Print Story Left hand, meet right hand
Working life
By wiredog (Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 03:57:27 AM EST) (all tags)
You guys need to keep each other apprised of what you're doing.

After I posted yesterday's diary about the impending layoff I got a Letter From Corporate. I figured it was the Official Layoff Notice. Nope.

I got a raise. Not the regular yearly raise that comes after I've been here for a year, but a Merit Raise that I got for making the customer happy. 2%! Not much, but nice.

So I got a raise (effective July 1) and laid off (effective July 31) on the same day.

My co-workers wondered about the laughter but, really, what else can you do?

< Ripping up a floor is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to find | Now we are seven >
Left hand, meet right hand | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
comedy gold... by clock (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:01:53 AM EST
...wow.  that rocks!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:16:03 AM EST
Everyone I tell gets, first, a "wtf" look, then they laugh.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:01:55 AM EST
Beer

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Congratulations by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:20:36 AM EST
... commiserations ...

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

I suggest you start drinking heavily. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:16:29 AM EST
Or heavier. Which ever is appropriate for you.

So how does your raise affect your severance pay?

Severance pay? In George Bush's America? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:25:46 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well -- yes. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:29:41 AM EST
Don't they still give you something just to keep you from coming back and shooting up the place? I mean, as a contractor, I haven't seen anything but the butt-end of a contract for twelve years now. But I still thought "real" employees got some kind of "please go away and don't come back" treatment besides the two security guards and a brick in a boot in the back alley...

we had a guy who was laid off with notice by webwench (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:54:18 AM EST
and during his working 60-day notice (before the severanmce even kicks in), they gave him a raise.

Getting more attention than you since 1998. Ya ya!

Damn. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:58:32 AM EST
Have you considered a career in just-in-time inventory management of prepared italian foods? I hear that pays pretty well if you have your own car.

Ugh. Is your clearance still valid? Those were worth good money a year or two ago....

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

It's valid by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 06:15:04 AM EST
Just finished a phone interview. Got interviews Monday and Tuesday. Had interviews this past Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and yesterday.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's good. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 06:16:55 AM EST
The cost of doing a security check on some random schmo is a great advantage for you.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Classic! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 11:34:02 AM EST