive song known to all in Mexico.

Finally the food. Two examples about this: if you go to Polanco neighbourhood in Mexico City you may say Jewish people eating tacos or tortas in the street (even pork filled!) sharing the stands with much humbler people (every Mexican knows that a taco does not bloody use a hard tortilla shell btw). In one occasion a rich industrialist, who was part time politician, invited all of his lower house colleagues for lunch. The delectable dish chosen? Tortas, which were equally enjoyed by the reactionary right wing PAN benches (normally wealthy people), the the ruling party (mostly people of humbler origins and middle class) and the far left including the then Communist party members, mostly union leaders, Native Americans and social fighters.

Tacos and tortas, the glue of the nation.

Class and race in Mexico by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #10 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:58:10 AM EST
The amount of Indian blood correlates really well with class in Mexico.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
glad you're still alive! by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:06:55 AM EST
contacting mrs. theboz has been on stacky's todo list for some time now.  the dude is into everything.  every.  thing.  still not walking, but that's a short step from where we are today.  he and your girl will have all sorts of fun figuring out what hasn't been locked up or nailed down.

expect notice of a birthday party for the little man soonish!  where did the time go?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Me too by theboz (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:42:19 AM EST
If not, what would happen to all my stuff?

Anyway, we're looking forward to the invite to the party.  We appreciated the gift you guys gave to Sofia, in fact she listens to the CD sometimes and we read the book to her regularly.

Also, my wife hasn't had time to shop at the farmer's market over by 610 lately, and with the extreme heat, I don't know that I'd want to be outside for more than 5 minutes anyway.

In any case, we look forward to whenever we can hang out with you all again.  It's just that in this time of the year, we don't go out much.
- - - - -

Movies by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:26:38 AM EST
If you were into Iron Man you may not be No Country For Old Men material.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I like all sorts of stuff by theboz (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:29:53 AM EST
The last Tommy Lee Jones west Texas movie was pretty good and reminded me a bit of the older westerns.  This one had promise, but fizzled out towards the end.
- - - - -
I thought it was awesome. by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:38:37 AM EST
Any movie where the killer uses a pressurized air hammer is okay with me.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

That was one of the few good things by theboz (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:44:51 AM EST
There were some things that I liked, don't get me wrong, but I saw the whole film as a sloppily veiled allegory for Tommy Lee Jones retiring from acting.
- - - - -
It's a Cormac McCarthy book by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:37:24 AM EST
Maybe the TL Jones retiring thing is an add-on? He's retiring?

---------------

Destroy All Planets

That's what it seemed like by theboz (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:43:38 AM EST
I knew it was a book, although not one I would be likely to read.  I had just assumed that the Tommy Lee Jones character was an add on of a minor character in the book that he used to bookend the actual plot in order to talk about himself.
- - - - -
One trip to Pennsylvania and she already knows by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:43:18 AM EST

the word "Wawa"? Scary how fast she learns...

What I dread by theboz (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08:04:12 AM EST
I dread her learning some of the bad language I use, although I try not to say it around her too much.
- - - - -
I took wawa as water by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 06:04:15 PM EST
Now if she was saying 'Sheetz' I'd be concerned.

Click
Yes, wawa was water by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07:55:18 PM EST

I was making a joke. Sometimes jokes are less funny when someone comes along and makes the same punchline a second time. Weird, that.

oh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 03:41:44 PM EST
hahahahaha good one!

Click
Preacher by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 02:29:09 PM EST
Whoever does that guy's video editing / special effects needs some sort of public access award.
____
The Boz speaks for me by johnny (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05:44:35 PM EST
I couldn't a said it better in a million years:

Buy my books, dammit!